Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 12:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Duh... you force everyone to walk through a metal detector and then it's in the air. How would that work at a Walmart.
It won't work. It would cause massive inconvenience, disruption in traffic, and annoyance. But you know what? It's worth it and has to happen. In every business (bar/restaruant/store) and in every mall entrance in the US.

You know how these mass shootings are the cost we have to pay for NRA and gun lovers insistence on doing nothing? Massive new security are also the price we should have to pay. These kinds of things cannot happen. Period.

I assume due to increase armed security and screening costs during screening stores will have to raise their prices on products. And since hopefully nearly all business would do it, customers wouldn't be able to base where they give their business on that.

If the shooters shoots at people in line? Well - you see what happened in Dayton. Armed guards at the entrace will quickly take him down, reducing the death count from 30 - to 10!

Guns have inconvenienced the lives of Americans enough already as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 12:19 PM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
We're only 12 hours removed from this terrorist attack, so I'm sure authorities are still delving into Connor Betts' social media accounts and internet history to determine a motive.

But I just saw on the news that, outside of killing his own sister, Betts shot and killed 8 people. 6 of those 8 people he killed were black, and apparently a majority of the 15 other people who were shot but survived were also black.

Wonder if there's anything to that..... or if it's just a coincidence that Connor Betts shot mostly black people.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Another ugly one. No wonder he went nuts.
He looks perfectly normal, even kind of handsome.

Like a guy I'd like to have lunch with.

Due to the state of this country with all of the crazy rhetoric being thrown around by our Commander in Chief, horrible state of mental health care and the availability and love of guns and assault rifles in the US like they are candy - it has nothing to do with his looks.

Any male (particularly white males) are fair game at being radicalized now.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:38 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wrong, there are still drugs floodingvour borders.

Do you really believe tge US stopped the illegal import of drugs? Seriously, you believe that?
I am pleased that you want to stop the flow of guns in the US. Now lets work together for solutions to get that done.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
If you don’t carry your own gun and don’t care about protecting your own life, why should I care about you?

I carry all the time and will NOT use to protect others as I know they wouldn’t do for me.
Well isn't ^^^ this special.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Due to the state of this country with all of the crazy rhetoric being thrown around by our Commander in Chief, horrible state of mental health care and the availability and love of guns and assault rifles in the US like they are candy - it has nothing to do with his looks.

Any male (particularly white males) are fair game at being radicalized now.
Some serious questions:

Is there seriously a lack of mental health help around the country? I live in the Columbine (High School) area of Colorado, so maybe we now have more than our fair share of mental health facilities here, but I would find it hard to believe that anyone living here would find help difficult to get help.

Of course, another problem is identifying people who need help, and then it is sometimes difficult to persuade people to get help -- some people are very resistant to that. And another thing -- many don't show obvious symptoms, so how do we separate the seriously disturbed ones from those who are "only" mildly disturbed? Should every high school student be required to undertake an intensive psychological evaluation? And, if so, what should be done with those who don't "pass"?

Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Are you wanting to do away with things like search warrants and allow police to enter anyone's home in order to reduce crime?
If the gun violence and mass shootings escalate anymore, which I am afraid they will, welcome to martial law.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:49 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Have you accepted all the DWI deaths as collateral damage or are you ready to ban either cars or alcohol?
DWIs and other traffic-related deaths have been successfully reduced by sustained investment in regulation, enforcement, and safety. We have cameras, radar, active law enforcement involvement in deterrence, seat belt laws, cars with safety features, lots of messaging around not drinking and driving, etc.

With firearms proliferation and usage, we have no such thing because people like you who insist on preserving a Wild West scenario. Even the regulations we have of any kind around firearms acquisition, proliferation, and usage are opposed by conservatives.

As such, you are complicit in this carnage, and your thoughts and prayers are more than just useless - they are an insult on top of injury.

Old 08-04-2019, 12:56 PM

24,406 posts, read 23,065,142 times
His parents didn't like Trump or the alt right. That won't play well. So was he pissed that he wouldn't get let in that club, mad at his sister and her boyfriend, or did something trigger a rage like with the garlic shooter.
I just don't trust the people who want us to give up our guns. Some are well meaning dupes who don't really understand the problem, others are just in it to bash people and take something from them to even some imagined score. Others, they don't want people to have guns because they want them to be defenseless.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:08 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Works on airplanes.
because an airplane is the same as a city!!

Planes already have very controlled access.
I understand you're emotional and outraged- and rightfully so.
Moonbat ideas only make things worse.

America is way past the point of no return in terms of gun control. Any restrictive legislation-such as what Australia enacted in the wake of the 1996 Port Arthur massacre- would do more harm than good in terms of allowing law-abiding americans to defend themselves and other innocent folks. It's too late for that now

It would result in pretty much the same as Prohibition did, or the "war on drugs" total failure and disaster.
MORE lives would be lost.

I agree with those who say something has to be done-though I feel it's someTHINGS have to be done.
It will take time, things will get worse before better.

What can be done? Stop the identity politics for starters. Hating fellow human beings just cause of their skin color, sexual orientation, sexual preference, faith, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender etc.

When everyone hates everyone -there is no sense of belonging, of being a part of something greater than ourselves, no sense of community. This leads to isolation, irrational fear, misplaced rage, undue anxiety, hopelessness. A house divided cannot stand , and will fall for anything.
My hometown of milwaukee, decided to bus poorer inner city kids to outlying school districts. Well meaning, but it destroyed any sense of community these kids had ie: "our" block, "our" school "our neighborhood"
they went from belonging to outsiders. Not good as it destroyed the once strong fabric of their communities.

Aussies can be a bit much in their patriotism, and Aussie pride. But we aren't offing ourselves in record numbers either. Coincidence? maybe
Then add the wealth disparity- America is 17th and falling in terms of socioeconomic mobility.
When your down that's where you'll stay.

All this adds up to the perfect storm of violence and hate. You can blame TRump i suppose, he sure ins;t helping matters; but this predates him. This has been building up for some time. Everyone pushing their political and religious ideologies on others, instead of thinking "different but equal is ok"

Solutions are much easier said than done. It will require a lot of introspection, drastic changes for many.
Can it happen? Absolutely. Will it? I pray it does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies