Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 12:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,685,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
These guys will never be able to creep so far into White Southern society as to never come into contact with a Black or White person who is not repulsed by that picture. They will even be shunned by White people who share their sentiment but for political, social or business reasons are not so dumb as to broadcast that sentiment to the world for all eternity.
Sorry, you are naive. Many many white people are fine with that picture. MILLIONS of them.

Again, simply look at the last couple of weeks. The first and most powerful leader of the KKK was given honors and a special day by the White Governor of TN. Many on this board defend those moves.....

Maybe we can find some TN polling eventually to show you and others the real story. I lived there for three years and can promise you that many of the Republicans would glorify Forrest AND these fellas.

You are looking at the world through your own eyes and thinking it is Roses.

"Jul 12, 2019 - Gov. Bill Lee has proclaimed Saturday as Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in Tennessee, a day of observation to honor the former Confederate ..."

VAST numbers of people honor the guy....today! I'd guess in the state of TN that 40% of the Population approves of the "Day" honoring him.

You can't possibly think that somehow correlates with "no white person wouldn't be repulsed". What Nathan did (murder, castrations, dynamiting families, etc) is the Real Thing and kids as shown are part of the millions who support that history and think Nathan was a Great Man.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:23 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
The drama on this thread is getting boring. It's the same thing every single time:

Use words you don't know the meaning to because they sound scary.

Accuse the person(s) of a crime when even the Dept. of Justice doesn't know if they did a crime or not (because they don't work on assumptions in cases like this).

Screech that it was "threatening" despite the fact that it was posted on a private account, not out in public, spread around, handed out, sent off to for all to see.

The clutching of pearls from those trying so hard to prove that they aren't racist is so tired.

They have the right to take that photo that displays their character.

The person who had access to the private account and then snitched - I don't have a whole lot of warm feelings for that person, either. No one likes a snitch. Nonetheless, they have the right to "bring it to your attention Ole Miss".

The school has the right to investigate the matter.

Everyone should be prepared for backlash when they do things like this, including the snitch.

But the backlash should include facts only, not someone's fantasy fiction that they are making up in their heads to make sure that everyone is very aware that they are NOT racist!
Why do you think they took that photo?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:27 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Yep and they can be traced to a specific firearm.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...llet-be-trace/
where are these ‘spent bullets’ that passed thru a metal sign?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:28 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I'm going to guess to show off to their friends what they think of Emmett Till, or any other black person for that matter. As I said, they have the right to take a photo that reveals their character. It clearly does reveal it.

What I posted still stands as it had to do with the overly dramatic posts on this thread.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:30 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Probably on a dare knowing so many would get butt hurt.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No one is addressing why this may look good to the same people - MILLIONS OF THEM - that just set aside a day to honor the top Klansman! Is there a reason for this?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nathan-...on-2019-07-12/

"Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a proclamation declaring July 13 Nathan Bedford Forrest Day. Forrest was a Confederate general, slave trader and an early leader of the Ku Klux Klan. "

Explain why these guys wouldn't be honored similarly? Forest used murder, violence and intimidation...just like they are promoting.

If we look back in 10 years chances are these dudes will have a job with the GOP somewhere. Really! IMHO.

If anyone can carefully explain why the same people who honor Forest with a holiday wouldn't look kindly upon these dudes....be my guest.

My take is that decent Americans don't understand either history....nor the present. What makes a current Gov. of a state do such things? Obviously there is a LOT of support for it.
Being Grand Lizard of the KKK certainly didn’t impede the career of Sen. Robert Byrd, patron saint of the Democrats. Queen Mother Hillary speaks fondly of her time under his tutelage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
The photo of them holding rifles and smiling in front of a bullet ridden memorial to a child that was lynched.
So free speech is fine until it offends *you*, right? Maybe you just need to get your feels under control.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Sorry, you are naive. Many many white people are fine with that picture. MILLIONS of them.

Again, simply look at the last couple of weeks. The first and most powerful leader of the KKK was given honors and a special day by the White Governor of TN. Many on this board defend those moves.....

Maybe we can find some TN polling eventually to show you and others the real story. I lived there for three years and can promise you that many of the Republicans would glorify Forrest AND these fellas.

You are looking at the world through your own eyes and thinking it is Roses.

"Jul 12, 2019 - Gov. Bill Lee has proclaimed Saturday as Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in Tennessee, a day of observation to honor the former Confederate ..."

VAST numbers of people honor the guy....today! I'd guess in the state of TN that 40% of the Population approves of the "Day" honoring him.

You can't possibly think that somehow correlates with "no white person wouldn't be repulsed". What Nathan did (murder, castrations, dynamiting families, etc) is the Real Thing and kids as shown are part of the millions who support that history and think Nathan was a Great Man.
Nope, I'm not naive. I just know plenty of Midwestern cowboy conservatives who use the term "dumb Redneck " to refer to some of the racist stuff you can get way with down south. One of these guys would no more put a confederate flag on his truck than he would a black power fist. And conversely I can't name very many black people that I know who support Louis Farrakhan, yet it is assumed by the far right that all black people are his followers.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:32 PM

8,131 posts, read 4,331,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Trump View Post
Backlash to political correctness.

No political correctness here. Mississippi is the only state in the USA still flying the Confederate battle emblem. Cindy Hyde-Smith, send help!

Quote:
A pro-Confederate rally Saturday at the University of Mississippi, or “Ole Miss,” in the town of Oxford, claimed to be a defense of Southern heritage instead of racism. It also began with a prayer of thanks to Southern plantation owners for teaching “heathen” Africans about Christianity.

https://thinkprogress.org/confederate-rally-at-ole-miss-begins-with-prayer-of-thanks-to-plantation-owners-8f728ec8f4b8/

Last edited by tillman7; 07-27-2019 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-27-2019, 01:37 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,531,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I thought the left supported freedom of speech. Guess NOT!
You must be someone who wrongly believes Freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:47 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
You must be someone who wrongly believes Freedom of speech means freedom from consequences.
True. Don't have a Trump/Pence bumper sticker on a coast or bad things will happen. Illegal things will happen.

They brought it upon themselves like a skirt too short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies