Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:15 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, he was supposed to speak at a WWI event, but never showed because of rain. Maybe Churchill, Eisenhower, et all will intervene with another rainy day. We can hope. My dad was in the US Army Aircorps that was assigned to assist the Royal Army in north Africa, but he always said that one of his cousins died on D Day.
Sorry to quibble, but it's such a British thing: It's the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, but not the Royal Army. Depending on who you ask, it goes back to Alfred the Great, Henry VIII or Cromwell (I said it was a British thing), but the fact remains: Certain regiments are royal, but the army as such is not. Has to do with the fact that regiments used to be raised and commanded by noblemen, whereas warships belonged to the Crown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2019, 02:14 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
The u.s. doesn't have trading partners under the current administration's policies. Or haven't you heard ... America First.
US tariffs are a cause for 'concern' for British companies

"Our margins in the US are extremely thin - very low. So having a 25% tariff on top of that completely kills the market for us in America. Out of the 50 countries we deal with, America is our greatest concern.

"If it's a long-term tariff we may have to completely pull out of the US, after over 60 years. That would mean redundancies and closing our plant."

And there is nothing in Trump's actions that could lead anyone with eyes to believe he knows what the word respect even means. He is also a fickle person and I think that May is very brave to meet with him. I've seen what he does to people; I wouldn't meet with him if I were her.
What do you think would be a better policy choice for an energy-intensive British steel industry?

1. Pursuing a short-term carve-out from the Trump tariffs, as part of an independent sovereign nation.
2. Facing medium-to-long-term insolvency under an increasingly punitive ETS regime, under the EU.

Old 06-02-2019, 02:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Sorry to quibble, but it's such a British thing: It's the Royal Navy and the Royal Air Force, but not the Royal Army. Depending on who you ask, it goes back to Alfred the Great, Henry VIII or Cromwell (I said it was a British thing), but the fact remains: Certain regiments are royal, but the army as such is not. Has to do with the fact that regiments used to be raised and commanded by noblemen, whereas warships belonged to the Crown.
Whatever works for you. As I've said, my dad was in the US Army Aircorps and was with a group assigned to accompany Montgomery as he chased after Rommel, across north Africa. Does that suit you? My actual point was that one of my father's cousins died on D Day.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:41 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
According to CNN,

“For the Trump's official visit, Buckingham Palace is pulling out all of the Royal stops befitting a world leader. An official state visit requires the formal invitation of the Queen to a head of state "on the advice of the Foreign and Commonwealth office," per Buckingham Palace, and usually involves a ceremonial welcome, a state banquet, other meetings with British officials and a formal farewell.”

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/06/01/pol...www.cnn.com%2F

Doesn’t sound all that low key.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:49 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 3 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The English Civil War (1642 –1651) saw Cromwell's Parliamentarian New Model Army (Roundheads) defeat the Royalist (Cavalier) Army, and although the Monarchy was later restored as Head of State and Head of the Armed Forces most of the political power was transferred to Parliament, and as you righly point out Armies and Regiments were often raised by noblemen.

New Model Army - Wikipedia

The Cardwell Reforms (1868-74) also played a significant role in modernising the British Army in to the force we recognise today.

Cardwell Reforms - Wikipedia

As well as the Queen who is The Commander-in-chief of the British Armed Force, each regiment has a Colonel-in-Chief appinted by the Queen, for instance in terms of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, the Colonel-in-Chief is HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

Colonel-in-chief - Wikipedia

Last edited by Brave New World; 06-02-2019 at 04:02 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 04:35 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The English Civil War (1642 –1651) saw Cromwell's Parliamentarian New Model Army (Roundheads) defeat the Royalist (Cavalier) Army, and although the Monarchy was later restored as Head of State and Head of the Armed Forces most of the political power was transferred to Parliament, and as you righly point out Armies and Regiments were often raised by noblemen.

New Model Army - Wikipedia

The Cardwell Reforms (1868-74) also played a significant role in modernising the British Army in to the force we recognise today.

Cardwell Reforms - Wikipedia

As well as the Queen who is The Commander-in-chief of the British Armed Force, each regiment has a Colonel-in-Chief appinted by the Queen, for instance in terms of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, the Colonel-in-Chief is HM Queen Margrethe II of Denmark.

Colonel-in-chief - Wikipedia

I'll allow you to take my scene-setter off-topic during the lull before the storm ....

Old 06-02-2019, 05:06 AM

4,905 posts, read 2,058,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
And a sad example of how far the USA has fallen since then. Eisenhower, Churchill and all the other great heroes of that tragic war. How about all the brave men who gave their lives for our freedom. But 75 years later we send them Trump. Trump, who never served, doesn't know or care, corrupt, only cares about money.
For all the liberals that attempt to criticize President Trump for not serving in the Armed Forces of the United States, I can almost agree with you on that one issue since I believe that the President, male or female, should have served in military, Active/Reserves/National Guard prior to being elected as Commander and Chief.

With that said, just remember that Bill Clinton and Obama never served in the military as well. Neither has Hillary Clinton or Comrade Bernie Sanders (Who met with Soviet government officials during the Cold War.).... Or most, if not all, of the democrats that will be running in 2020. As for only caring about money, that would be Hillary. Who sold her influence to the highest bidder, while serving in public office, for her own and her family's enrichment.

Btw, Hillary's lie about being under "sniper fire" doesn't count as a combat deployment.

It's sad, but the last election was about the "lesser of two evils" and I think most of the world knows that too. I'm sure the British elite will turn their collective noises at Trump, but I bet that the average working Briton likes this "American." The sad thing is that the MSM will not show any positive images of Trump, just the negative stuff, which will most likely be very misleading, at best.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:40 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Trump visits merrie olde England

Finally we got rid of Obama who could do nothing but apologize for America.
Trump is actually making the US stronger after so many failed Presidents.

You may not like the bluntness that Trump speaks but it's exactly what the US, the UK and the world needs in calling out the Corrupt Leaders around the world.

Roscoe... I thought life would be back to normal and boring once Obama left office. Thankfully I was wrong.
How? Whenever I ask BentBow this he/she won't answer me. And you can't go with, "The economy!" Trump has done nothing to improve the economy. He is actually damaging it with these tariffs.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Is there any point to this trip to England other than yet another photo op?

Old 06-02-2019, 05:58 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
How? Whenever I ask BentBow this he/she won't answer me. And you can't go with, "The economy!" Trump has done nothing to improve the economy. He is actually damaging it with these tariffs.
Trump is playing the long game with at least 4 major issues that have to be addressed before it's too late and that would be China, NK, better trade deals and returning jobs back to the US. China in particular has been stealing us blind with other countries like Mexico not that far behind.

You may not like Trump but economically he's doing a great job and doing things the last 5 Presidents have not even tried or are the reason we are where we are today.

Trump has undone the BAD Iraq agreement for another. Obama could never get this through Congress and he did a run around.

Trump has also tried to wind down the wars and pull back our troops.

He also changed the crime bill that put millions of Black Americans in Prison for minor offenses. Clinton, Biden and other Dems passed that law back in the 1990's.

We won't even talk about illegal immigration. Most of us see that as a negative and Trump is trying to stop.

We just see Trump differently. Most Democrats hate Trump so much they can't see the good he's trying to accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies