Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 01:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,452,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
You are not home owner. Try not to pay your rent (that they call taxes), and see how your "investment" all of a sudden becoming not yours, but governments'.
Yes, you have to pay taxes. No, this is not some enlighten anarchy (which doesn't exist). Just because you have to bear some costs for being part of society doesn't mean you can't enjoy many personal freedoms, including a lot of choice over your professional/financial circumstances.

If you really don't like it, then you should head for the hills and become an "off the grid" mountain man. That's real freedom and unrestricted "American dream" (also comes with some inescapable tradeoffs).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 01:14 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,396,306 times
As the late great George Carlin said, "Do you know why they call it the American Dream? Because you have to be asleep to believe it."

Old 06-22-2019, 01:25 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
As we all know, the big part of "American Dream" is to own a home. But, there is one caveat to it: there is absolutely no way to really "own" home in USA. The reason? Taxes.

Here is the explanation: the word "own" means your irrevocable right to do anything with the item you "own". For example, you bought a T-shirt and honestly paid in full for it. Now it is totally yours. Nobody, ever, under no condition can lawfully take it away from you. Plus, you are totally free to do anything you want with it: wear it for a century, or burn it next day - it's totally yours.

But this is absolutely not the case with the real estate. Even if you paid for your home completely, you are still obligated to pay property taxes every year. And, if you don't pay, government will rob the house from you. There is no way in the world this could be called "owning". At best, you are renting. So, the word "homeowner" is a blatant lie and deception. (And that I'm not going into the whole mess of HOA).

So, "American Dream" (well, at least big part of it) is by the very definition deception and a lie.
Bummer.
So you just realized how expensive property taxes are, you are outraged, and come on here to vent. Sorry, but some others have commented that you buy into a community. You don't just buy a house in isolation unless you are out, off the grid. You buy street maintenance, street lights, police and fire protection, people who are paid to pass laws or regulations that protect you (the city managers, council or county board), services like public libraries, public health, etc, etc. You are not an island. Pick your community wisely. If you think too much is being offered (which you have to pay for), chose another community. Whether you like it or not, we live in communities. There are such great benefits to living with others, take advantage of them, and stop complaining. I know, real estate is really high is some places. That is something that collectively needs to be worked on. I hope your housing crisis resolves and/or that you find a place that meets your needs.

Old 06-22-2019, 01:27 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What an absurd post.

When you buy a home you are making an investment not just in a house but in a community.
I dont mind that others have this attitude, but you do not speak for me.

The area a house is in may influence if I buy or not, but when I do, I am only buying a house. I am not buying neighbors or a "community". No HOA for me either for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Communities need common services which are funded by taxes.

Signed,
A millennial home owner
Taxes are required to some degree yes, but local govt pinning it to one's biggest non mobile investment, is wrong.

Signed,

A Boomer home owner

Old 06-22-2019, 01:31 PM

3,976 posts, read 1,991,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That's why Property taxes is the best equalizer. Everybody pays even people who Rent, even Section 8. The Schools, cities, Hospital District, County all get a piece of that tax.

No one is exempted unlike a State Income tax. Well maybe the homeless.
Section 8 people pay far less in taxes than others. Not paying their "fair share" for sure.

And they bring increased need for services with them.

An older, but still very pertinent article in the left leaning "The Atlantic" on that topic.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...ystery/306872/

Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
That is one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read.
Of course it's ridiculous.

It's meant to be.

And an entirely appropriate response to the OP.

Quote:
No one is arguing that there shouldn't be any taxes.
Maybe you don't visit this forum regularly.

We get these "taxation is theft!" threads all the time.

Quote:
The rate people pay in taxes should only be based on one's income. We already have sales taxes. Vehicle registration fees and fuel taxes that are supposed to go to maintaining our streets and highways. Federal and state income taxes SHOULD only be used to pay for the national defense, public education, social services, fire and police along with prisons and our criminal justice system. We already pay into social security and medicare neither of those two involuntary government programs are free.

kanonka is only referring to property taxes and has made some valid points. Why should you have to pay taxes on something that you rightfully own? Something that you've worked hard for and paid for all of the maintenance costs during the years of ownership? Only to have the government come in and take it from you because at some point in time you can't afford the property taxes. That's happened to a lot of people who are on fixed incomes and they are either forced to sell their homes or allow their properties to fall into disrepair to avoid foreclosure.

Property taxes certainly contribute to the high cost of owning a home or renting an apartment and the high cost of living. Property taxes are passed on down to the consumers of products as the owners of the businesses that sell those products own the buildings where those products are sold. Especially the cost of food. So in affect they don't pay any property taxes at all. There are taxes on the utility bills that go to heat and cool your home or apartment and provide electricity. Those are necessities too, unless you don't mind freezing to death during the winter or frying your ass off during the summer. Homeowners and renters already pay for their water and sewer based on how much they use and receive a monthly bill for it.

Democrats are always railing about how they're all for helping the middle class and the lack of AFFORDABLE HOUSING. Having a roof over your head is a necessity and not a luxury. Unless you're content to live in a tent in LA or Frisco, both bastions of progressive Liberal social policies.

Then you have adults who live at home with their parents who benefit from the same public services that home owners and renters do but don't pay any property taxes at all. There's also the issue of fairness. Why should those with more expensive homes have to pay more than those with cheaper homes? They too receive the same public services as those with a cheaper home.

You sound like one of those that are content to live off of the labor of others? No amount of taxation is ever enough for you. What makes you so special?
Down, boy!

Get that bee out of your bonnet.

We all pay taxes and it's likely I pay as much as you do.

The OP (and other self-appointed "sovereign citizens" are the ones who feel they're entitled to the benefits of society w/o any of the responsibilities.

Did you bother to read the OP?

Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Of course it's ridiculous.

It's meant to be.

And an entirely appropriate response to the OP.

Maybe you don't visit this forum regularly.

We get these "taxation is theft!" threads all the time.

Down, boy!

Get that bee out of your bonnet.

We all pay taxes and it's likely I pay as much as you do.

The OP (and other self-appointed "sovereign citizens" are the ones who feel they're entitled to the benefits of society w/o any of the responsibilities.

Did you bother to read the OP?

Of course I read the OP, BOY! Otherwise I wouldn't have responded to this thread, BOY! It's obvious my post went way over your head, BOY!

Old 06-22-2019, 02:06 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
You are not home owner. Try not to pay your rent (that they call taxes), and see how your "investment" all of a sudden becoming not yours, but governments'.

Taxes are just a fact of living in a society. Try not paying your income taxes and see how you do.

Maybe you would prefer to pursue the Venezuelan Dream?

Old 06-22-2019, 03:17 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Of course I read the OP, BOY! Otherwise I wouldn't have responded to this thread, BOY! It's obvious my post went way over your head, BOY!
Well now...

You're still angry.

And don't know how to handle it.

Carry on.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:57 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Well now...

You're still angry.

And don't know how to handle it.

Carry on.

Well now...

It's just that I'm not your dog. BOY! How do you expect me to respond? BOY!

All you can do is respond with insults as you have nothing better to do with your time than post some 35,107 times. I'm just going to leave it at that and place you on my ignore list as I've come to realize that you are not worth another minute of my time. That's about the best way I can handle it. BOY!

Carry on. I won't be listening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies