Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 10:00 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
It has been my experience (as a Jew) that people from India know little to nothing about Jews and Judaism, but they are still strongly biased against Jewish people.

So much so that I self-closet at work. It's that bad. Unlike Americans, they can't tell by my name (or by looking at me) that I'm not a WASP.

If I know fellow Jews in any department, I don't "out" them at work. I've seen H1Bs do a 180 on people once they find out someone's Jewish. It's stunning.
That is stunning. That is the last thing I owuld do - not smiling or not talking to anyone.

(Or maybe because some IT Admin found out that you were "The BigDGeek" ?? . I ask because with the amount of info we give, its not easy to find out who we are )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 10:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
The US gov makes it worse by dumping all of them together as "Asians", making it difficult to conduct analysis on hiring, termination, and promotion practices statistically, relying basically on complaints.

Old 08-02-2019, 10:58 AM

13 posts, read 6,389 times
Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. United has pushed for third party contracts from India for a while because of some upper management decision for "cheaper" labor. If you go to HQ at Sears, you will see what I mean.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:05 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
And now, for a counterpoint.

Yeah, in my professional dealings, some South Asian clients can be really difficult - such as bargaining really hard on every little thing and lowballing. I've worked with this by being firm and being upfront that it's a no go. That said, I have many wonderful neighbors from that region and we get along well.

Now here are some things that I actually respect South Asians for, that particularly some folks from my community (East Asians) can take:

They don't take s*** from nobody.
They'll fight back and be upfront if they're getting shortchanged. A good lesson for some mealy-mouthed Chinese or Japanese people who shy away from direct confrontation when it's needed but go into their passive aggressive mode. Heck, if you're not being treated right, speak up! Some folks need a swift kick in the you know what at times.

They aren't intimidated by White folks or Europeans, nor do they kowtow to their culture.
These are folks who kicked out the British. And while Winston Churchill is lionized by the British (and many Americans) as a hero, many if not most Indians despise Churchill for his opposition to Indian self-determination and independence, his racist attitudes towards Indians, and his hatred towards Mahatma Gandhi. Here in America, they'll name their American-born kids traditional names --- Arjun, Anushka, Rania, and Sanjay. Not Jennifer, Samuel (unless it's Sameer), or McKayla. Heck, even Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal got traditional Indian names until they changed it to fit into the South. Here in California, they don't have to do that. Like Ro Khanna in my area, or Pramila Jayapal in Seattle. While navigating one's identity and finding where you fit is often part and parcel of the process of Asian Americans who grow up as a minority community in America, I've found that South Asians seem to be more sure of themeselves and aren't apologetic about themselves, compared with say, Chinese and Japanese Americans (the latter group may have been really affected by the internment camp experience, to be fair).

They've gotten involved in civil affairs at a more rapid pace than other cultural groups. It's no secret that political participation is pathetically low for Asian Americans aggregately. South Asians, probably due to their general level of English fluency and tradition of being a democracy in their home country, have gotten into elective office involvement pretty well. By contrast, the tradition of oppression and totalitarianism in China has probably conditioned generations of Chinese Americans to lay low and stay out of politics. That's gotta change.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-02-2019 at 12:05 PM..

Old 08-02-2019, 11:53 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
That is stunning. That is the last thing I owuld do - not smiling or not talking to anyone.

(Or maybe because some IT Admin found out that you were "The BigDGeek" ?? . I ask because with the amount of info we give, its not easy to find out who we are )

Nope, that wasn't it. This happened even before I joined CD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And now, for a counterpoint.

Yeah, in my professional dealings, some South Asian clients can be really difficult - such as bargaining really hard on every little thing and lowballing. I've worked with this by being firm and being upfront that it's a no go. That said, I have many wonderful neighbors from that region and we get along well.

Now here are some things that I actually respect South Asians for, that particularly some folks from my community (East Asians) can take:

They aren't intimidated by White folks or Europeans, nor do they kowtow to their culture. .
If they're coming here to live, they should consider kowtowing to it a little. Speaking English at work would be a good start.

Old 08-02-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Nope, that wasn't it. This happened even before I joined CD.

If they're coming here to live, they should consider kowtowing to it a little. Speaking English at work would be a good start.
I'm coming from a somewhat different viewpoint. Kowtowing implies that you're debasing or not respecting yourself and your background. I'm saying that it's a good thing to be proud of your heritage, period and not be made to feel bad by others because of your background.

I'm sorry about your professional experiences, but your rant has gone beyond such grievances and has just turned into a slugfest of mindless Desi bashing.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I'm coming from a somewhat different viewpoint. Kowtowing implies that you're debasing or not respecting yourself and your background. I'm saying that it's a good thing to be proud of your heritage, period and not be made to feel bad by others because of your background.

I'm sorry about your professional experiences, but your rant has gone beyond such grievances and has just turned into a slugfest of mindless Desi bashing.

My desi coworkers from states other than Telangana and Andhra Pradesh by and large agree with me so nah, it's not "desi bashing."

Old 08-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
My desi coworkers from states other than Telangana and Andhra Pradesh by and large agree with me so nah, it's not "desi bashing."
Well, can't take your anecdotal sayings as face value. You've basically thrown everything and the kitchen sink at a community. What's next, drinking the blood of dead babies?

Have a masala chai and a smile, mate.

Last edited by silverkris; 08-06-2019 at 01:25 PM..

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Well, can't take your anecdotal sayings as face value. You've basically thrown everything and the kitchen sink at a community. What's next, drinking the blood of dead babies?

Have a masala chai and a smile, mate.
Interesting that you'd accuse a Jew of spewing blood libel against Indians when it's usually the other way around.

If you don't know what "blood libel" is, I encourage you to look it up. And then not accuse Jews of accusing others of it.

Old 08-07-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Interesting that you'd accuse a Jew of spewing blood libel against Indians when it's usually the other way around.

If you don't know what "blood libel" is, I encourage you to look it up. And then not accuse Jews of accusing others of it.
I'm basically making an exaggerated point - that you're going down that road of accusing South Asians of basically pretty bad things that go above and beyond your professional grievances.

My comment wasn't intentional, but it certainly reveals that you love dishing it out, but when you taste a little of your own medicine....all h*** breaks loose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies