Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Seeing eye dogs are different and should be treated differently from Service dogs that are nothing but a little security blanket for Tiffany to be able to bring Snuggles anywhere she wants.
A seeing eye dog IS a service dog. An emotional support animal is NOT a service animal. You’re getting it confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
You are confusing actual service dogs from "therapy dogs" or "support dogs", which is really just a whole bunch of nothing. True service dogs provide an important service, and are trained so that they can be anywhere, and do so safely and cleanly.

I agree with others, there should be some way to legally identify a true service dog without having to ask people for anything, and there (IMO) should be huge penalties for people that fake it.
Yes, I may be, but there doesn't seem to be clear standards for each. Maybe I just haven't seen them, but I have read a lot of different things and what I think used to be therapy or support dogs are actually being called Service Dogs today. I may be wrong, as the only dog I've had has been a "Hunting Dog" so.....

Old 06-21-2019, 09:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, I may be, but there doesn't seem to be clear standards for each. Maybe I just haven't seen them, but I have read a lot of different things and what I think used to be therapy or support dogs are actually being called Service Dogs today. I may be wrong, as the only dog I've had has been a "Hunting Dog" so.....
No, they are not service dogs. The owner is probably claiming it’s a service dog when it’s really not.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,854,052 times
the ADA allows for service animal accommodation in restaurants and other businesses. proper service dogs are well trained, and stay out of the way of everyone.

and service dogs do provide various services for those that need such dogs. i am a type two diabetic, i dont rely on a service dog to let me know when my blood sugar is off, high or low. however some diabetics, especially type ones, cant tell when their sugars are too low or too high, but the dog CAN. if a persons blood sugar gets too high it can be just as dangerous as it being too low. and a type one diabetic can have their sugars move quickly in one direction or the other, even when they are eating.

and what about blind people going shopping, or going to a restaurant? are you goin to deny them service because they have a seeing eye dog, AKA service dog, with them?

i agree that the use of service animals has been abused, and that there needs to be training and licensing of service animals, but there also needs to be education of the general public about service animals, what they do, where they can go, and the relevant sections of the ADA that apply to service animals. and this includes law enforcement as well.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:56 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Cause it can tell when he has low blood sugar apparently...
Why would you need to know if you have low blood sugar at a restaurant when you're about to eat anyway?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:24 AM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Why don't people get that people don't want to eat in an establishment where a dog can shake his fur all over the air and scratch, slobber etc????

If you have special needs that needs a service dog, then use the special accommodations that are offered by the owners of the establishment such as eating outside. OR LEAVE YOUR DOG AT HOME. OR JUST LEAVE.

...........and I love dogs as much as anyone.
Same argument can be made about smoking in restaurants. Why should I or anyone else be forced to breathe in someone else's smoke? Yet there are people who vehemently advocate for smoking in public places.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:27 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,307,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Same argument can be made about smoking in restaurants. Why should I or anyone else be forced to breathe in someone else's smoke? Yet there are people who vehemently advocate for smoking in public places.
Smoking is a choice, having a (valid) disability is not. Due to this fact, there is really no comparison.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:29 AM

8,490 posts, read 6,897,485 times
Brainstorm. Maybe if you have a child with a low blood sugar problem perhaps you should not take him to a restaurant or just do carry out. Perhaps we should have pets that can sniff out lawsuits?

Old 06-21-2019, 10:42 AM

7,138 posts, read 4,546,769 times
Juvenile diabetes is a much more serious condition than type 2. Kids can go into a diabetic coma and die. These dogs are expensive so if he has one he needs it. The federal law is clear about service dogs. The restaurant will be in trouble. Blind people can’t leave their dog outside. They have a right to the same services as everyone else. Some of these comments clearly demonstrate that people have no clue about the difference between real service dogs and what people with disabilities go through in their everyday lives.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:46 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Why does a diabetic person need a 'service dog' in a restaurant with the parents around.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/fami...224943618.html
All of sudden, everybody needs a service dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies