Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times

Advertisements

I see that only some people got the point.
Well, let me try to explain once again.

The idea is very simple. It could be only one of two outcomes:
1) Cancel property taxes, or
2) Stop use word "ownership" with regards to real estate.

That's it. I'm just all for total honesty. We just cannot have both - property taxes and saying someone is "homeowner". It's either or, but not both. Otherwise, this is just outright lie.

Simple, isn't it?
And this thread is a good proof that we really need to start use proper wording: the lie went so deep under the most people's skin, that most just don't understand that they are not homeowners and never were.

And then, once we start use right wording, may be this will make people finally rethink if property tax is a right way of doing things or not. Not that I count on it - this society is built to be a rat race - but there is a tiny hope...

P.S. For those who still don't get it: I'm ok with cranking up income and/or sale taxes - this is the proper, honest way. But property tax is specifically designed to push those that have hardship (like sickness or retirement) to lose all that they achieved in a lifetime. You may argue that this is ok, ... until you find yourself in the same shoes.

Last edited by kanonka; 06-22-2019 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2019, 09:27 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,504,023 times
I swear this forum seems like it's getting taken over by Russian and Chinese propaganda trolls

Old 06-22-2019, 09:34 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,613,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
A lot of anti American threads showing up here lately......
Yup.

Almost as many as have regularly shown up here for the last 5-10 or more years.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Don't tolerate the intolerable burden of taxes.

Those taxes just go to help other Americans, after all. You don't get a single thing out this redistribution of your money!

Nothing the govt does at any level applies to you!

You're special!

Seek out a remote location, far from paved roads, with no water, sewer, sanitation, electricity or law enforcement. You don't need those silly trappings of civilization, anyway.

Build yourself a shelter far out of sight. Just like the pioneers did two centuries ago. Do manual labor for cash. Don't have a bank account or credit/debit cards.

You'll love the low taxes.

Who needs "society?"

Quote:
Seek out a remote location, far from paved roads, with no water, sewer, sanitation, electricity or law enforcement. You don't need those silly trappings of civilization, anyway.
If only there were land, that wasn't already owned by some one, if not the federal government.

It was always my fantasy as a child growing up to live like Grizzly Adams and have a bear friend named Ben.

Do manual labor for cash? What would I need cash for? Grow my own fruits (Monsanto would be upset) and vegetables and there is plenty of fish in the river. But alas, it is but a fantasy ...

Meet the Man Who Has Lived Alone on This Island for 28 Years

Old 06-23-2019, 11:28 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post

That's it. I'm just all for total honesty. We just cannot have both - property taxes and saying someone is "homeowner". It's either or, but not both. Otherwise, this is just outright lie.

Simple, isn't it?
And this thread is a good proof that we really need to start use proper wording: the lie went so deep under the most people's skin, that most just don't understand that they are not homeowners and never were.

And then, once we start use right wording, may be this will make people finally rethink if property tax is a right way of doing things or not. Not that I count on it - this society is built to be a rat race - but there is a tiny hope...

P.S. For those who still don't get it: I'm ok with cranking up income and/or sale taxes - this is the proper, honest way. But property tax is specifically designed to push those that have hardship (like sickness or retirement) to lose all that they achieved in a lifetime. You may argue that this is ok, ... until you find yourself in the same shoes.
I'm with you 100%

We were almost in that same situation when both my wife and I lost our jobs. The company we both worked for packed up and left because of the astronomical cost of doing business in New York. They were there for 50 years before moving. Our property taxes were $12,000 a year for an 1100 sq. ft. 3 bedroom 1 bath home in a semi run down small city in New York State. That was 9 years ago. Fortunately for us we had a 15 year mortgage and the house was paid off but the property taxes were now more than what our monthly mortgage payment was. At that point in time, we weren't living we were existing. Property taxes and utilities ate up the lions share of our income. Our utility company (Con Ed) has a property tax bill too but it is passed on to its customers. They also have one of the highest utility rates in the country.

We're now living in Arizona and have a 4 bedroom 2 bath 2000 sq. ft. home and as of today our property taxes are about $1,800 a year. They've only gone up by about $150 in the 9 years that we've lived here. As far as property taxes go I'd consider that to be reasonable and I really can't complain about it.

In New York they tax the sh*t out of everything and it's still never enough to meet the insatiable demands of the state and local municipal unions, public education cartel and those who pay very little if anything in taxes at all. All of which own the state legislature lock, stock, and barrel. "Ask and ye shall receive" should be their motto.

My biggest issue with property taxes is that having a place to live whether you're a renter or own your home is a necessity. Unless you're content to live in a tent out on the streets of LA or Frisco? Taxing people on what are the essentials of life is unconscionable.

At least with income and sales taxes everyone pays that earns a living. Even those who live in subsidized housing should at least pay something. Unfortunately those who have no skin in the game keep on demanding more and there are all too many politicians willing to give in to their demands.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:29 PM

18,498 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
As we all know, the big part of "American Dream" is to own a home. But, there is one caveat to it: there is absolutely no way to really "own" home in USA. The reason? Taxes.

Here is the explanation: the word "own" means your irrevocable right to do anything with the item you "own". For example, you bought a T-shirt and honestly paid in full for it. Now it is totally yours. Nobody, ever, under no condition can lawfully take it away from you. Plus, you are totally free to do anything you want with it: wear it for a century, or burn it next day - it's totally yours.

But this is absolutely not the case with the real estate. Even if you paid for your home completely, you are still obligated to pay property taxes every year. And, if you don't pay, government will rob the house from you. There is no way in the world this could be called "owning". At best, you are renting. So, the word "homeowner" is a blatant lie and deception. (And that I'm not going into the whole mess of HOA).

So, "American Dream" (well, at least big part of it) is by the very definition deception and a lie.
Bummer.
Correct.

Right now, I pay about $400/month to rent “my” house from the city government. I will be evicted if I stop paying.

Old 06-23-2019, 12:35 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Correct.

Right now, I pay about $400/month to rent “my” house from the city government. I will be evicted if I stop paying.

I Pay 600 a year.....for a 2400sqft all brick, 4 bedroom.....on 3/4 of an acre......

Old 06-23-2019, 12:38 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Speak for yourself.
I am investing in myself and my future. I never lived in a town or city and that was by intent. I like my space and don't like dealing with nosy neighbors. I can't even imagine the tortures of a HOA. The reason I mention HOA's is because they will use your argument, almost word for word.

While I am not opposed to paying fair taxes, I am opposed to the idea that only homeowners and landowners have skin in the game. Especially seniors who no longer have kids in school.

If you want to invest in your community fine, donate money for the walking path or community park. Don't impose your grand plan on everyone else.
Yep I agree with this!

Old 06-23-2019, 12:45 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:

Simple, isn't it?

Stop using words whose meaning you don't know.

Yes, you own a house (once it's paid off.) It is your asset, and the process of attaching your responsibility to pay for your share of keeping your local community amenities going to your house is because that's the easiest way to do it.

Would you prefer that they automatically garnish your income or your bank accounts or some other asset instead?

Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
What an absurd post.

When you buy a home you are making an investment not just in a house but in a community.

Communities need common services which are funded by taxes.

Signed,
A millennial home owner
Then pay more taxes than you have been if you really want to help out.
...thought so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies