Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 11:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yes if they changed the setting to coastal Africa, the black Caribbean, or the Gullah islands and had a black actress would have nothing wrong with that. But the original story the main character is white, just like Mulan is Asian, Aladdin is Muslim and Pocahontas is Native American.
Aladdin is Muslim? I don't recall religion being brought up in either of the movies.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Because the Little Mermaid was original based on a Scandinavian myth, not a Nigerian myth or an African American folk tale. NOw if they make a movie version of Mulan yes the actress should be Asian. .
First off, The Little Mermaid is a fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen, not a myth.

Just because Hans Christian Andersen was Danish and white, doesn't mean every character also has to be Danish and white, unless there was something specific to their background that would completely change their story if they were not Danish and white.

What exactly about the Little Mermaid's story requires her to be white?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:20 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,934,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
But why does she need to be white with red hair?

Because of the cartoon? Then why doesn't she need to stay a cartoon?

To stay authentic to the source material? Ariel is blonde in the Hans Christian Andersen version, she also does at the end. If we're keeping with the original source material, Disney better kill Ariel off before the movie ends.

I feel bad for Halle Bailey. I couldn't imagine getting the role of a lifetime, only for people to start online petitions calling for your removal. How awful for her to have to hear that.
Would it also be awful for a talented white actor who was given a role that liberals believe should have gone to a HIspanic, black or Muslim actor like in the Prince of Egypt??

Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Aladdin is Muslim? I don't recall religion being brought up in either of the movies.
The Sultan says "praise Allah" in the original animated version. And remember that Jasmine wears a the Muslim burka when she leaves the palace. And he is supposed to be Arab by ethnicity too. Also remember when Jasmine steals the apple they want to cut her hand off that is also a clearly Muslim tradition.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:32 AM

Quote:
First off, The Little Mermaid is a fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen, not a myth.

Just because Hans Christian Andersen was Danish and white, doesn't mean every character also has to be Danish and white, unless there was something specific to their background that would completely change their story if they were not Danish and white.

What exactly about the Little Mermaid's story requires her to be white?
The story is supposed to be set in Denmark where the author if from. All this is just about political correctness. There ARE fairy tales that are set in non-white parts of the world like Aladdin, Mulan, the Frog Princess, etc and yes those roles should go to non-white actors. So should they make Mary Poppins black too? Or would having a black nanny be too racist?????

The only traditionally white role that I think can conceivably can be black, and some people even disagree with me on this, is James Bond since James Bond isn't really his name just a code name and its assumed every new 007 actor is a new spy, and there are blacks serving in MI6 so conceivably a black spy can assume the name James Bond and 007. Other than this, I think traditionally white characters should remain white, black characters who have black actors, Asians should be played by Asians, etc.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:33 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I see many of the old "I don't see color crowd" are unhappy that Ariel is now black.
I think you see a lot of things most don’t see. It’s a part of your liberal affliction.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 AM

6,475 posts, read 4,077,968 times
Well isn't Ursula her Aunt purple? I honestly don't think The Mermaids have a race and in many fairy tales their just described as people of strange hues like Green and Blue. Also Mermaids themselves are a global phenomenon, although the Little Mermaid was based in European mythology the music as other's pointed out had a decidedly black and island flavor. If Ariel is going to be singing a song with Caribbean origins, and that was part of the Audition, no surprise the Grammy award winning singer got the role. I will say for the sake of the Danes and their tourist industry they maybe should have selected a Dane so they could have an excuse to build another Little Mermaid statue.

My question is Ursula white then? If Ariel is white. Obviously they where trying to otherize Ursula as the bad character by making her look less Human but still. I don't know how you can argue race matters if Ursula the King and Ariel are the same race. The King is clearly bronze-ish (More the typical look of a southern European/North african/historical Atlantean description than Danish that's for sure).

Old 07-08-2019, 03:23 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 5 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:

The only traditionally white role that I think can conceivably can be black, and some people even disagree with me on this, is James Bond since James Bond isn't really his name just a code name and its assumed every new 007 actor is a new spy, and there are blacks serving in MI6 so conceivably a black spy can assume the name James Bond and 007. Other than this, I think traditionally white characters should remain white, black characters who have black actors, Asians should be played by Asians, etc.
Ian Fleming took the name James Bond from an American ornithologist called James Bond, as he wanted a fairly normal down to earth name.

Bond was the characters real name, and his background was one of a Royal Naval Reserve Commander in the Naval Intelligene Service and who had served with 30 Assault Unit (Commando) during WW2, before joining Her Majesty's Secret Service (MI6). So Bond was part Commando and part Secret Agent, something Fleming based on many real men he had encountered including Fleming's own brother, Peter, who had been involved in behind-the-lines operations in Norway and Greece during the war.

There is even a image of what Bond should look like, however I am sure a black James Bond would be acceptable in terms of the modern MI6.

007 was a German Diplomatic code which was broken during WW1.

As for Fleming he used to gamble at the Clermont Club in London, alongside many high socity figures including architect Ernő Goldfinger and David Stirling, the founder of the Special Air Service (SAS), whilst other members included Lucian Freud, Peter Sellers, Lord Lucan, Lord Derby, Lord Boothby, Duke of Devonshire, James Goldsmith, Gianni Agnelli, Jim Slater, and Kerry Packer.

The club at No 44 Berkeley Square is currently being refurbished and will reopen in 2020.

James Bond - Wikipedia

As for Disney they plan a lot of new films, although they seem to be increasingly having less and less to do with the original books and narratives that they were originally based upon.

Here Are All of Disney's Upcoming Live-Action Movies - Time

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-08-2019 at 03:41 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 05:16 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Well isn't Ursula her Aunt purple? I honestly don't think The Mermaids have a race and in many fairy tales their just described as people of strange hues like Green and Blue. Also Mermaids themselves are a global phenomenon, although the Little Mermaid was based in European mythology the music as other's pointed out had a decidedly black and island flavor. If Ariel is going to be singing a song with Caribbean origins, and that was part of the Audition, no surprise the Grammy award winning singer got the role. I will say for the sake of the Danes and their tourist industry they maybe should have selected a Dane so they could have an excuse to build another Little Mermaid statue.

My question is Ursula white then? If Ariel is white. Obviously they where trying to otherize Ursula as the bad character by making her look less Human but still. I don't know how you can argue race matters if Ursula the King and Ariel are the same race. The King is clearly bronze-ish (More the typical look of a southern European/North african/historical Atlantean description than Danish that's for sure).
Well said.

Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 AM

5,111 posts, read 2,053,602 times
Some guys on Twitter have a sense of humor that'll trigger trigglypuffs and others SJWs and doing parodies of movies posters showing the other way around.

https://twitter.com/jondelarroz/stat...31140571172864
https://twitter.com/jondelarroz/stat...85251534516224

And one guy complained about Ginger erasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtT__Eqy2Mg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies