Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 03:54 PM

30,261 posts, read 23,746,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
The laws are pretty clear about service animals.

“For some people with disabilities, service animals provide vital guidance, protection, and companionship. For this reason, both federal and Nevada law require places of public accommodation to allow service animals to enter their buildings and other facilities.

WHAT’S A PLACE OF PUBLIC ACCOMMODATION?

Any business or building that’s open to, or offers services to, the general public. Examples include hotels, restaurants, amusement parks, health clubs, and airports.
WHERE MUST A SERVICE ANIMAL BE ALLOWED TO GO?

Places of public accommodation must allow service animals to accompany people with disabilities in all areas of a facility where the public is normally allowed to go.“

https://piccololawoffices.com/do-bus...mals-to-enter/

The restaurant was wrong to make them eat outside.
The end.
Is diabetes a "disability"?

https://www.servicedogcertifications...vice-dog-laws/

Quote:
Under the ADA, a person with a disability is someone who has a mental or physical impairment that substantially limits at least one major life activity. This includes individuals who are regarded as having a disability even if they do not as well as those who have a record of being impaired even if they presently are not suffering from the impairment.
You should have read further:

Quote:
The ADA does not require covered entities to modify policies, practices, or procedures if it would “fundamentally alter” the nature of the goods, services, programs, or activities provided to the public. Nor does it overrule legitimate safety requirements. If admitting service animals would fundamentally alter the nature of a service or program, service animals may be prohibited. In addition, if a particular service animal is out of control and the handler does not take effective action to control it, or if it is not housebroken, that animal may be excluded.
A "diabetic service dog" would be a smaller dog that can smell the person's breath to note when a change is happening. However, the dog must remain on the floor at all times. How is the dog that pictured going to smell that kid's breath if he's sitting on the floor? And, further, at no time did the family state that they told the manager that the dog was a service dog.

I don't agree with the ADA that diabetes is a "disability". My dad has diabetes, he doesn't have service dog.

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 06-20-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 04:18 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,287,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Is diabetes a "disability"?

https://www.servicedogcertifications...vice-dog-laws/

You should have read further:

A "diabetic service dog" would be a smaller dog that can smell the person's breath to note when a change is happening. However, the dog must remain on the floor at all times. How is the dog that pictured going to smell that kid's breath if he's sitting on the floor? And, further, at no time did the family state that they told the manager that the dog was a service dog.

I don't agree with the ADA that diabetes is a "disability". My dad has diabetes, he doesn't have service dog.

I did a little poking around, and it looks like labs are the top diabetes sniffing dogs. Since I know a couple of people with service dogs, and the hearing alert dog is small, I was curious. Anyway, I came across this website:

Dogs4Diabetics

They seem to focus on dogs for Type 1 diabetics. I'm sure they also provide for Type 2, within certain conditions. I'm thinking brittle diabetics could use a dog, since their BG levels can change abruptly and without warning.

I think diabetes *can be* a disability, but not every case is disabling. It does affect at least one major life activity - eating. Arthritis is not, in and of itself, a disability; the degree and location of the arthritis makes the disability.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:21 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Searched ebay for “service dog vest†Found 55516 for sale.
Yes, I've seen them... they should probably make an official one with a tag that can be confirmed by the police. I know the police can confirm handicap tags but it doesn't stop people who have "connections".

Old 06-20-2019, 04:26 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I saw a guy inside the grocery and he had a service dog, the patch said PTSD and the sign on the dog said DO NOT PET! (my natural instinct) I respect the sign but wonder why some dogs you can pet and some therapy dogs you cannot?
I was told that you should never pet a service dog with its vest on. It distracts them and they are "working". The owner will remove the vest if they aren't "working" and will allow people to interact with them. As someone said, they are essentially medical devices (for a lack of a better term) and not pets.

The other therapy dogs you have observed may be emotional support dogs; they aren't required to go through training for a specific function or task. As such, I don't think its a problem to interact with them... although it is always polite to ask the owner beforehand.

There is a service training dog school in one of the nearby towns. I see their trainers and dogs practicing navigating the train on occasion. Some of the most behaved dogs.. almost don't even notice them. I would assume a dog that can't be trained to be well mannered, obedient, and behaved would be rejected from the program.

The way I see it, the few legit ones one will encounter I am willing to tolerate. My inconvenience (if that) is probably small compared to the tasks they have to tackle each and every day.

Old 06-20-2019, 04:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,594,808 times
Eh, I think if the dog is wearing legitimate service animal livery like that one appears to be you have to let that one go. How often does one of them come in anyway? Certainly the yuppie pet owners need to be told to get out.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:49 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
I saw a woman yesterday with her "service dog" in a grocery cart. Would you want to put food in there after a dog was in it?

Old 06-20-2019, 05:53 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
More self-entitled people taking advantage.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I saw a woman yesterday with her "service dog" in a grocery cart. Would you want to put food in there after a dog was in it?
I'm pretty crude and rude when I see that.

I pick up dog, and put it on the floor. Whiny ladies usually make a fuss about that. I don't care. It's disgusting. I've even had a discussion with one chain's head office about the issue, and they instructed their managers do follow the ADA to the letter, including asking what the dog is trained for, which is allowed. And no, dogs are NOT allowed in grocery carts.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:00 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This whole "dog thing" is getting way, way out of hand. Of course we've always had dogs around, but the last twenty years or so has seen really unreasonable attitudes about dogs developed. One of these days, just like back in the 1960s when non-smokers decided they'd had enough smoke blown in their faces by entitled smokers, those of us who have to put up with your unruly dogs and your dogs being where they should not be are going to rise up and use the law to rectify the unreasonable dog issue our society has.

Personally, I used to like dogs. I had several in my younger years. But the way people abuse others via their dogs lately has gotten me to the point that I really do not like dogs at all--actually, I shouldn't say that... let's say I've come to HATE most dog owners. For the most part, the dogs are running the show. Very few owners have a clue as to how to train or manage their dogs or what is socially acceptable when it come to their dogs. There should be mandatory training classes (on how to train dogs) for all people wanting to own dogs. Learn to manage your dog rather than your dog managing you. Better yet, buy a damn goldfish, folks.

As far as "service dog"? I don't buy it. A dog is not a damn doctor or blood sugar sensor. In this case, it's an excuse to have a dog in places dogs shouldn't be. I see it all the time. There is a huge difference between a dog guiding a blind person and Sally having to have a "therapy" dog with her because she has a panic attack without it. The former is legitimate, the latter is a woman in need of REAL therapy.
Legitimate service dogs are EXTREMELY well-trained and carefully screened for behavior before they even receive specific training related to the disability they will be assisting. There is no need for anyone to be "running" the show as far as their demeanor and their ability to stay on task without getting distracted. That is WHY they are allowed into public places where mere pet dogs are not.

And please learn the difference between service and therapy dogs. Therapy animals have no de facto right to access public places, because they are not medical equipment, nor do they assist one person only.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
^ this

Relatives rented a beach place for vacation....says no pets....they didn't think to double check, because it says "no pets"...

Went there....daughter deadly allergic to dogs/cats....within 20 mins...daughter had to be rushed to the hosp...spent 2 days in the hosp

....the renters before them had a child with a "service dog"....they "had" to rent to them
Again, service dogs ARE NOT PETS. They are MEDICAL EQUIPMENT.

And yes, if they are offering rental property as a public accommodation, they cannot discriminate against people with disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies