Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:18 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Fine. Stay home. The disabled have the right to access public places, and so do the service animals they work with.

So what?

I will continue to dine when and wherever the hell I please.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:47 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
And the people that need them don't care to have their disability either!

Some folks seem incredibly disturbed to the point of absurdity that others choose not to eat with animals and will not eat with animals of any kind or purpose. Ever.

These individuals would be better served minding their own damn business and not becoming so emotionally involved with the dining habits of others that you cannot and will not change and can do absolutely nothing about anyway.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:20 PM

177 posts, read 126,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
We need more restaurants and Walmarts ,Home Depots, Lowes, Target stores to stand up and stop the nonsense.

Lowes and HD both allow pets on their premises. No need to be a service dog or not.

Old 06-23-2019, 07:07 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
When I pay good money to dine out I expect a quiet relaxing meal and don't care to dine out or accommodate animals or screeching obnoxious children brought in by selfish people who demand that others forfeit their otherwise quite evening just for them. A local restaurant has a sign that animals are restricted to the outside eating area and cannot be fed or come in contact with restaurant tables, chairs, dishes or silverware. Imagine glancing over while a dog is eating off somebody's plate or fork. And what happens when it has to go to the bathroom while people are trying to eat?

You expect a quiet, relaxing meal at Smashburger?

Old 06-23-2019, 07:09 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Indeed. And these animals don't smell or flatulate either...

When I dine out I do not care to associate or be around animals. Period!

Sounds like you don't care to associate with or be around people either, given the bolded. Perhaps eating in a restaurant or existing in public isn't the right setting for you?

Old 06-23-2019, 08:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Service animals should have to be licensed. That would cut out the fake ones. Make someone going in a store or café show it.
You can buy a vest that says "service dog" for $20. So anyone can fake having one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I agree... They should be licensed and an official vest should be issued along with it with penalties for those that abuse the system.

The real looser here are the ones that have real legit needs for service dogs.

i also agree that service animals should be licensed, and properly trained. but that isnt the problem here. the problem is that far too many people either dont think dogs should be "slaves" to people, or they dont think that dogs should go everywhere people can go even if they are properly trained service animals. and that will never change unfortunately.

there are far too many entitled people as well that see a dog, and think they should be able to just go up and pet the dog anytime they wish, and you cant do that with a service animal as it distracts them from their job.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,867,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am well aware of these type of service dogs as I have seen some in the schools where I work. For a child recently diagnosed and still learning how to recognize the symptoms that their blood sugar is off the dog can alert the teacher/staff
that the child's blood sugar needs to be checked, that their role. I question why this child (who appears to be @10) needs his dog when he is out with his parents who should be alert to any behavioral changes?

I have a co-worker who is learning how to deal with a diabetic 10 year old but 6 months in and they have a pretty good feel of when something is out of whack. Todays wearable sensors will send you a message when the level is to low or high, far more suitable for going out to dinner than a dog.
It's better to get an alert for low or high blood sugar and correct the situation before the diabetic has reached the point of being visibly impaired. Big swings are extremely hard on various bodily systems and lead to damage over time.

Particularly in the case of a child who is a brittle type one diabetic, IMO there's no strong reason not to take a "socks and suspenders" approach to blood glucose monitoring. If one has both a service dog and a monitor, it's perfectly sensible to use both. Monitors can and do fail from time to time, due to technical issues or user error. Why not be as safe as possible? It also provides an opportunity for the parents to observe the dog's performance in public and make sure that the child is correctly handling it, and that the dog is correctly performing its duties, so if additional training is needed that can be arranged.

Old 06-23-2019, 09:56 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i also agree that service animals should be licensed, and properly trained. but that isnt the problem here. the problem is that far too many people either dont think dogs should be "slaves" to people, or they dont think that dogs should go everywhere people can go even if they are properly trained service animals. and that will never change unfortunately.

there are far too many entitled people as well that see a dog, and think they should be able to just go up and pet the dog anytime they wish, and you cant do that with a service animal as it distracts them from their job.
I see dogs in the carts at Walmart all the time. They have a sign on the door that says no pets in carts. But some people feel like they are "special". The employees are afraid to confront them. Telling a customer that they are breaking rules can get them fired. The majority are just pets too, and not service dogs.

Old 06-23-2019, 10:31 AM

177 posts, read 126,230 times
Quote:
I see dogs in the carts at Walmart all the time. They have a sign on the door that says no pets in carts. But some people feel like they are "special". The employees are afraid to confront them. Telling a customer that they are breaking rules can get them fired. The majority are just pets too, and not service dogs.

Yet again, this is the establishment's issue. This has nothing to do with a SA...

Old 06-23-2019, 10:39 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:

again i am not disputing the fact that people are taking the whole "service dog" issue way too far. however the ADA does allow for service animals to go just about anywhere a human can go. the ADA also restricts what can be done about having a service animal. for instance you can ask if the animal is a service animal, and what disability it trained to handle, but thats it. you cannot require "papers" for the animal. and i do agree that changes need to be made in that regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies