Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2019, 03:19 PM

18,511 posts, read 9,190,117 times

Advertisements

I love the idea of reparations.

Unfortunately, all of the slaves and slave owners / traders are dead.

Anyone have a time machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2019, 04:23 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,725,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I maintain that welfare, section 8, SNAP and affirmative action are sufficient.

That is because you fancy yourself a mini slave master. Just like the slave masters of old believed that table scraps were sufficient for slaves.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:40 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That right there kills your entire argument. The black people who rose from slavery and became successful did so due to ability, motivation, discipline, and good choices.

And second, you are saying that the reason Jewish people have succeeded to a greater extent than blacks, when viewed as a whole, is because they were "oppressed less"? (That's debatable, but let's not go there.) Do they not get any credit at all for emphasizing education and delaying child-bearing until they were married and could afford them? These are wise, cultural values that can be directly correlated with success.

I suspect you harbor resentment toward Jews because they have demonstrated that people, again as a group since there are always individual variations, can be persecuted mercilessly, murdered by the millions and have their property stolen, and still rise above it in the space of a single generation to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, what-have-you, to a greater extent than average. I wonder if you would prefer that Jews have lower-than-average educational attainment and lower-than-average incomes because you could then say, "ah-ha! See! The Jews have been persecuted too and look at the result." It would lend credence to your argument.

There is absolutely no reason why black people cannot do the same (unless of course you think there is something inherently inferior about blacks), especially given the advantages of affirmative action which did not exist 60 years ago.
The jews have many generations head start on the American blacks.

When were jews forbidden to marry? learn to read?

I suggest you are assuming the same level of emotional health. IMO, that is a moving target.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
That right there kills your entire argument. The black people who rose from slavery and became successful did so due to ability, motivation, discipline, and good choices.

And second, you are saying that the reason Jewish people have succeeded to a greater extent than blacks, when viewed as a whole, is because they were "oppressed less"? (That's debatable, but let's not go there.) Do they not get any credit at all for emphasizing education and delaying child-bearing until they were married and could afford them? These are wise, cultural values that can be directly correlated with success.

I suspect you harbor resentment toward Jews because they have demonstrated that people, again as a group since there are always individual variations, can be persecuted mercilessly, murdered by the millions and have their property stolen, and still rise above it in the space of a single generation to become doctors, lawyers, engineers, architects, what-have-you, to a greater extent than average. I wonder if you would prefer that Jews have lower-than-average educational attainment and lower-than-average incomes because you could then say, "ah-ha! See! The Jews have been persecuted too and look at the result." It would lend credence to your argument.

There is absolutely no reason why black people cannot do the same (unless of course you think there is something inherently inferior about blacks), especially given the advantages of affirmative action which did not exist 60 years ago.

Your lack of intellectual integrity killed my argument, with you, before I ever made it. I know there does not exist an argument that you will accept....so stop acting like you were being persuaded....until I made the statement that you put in bold....bold.

Lets see.....does people coming back from a war alive, with no physical or mental wounds mean that those who did not have only themselves to blame? Does the fact that people escaped the Twin Towers during 911 mean that they were more determined, hard working, intelligent and driven than the people who died? Does the fact that some Jews escaped Hitlers persecution, during the Holocaust, mean that those who did not were somehow less motivated, smart, driven, etc?

Your argument is just silly...and that is being nice. Just because some people survive against the odds is not a discrediting of those who don't. Such silly thinking would assume that EVERYONE has the same experience, in degree and kind, as well as same abilities, in degree and kind. That is not intelligent reasoning. The fact that some blacks succeeded after enduring slavery does not mean that all other former slaves had the same situation that those who survived did. Some may have done it by "passing for white", as to be black back then meant the one drop rule, meaning a person could look white...while labeled black because they were known to have black antecedents. I would imagine many Jews "made it" the same way....by "passing" as non-Jewish....since Judaism is not a race....but a choice of religion. Keep in mind we are talking about "European Jews".

That having been said....I guess the fact that I do not look at Jewish people as some superior humans....that means that I hate them. I don't look at Jews any differently than I look at white people in general. Jews are white people to me. No better or no worse. No more superior and no more inferior. My point is and always has been that if you expose any group of humans, in mass, to a certain condition, they will basically respond the same, with a slight margin of error. If blacks had the Jewish experience, we would be in the condition Jews are in. If blacks had the white experience, we would be in the condition of whites. If whites or Jews experience the condition of blacks, they would be in the situation of blacks today.

What people like you want to promote is the idea that whites, Jews or whoever, had they experienced what blacks have, would be in a superior condition than blacks are today and not need to look to the government. In fact, you basically have said this. The only way that your "theory" can be rationalized is if the premise is that BLACKS ARE INFERIOR to Jews, Whites and others. It's plain to see that such is required to reach your conclusions. Again, there is a term for that belief. Despite walking like a duck, quacking like a duck and looking like a duck.....you don't like being labeled as a duck.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I would argue that YOU are the one working on emotion and no logic.

I am sure YOU would. The question is are you smart enough to provide a real argument to back up your claim.

Old 04-30-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
A question for the pro-reparations gang here. How much of the reparations tab do you expect the UK, France, and Spain to cover? The US inherited many French and Spanish slaves when territories formerly held by France and Spain became part of the US. The US didn't exist until 1789, slaves in the former colonies in the period prior to 1776 being under English jurisdiction, and the interim 1776 - 1789 window being sort of a free for all as to who was in charge. Or do you expect the US taxpayers to cover what England, France, and Spain did?

Who said how reparations would be financed? Again, I presented the idea that reparations could be paid by shifting taxes that blacks pay to FICA to a reparation fund. No one is being punished. In fact, we are a nation that creates debts that we don't pay anyway. The nation is already 22 trillion, and growing, in debt. No one is currently suffering from that debt.....because we are not even paying it. Just add reparations to the debt and have black tax dollars pay the interest on that debt. That way people who never owned slaves will not be punished.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:57 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,774,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Who said how reparations would be financed? Again, I presented the idea that reparations could be paid by shifting taxes that blacks pay to FICA to a reparation fund. No one is being punished. In fact, we are a nation that creates debts that we don't pay anyway. The nation is already 22 trillion, and growing, in debt. No one is currently suffering from that debt.....because we are not even paying it. Just add reparations to the debt and have black tax dollars pay the interest on that debt. That way people who never owned slaves will not be punished.
If the FICA taxes paid by blacks were diverted to a reparations fund, then yes the rest of us are paying for it anyway because we'll have to pay their FICA in addition to ours if you want Social Security to continue being funded. Or are you saying the blacks would no longer be eligible for Social Security once their FICA taxes are diverted?

And you haven't answered the question. Should the UK, France, and Spain cover their part of the reparations bill for the slaves they imported and held in what is now the US all those many years?

Old 04-30-2019, 05:59 PM

34,258 posts, read 18,631,541 times
Booker has no shot. He checks the Black box, but that's it. He needs to either be Gay, and/or Female. He checks the KOOK box, but they all do, so that's not a differentiator.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:25 PM

22,503 posts, read 12,045,965 times
Quote:
Well....nothing is going to change without financing. When I say check, I am talking about a check written for each black family or individual. That is how most people see reparations......every black descendant of Americans enslaved getting a personal check. That would not be wise on so many levels, and there are other means besides a check in every individual.

So...every single person who has ancestors who were slaves gets some type of reparation? IOW, I, as someone who is 1/8 black, gets reparations? My grandkids, who are 1/32 black, also get something? After all, up until recent times, in Louisiana, if one was 1/32 black, their race was listed as "black" on their birth certificates.

Reparations, in any form, is nothing but a huge nightmare. At some point, it has to be decided where to draw the line. My Dad, who recently passed, was 1/4 black. When I once asked him what he thought about reparations, he was totally against it. He managed to lift himself out of poverty at a time when affirmative action didn't exist. When he was in high school and looking for a part-time job, he had to endure hearing "We don't hire Puerto Ricans". He didn't let that stop him and kept on searching until he found a job. During WWII, he joined the Navy and saw action on D-Day. After the war, he went to college on the GI Bill, then had a successful white collar job with the federal government. His story isn't unique. Other minorities found their way out of poverty, too.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:43 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,523,576 times
Quote:
Of course whites will be punished. Now they'll have to cover the Social Security for tens of millions of blacks who never contributed to the system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies