Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 05:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What's so wrong with preferring that the live film version of Ariel feature a white actress with red hair? How is that 'racist' by itself?
But why does she need to be white with red hair?

Because of the cartoon? Then why doesn't she need to stay a cartoon?

To stay authentic to the source material? Ariel is blonde in the Hans Christian Andersen version, she also does at the end. If we're keeping with the original source material, Disney better kill Ariel off before the movie ends.

I feel bad for Halle Bailey. I couldn't imagine getting the role of a lifetime, only for people to start online petitions calling for your removal. How awful for her to have to hear that.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:59 PM

10,481 posts, read 4,046,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Geez, who knew that mythical creatures have to be white?
No, just Ariel. They could have created a completely new character, and everyone would have been fine. It's blatant pandering to lowest common denominator. Same group probably begging for free hand outs too, because they are just too stupid to make it on their own, or create their own characters and movies. And, the Chinese have no patience for this kind of crap. It's why I am becoming more open up to when either China or Russia take over the world, because then we don't have to worry about this PC crap anymore!

Old 07-07-2019, 09:49 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But why does she need to be white with red hair?

Because of the cartoon? Then why doesn't she need to stay a cartoon?

To stay authentic to the source material? Ariel is blonde in the Hans Christian Andersen version, she also does at the end. If we're keeping with the original source material, Disney better kill Ariel off before the movie ends.

I feel bad for Halle Bailey. I couldn't imagine getting the role of a lifetime, only for people to start online petitions calling for your removal. How awful for her to have to hear that.
Then Disney should have had Ariel be blond in the cartoon version. Also, they should have had Ariel die at the end. However, Disney butches fairy tails a lot, so they wanted a happy ending for Ariel.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Geez, who knew that mythical creatures have to be white?
Because the Little Mermaid was original based on a Scandinavian myth, not a Nigerian myth or an African American folk tale. NOw if they make a movie version of Mulan yes the actress should be Asian.

Liberals were upset over someone who was only HALF Middle Eastern playing Jasmine in Aladdin. And Santa Claus is historically a white man, and Jesus most definitely was NOT black or Mexican.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
No, just Ariel. They could have created a completely new character, and everyone would have been fine. It's blatant pandering to lowest common denominator. Same group probably begging for free hand outs too, because they are just too stupid to make it on their own, or create their own characters and movies. And, the Chinese have no patience for this kind of crap. It's why I am becoming more open up to when either China or Russia take over the world, because then we don't have to worry about this PC crap anymore!
Yes if they changed the setting to coastal Africa, the black Caribbean, or the Gullah islands and had a black actress would have nothing wrong with that. But the original story the main character is white, just like Mulan is Asian, Aladdin is Muslim and Pocahontas is Native American.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Because the Little Mermaid was original based on a Scandinavian myth, not a Nigerian myth or an African American folk tale. NOw if they make a movie version of Mulan yes the actress should be Asian.

Liberals were upset over someone who was only HALF Middle Eastern playing Jasmine in Aladdin. And Santa Claus is historically a white man, and Jesus most definitely was NOT black or Mexican.
Was Jesus white? Help me out here.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jesus is Jewish, and Jews are white. So yes Jesus was white. He certainly didn't look like Obama if that's what you're saying. Though I remember people claimed the Son of God movie was racist because the actor playing Satan allegedly looked too much like Obama.....

You liberals were up in arms over Aladdin because Jasmine wasn't played by a totally Muslim actress. Yet you think its okay for Ariel to be played by a black woman. Remember the Princess and the Frog was based on a black folk tale. Imagine if they made that live action and cast a white girl?????

Old 07-07-2019, 10:08 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Jesus is "God."

So, of course he is white. LOL

Old 07-07-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Jesus is Jewish, and Jews are white. So yes Jesus was white. He certainly didn't look like Obama if that's what you're saying. Though I remember people claimed the Son of God movie was racist because the actor playing Satan allegedly looked too much like Obama.....

You liberals were up in arms over Aladdin because Jasmine wasn't played by a totally Muslim actress. Yet you think its okay for Ariel to be played by a black woman. Remember the Princess and the Frog was based on a black folk tale. Imagine if they made that live action and cast a white girl?????
Thanks. You just confirmed what I keep telling black folks about their beloved Jesus.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Jesus is "God."

So, of course he is white. LOL
Yep. I just wanted confirmation of that.

Which is why I’m an atheist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies