Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:49 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
When I pay good money to dine out I expect a quiet relaxing meal
At a fast food joint?

Quote:
and don't care to dine out or accommodate animals or screeching obnoxious children brought in by selfish people who demand that others forfeit their otherwise quite evening just for them. A local restaurant has a sign that animals are restricted to the outside eating area and cannot be fed or come in contact with restaurant tables, chairs, dishes or silverware.
Requiring them to eat outside does not apply to true service animals, but they aren't allowed any place off the floor.

Quote:
Imagine glancing over while a dog is eating off somebody's plate or fork.
Then it's not a service animal, or at least it's not behaving like one. Even a true service animal can be required to leave if it is causing a disruption (a real disruption, not someone just saying they don't like to see the animal).

Quote:
And what happens when it has to go to the bathroom while people are trying to eat?
A properly trained service animal would alert its owners and they would take them outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
When I pay good money to dine out I expect a quiet relaxing meal and don't care to dine out or accommodate animals or screeching obnoxious children brought in by selfish people who demand that others forfeit their otherwise quite evening just for them. A local restaurant has a sign that animals are restricted to the outside eating area and cannot be fed or come in contact with restaurant tables, chairs, dishes or silverware. Imagine glancing over while a dog is eating off somebody's plate or fork. And what happens when it has to go to the bathroom while people are trying to eat?
Service dogs DON'T BEHAVE LIKE POORLY TRAINED PETS, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PETS!!!! You will never see a legitimate service dog eating off anyone's plate, sitting on chairs or trying to climb on tables. They are also house trained, same as any other well-trained dog. Their training goes far BEYOND that of a pet dog. They are not allowed to try to engage with people other than the one they are helping, or any other dogs or animals or indulge in normal canine behavior while they are working.

We're not discussing a pet dog being kicked out of a restaurant for misbehaving, we are talking about a dog trained to work as medical equipment being kicked out for simply doing the job it has been trained to do.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:08 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Service dogs DON'T BEHAVE LIKE POORLY TRAINED PETS, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT PETS!!!! You will never see a legitimate service dog eating off anyone's plate, sitting on chairs or trying to climb on tables. They are also house trained, same as any other well-trained dog. Their training goes far BEYOND that of a pet dog. They are not allowed to try to engage with people other than the one they are helping, or any other dogs or animals or indulge in normal canine behavior while they are working.

We're not discussing a pet dog being kicked out of a restaurant for misbehaving, we are talking about a dog trained to work as medical equipment being kicked out for simply doing the job it has been trained to do.

The ignorance in this thread is astounding.
Indeed. And these animals don't smell or flatulate either...

When I dine out I do not care to associate or be around animals. Period!

Old 06-22-2019, 09:58 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Quote:
Indeed. And these animals don't smell or flatulate either...

And the people that need them don't care to have their disability either!

Old 06-22-2019, 10:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,144,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
The whole service animal thing has gotten out of control. Smashburger was willing to serve you the food, they just didn't want a dog inside. And to be honest, I don't think it's sanitary to have a dog in a restaurant either.
As long as the animal is under the owner's control, I don't see why it's unsanitary. People are fine eating in their house with dogs, or ordering from food trucks and then sitting on the park grass to eat it, where all kinds of rats and bugs have actually pissed and crapped on (not just dogs), and somehow they manage to not die.

I've been to countries that have restaurants that allow well-behaved dogs inside, and somehow they're doing just fine.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:11 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Fine. Stay home. The disabled have the right to access public places, and so do the service animals they work with.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:12 AM

7,139 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Joe, a service dog won’t do anything you mentioned. They are better trained then most people’s kids. They cost a fortune to train and are necessary for the person with a disability. I can’t believe in 2019 that people can still be so ignorant of the laws regarding service animals.

Old 06-22-2019, 02:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Joe, a service dog won’t do anything you mentioned. They are better trained then most people’s kids. They cost a fortune to train and are necessary for the person with a disability. I can’t believe in 2019 that people can still be so ignorant of the laws regarding service animals.

to be honest, 20 years from now people will still be ignorant regarding service animals. the reason is that people refuse to learn things like this.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:48 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
to be honest, 20 years from now people will still be ignorant regarding service animals. the reason is that people refuse to learn things like this.
Service animals should have to be licensed. That would cut out the fake ones. Make someone going in a store or café show it.
You can buy a vest that says "service dog" for $20. So anyone can fake having one.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:40 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Service animals should have to be licensed. That would cut out the fake ones. Make someone going in a store or café show it.
You can buy a vest that says "service dog" for $20. So anyone can fake having one.
I agree... They should be licensed and an official vest should be issued along with it with penalties for those that abuse the system.

The real looser here are the ones that have real legit needs for service dogs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies