Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:10 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Was this an actual trained certified service dog or did the owners get one of those phony vests over the internet? More and more places here are banning pets unless they bona fide service dogs. I was just in a store here and one of those phony/emotional service dogs dropped a load in the middle of a shopping aisle.
There is no certification required by ADA for service dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 07:21 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,449,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I saw a woman yesterday with her "service dog" in a grocery cart. Would you want to put food in there after a dog was in it?
I put my food in the cart after kids have sat in it with their sticky hands and poopy diapers. I also put my food in a cart that grown adults who don't know how to wash their hands after using the bathroom or who are coughing up the plague have pawed all over it.

Not sure why the focus on dogs, especially service dogs. They're not likely to be spreading any communicable diseases the way that the humans in the restaurant or grocery store are.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:26 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
There is no certification required by ADA for service dogs.
They have to be trained for the assistance they give. Read the rules, I've posted them.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I saw a guy inside the grocery and he had a service dog, the patch said PTSD and the sign on the dog said DO NOT PET! (my natural instinct) I respect the sign but wonder why some dogs you can pet and some therapy dogs you cannot?
A therapy dog is not the same as a service dog.They are not trained to assist a disabled person. They are brought into places like schools and hospitals to provide support to the people served by those places.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
They have to be trained for the assistance they give. Read the rules, I've posted them.
So? We're not talking about training. Again, there is no CERTIFICATION required by ADA for a service dog, nor can any entity insist on seeing one or bar a service dog because they don't have one.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I put my food in the cart after kids have sat in it with their sticky hands and poopy diapers. I also put my food in a cart that grown adults who don't know how to wash their hands after using the bathroom or who are coughing up the plague have pawed all over it.

Not sure why the focus on dogs, especially service dogs. They're not likely to be spreading any communicable diseases the way that the humans in the restaurant or grocery store are.
ADA stipulates that service dogs must do their jobs with "4 (paws) on the floor," and they are not allowed to sit on public seating or be carried around in shopping carts. If they have to be close enough to the person to be able to smell odors like breath, they can be worn in packs similar to ones used for babies.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:05 PM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Dogs sometimes eat their own vomit. Dogs sometimes eat their own poop, the cat's poop, and other dog's poop. They sometimes roll in poop, or dead things. The use their paws to dig up dead things, or bury poop. That means BACTERIA. Lots of it, as well as other pathogens.

I love dogs, but I don't bring them into restaurants, supermarkets, etc, and they are not allowed in my bed nor on my furniture.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
So? We're not talking about training. Again, there is no CERTIFICATION required by ADA for a service dog, nor can any entity insist on seeing one or bar a service dog because they don't have one.
Go read the actual regs which I posted. Yes, we ARE talking about a trained dog, and yes, you are allowed to ask what the dog is trained for.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Go read the actual regs which I posted. Yes, we ARE talking about a trained dog, and yes, you are allowed to ask what the dog is trained for.
Wow, how about actually READING what I am writing?

For the 3rd damn time - you cannot ask to see a CERTIFICATE proving a dog is a service dog, nor can you bar a service dog from entering an establishment because it doesn't have one. This because ADA DOES NOT REQUIRE CERTIFICATION FOR SERVICE DOGS. ADA also allows people to train their own dogs.

Asking for a certificate is NOT the same as asking if the dog is a service dog or what the dog has been trained to do. They are three entirely different questions.

Do you possibly get it now???

Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Wow, how about actually READING what I am writing?

For the 3rd damn time - you cannot ask to see a CERTIFICATE proving a dog is a service dog, nor can you bar a service dog from entering an establishment because it doesn't have one. This because ADA DOES NOT REQUIRE CERTIFICATION FOR SERVICE DOGS. ADA also allows people to train their own dogs.

Asking for a certificate is NOT the same as asking if the dog is a service dog or what the dog has been trained to do. They are three entirely different questions.

Do you possibly get it now???
Where did I state a certificate is needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies