Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 06:24 AM

28,679 posts, read 18,806,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Don't say that like it's a bad thing. LOL
I left myself open, because clearly I knew the right answer myself.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:33 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The only story I've read about a person fighting back was 29 y/o James Shaw Jr. who wrestled an AR-15 rifle from a gunman who had already killed four people at Nashville Waffle House.

He grabbed the hot barrel of the AR-15 and threw it over the counter, then grabbed the shooter and hauled him outside.

James Shaw was unarmed. Nonetheless, he took care of business.

4b511ec12ebb414d994c08671f0f2490
"The only story I've read about a person fighting back" And THIS is one of the BIG problems we have with the LIBERAL media. The do NOT do reports on these types of stories.

44 PAGES of this type of stories that only goes back to Oct 20, 2018. And these are ONLY the ones they KNOW ABOUT.

Make sure you read July, 19.

The Armed Citizen® July 29, 2019

In Washington state, a homeowner encountered a vagrant who had broken into his home.

The Armed Citizen® July 26, 2019

A cabbie picked up a fare on the campus of Indiana State University during his...

News The Armed Citizen® July 22, 2019

A man trying to force his way into a Crescent Township home met with more...

An armed citizen in Trenton, Mo., used his concealed firearm to help assist an officer...

The Armed Citizen® July 15

A home intruder met his end after breaking and entering into the wrong home in...

The Armed Citizen® July 12, 2019

At a gas station in Mount Clemons, Mich., a clerk and several customers were inside...

News The Armed Citizen® July 8, 2019

In Lumberton, N.C., two men entered a home early in the evening. The two located...
The Armed Citizen® July 5, 2019

While driving at 3 a.m. around the Chicago Loop, a Volkswagen rear-ended a BMW.

The Armed Citizen® July 1, 2019

Shortly before midnight in April, a man was riding a rental scooter to a local...

The Armed Citizen® June 28, 2019

A muddled scene unfolded in El Paso one Wednesday night, when a girl and her...

The Armed Citizen® June 24, 2019

Messing with a motorcyclist is never a wise policy, but some folks just have to...

The Armed Citizen® June 21, 2019

Things turned violent at a St. Louis gas station one Wednesday afternoon, when a carjacker...

The Armed Citizen® June 17, 2019

Sitting at home, a couple was in the living room when they heard loud banging...

The Armed Citizen® June 14, 2019

A Texan woman took a burglary in progress into her own hands one Thursday morning...

Old 08-07-2019, 06:37 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why are you too lazy to look it up yourself? Or maybe you don't know how!

"According to ABC News, El Paso law enforcement officials advise that," "his recon was also calculated to make sure that he would be attacking in a low-security area. In that regard, the Walmart store had no armed security guard, no police presence, and was located in a shopping mall that was a self-proclaimed “gun-free zone.”

https://spectator.org/mass-shootings-in-gun-free-zones/

"and I will publicly eat my hat." What size hat do you wear? And we want videos.

Indeed. It was a "gun free zone." The shooter really honored that didn't he. Still there was a guy there who was carrying. He was a soldier from the nearby base as I understand it and he covered the retreat of a mob of kids getting out. Didn't fire a shot. But stood his ground and covered the kids. Awesome job man!

Still the place was self proclaimed as "gun free." Gee I wonder why the shooter chose it? . All these type of attacks are against soft targets. Schools, malls, nightclubs, concerts etc mostly having been declared "gun free." Even on the Army base that Hassan shot up nobody but him had a weapon. They had to wait for the MPs. He certainly knew that going in.

And these mass killers also count on the confused and frightened crowd to be their cover. That gives them a serious tactical advantage as they are not concerned about innocents as anyone (except cops) who might return fire will be.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:39 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
They are?
Yes, these shooting are rare, and account for a very, very small amount of homicides by people using a gun. Suicides account for the most, by far, followed by inner city Black on Black murder that is often drug, and gang related.

Why doesn't the MEDIA talk about "Gang Violence" anymore? Why was it replaced by "Gun Violence" to describe inner city gang violence? The Media wants the weak minded to blame the tool, not the criminal. Big mistake.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:40 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,984,194 times
1) increased scrutiny around background checks (upon purchase of gun) and an annual license renewal process which includes a background check update. If you beat your wife you lose your guns, commit a felony you lose your guns, if you are a pedo and go after some kids ideally you’re in jail for 20 years.

2) elimination of large extended mags (e.g. 50 and 100 round drums)

3) limitation of gun modifications (uppers and lowers) things like dynamic triggers to make a semi auto almost near full auto should be removed.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Open carry. Means you can carry it as long as it's visible. But from what I understand, you can't have bullets in the weapon or on your person. I'll consult my associates who reside in Texas ASAP about it and get back with you. But from my recollection of past discussions with them, open carry doesn't always mean with a loaded weapon, just that the weapon (without ammo) is openly displayed.

Now one thing to note, open carry doesn't allow weapons at events where there are a lot of children present, for example at amusement parks, sporting events, educational institutions, etc. Since this shooting happened at a mall, and that mall was full of kids shopping for back to school materials, I'd say that it was most likely a "gun free" zone and open carry was not allowed.

I'll find out for sure.
" But from what I understand, you can't have bullets in the weapon or on your person"

What complete idiots would make that a law?

What is the use of carrying of it is unloaded?

Next they will want ALL police to be UN-loaded!

Old 08-07-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Open carry has no bullet restrictions. You must be licensed to carry a handgun however in order to open carry in Texas. Everyday unlicensed citizens can only possess a gun in their home, car, RV, boat, etc. and it MUST be concealed.
"Everyday unlicensed citizens can only possess a gun in their home, car, RV, boat, etc. and it MUST be concealed?

So, ALL Texans have to take down the guns on the racks in their houses, etc.?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That doesn't make much sense. "Lost in El Paso?" so where where did he intend to be after driving 10 hours south from Allen?

Didn't he know he was going to see a lot more Latinos in a border town than in Allen?

"Whoa! A whole lot of Mexicans in this store only a mile from the Mexican border! I sure didn't expect that!"

No, I don't expect he picked that Walmart because it was specifically a gun-free zone, he picked it because it was full of Latinos.
"he picked it because it was full of Latinos." you ASKED him and he TOLD you this?

Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 AM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Why are you too lazy to look it up yourself? Or maybe you don't know how!

"According to ABC News, El Paso law enforcement officials advise that," "his recon was also calculated to make sure that he would be attacking in a low-security area. In that regard, the Walmart store had no armed security guard, no police presence, and was located in a shopping mall that was a self-proclaimed “gun-free zone.”

https://spectator.org/mass-shootings-in-gun-free-zones/

"and I will publicly eat my hat." What size hat do you wear? And we want videos.
My daughter works in Security (NY and Florida) and has worked in different national chain retail stores and supermarkets. They are not Gun Free zones for the customers but it is Corporate, meaning across the country, policy that their employees are not allowed to be armed. This includes Security Officers. She has worked with LEO's moonlighting as Security in these stores. These LEO's as well are not allowed to be armed when they are employed by theses stores. They will be fired if they do. It is in the employment contract with the stores. Police do patrol the parking lots of these malls and Security at the stores do have radios to contact the police directly in their squad cars.

So write to Corporate Walmart, Target, Beal's, Publix, etc., etc., and tell them to change their policy. It is not State Laws preventing it.

Did you know this? If you didn't, do you think the shooters did? Also, many of these stores Security are undercover, meaning they do not wear uniforms or anything which will identify them.

Last edited by Jo48; 08-07-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 08-07-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
1) increased scrutiny around background checks (upon purchase of gun) and an annual license renewal process which includes a background check update. If you beat your wife you lose your guns, commit a felony you lose your guns, if you are a pedo and go after some kids ideally you’re in jail for 20 years.

2) elimination of large extended mags (e.g. 50 and 100 round drums)

3) limitation of gun modifications (uppers and lowers) things like dynamic triggers to make a semi auto almost near full auto should be removed.
"1) increased scrutiny around background checks (upon purchase of gun) " No problem with that

"and an annual license renewal process which includes a background check update." With today's technology not needed, should be able to be flagged to the local police just as your credit card company let's you know about "unusual" charges against your card.

"If you beat your wife" NOPE, a physical action NOT using a gun should NOT be reason to get your gun confiscated.

"commit a felony you lose your guns," ALREADY a law.

"to make a semi auto almost near full auto should be removed."

One reason why we CAN'T have "reasonable discussions" on guns. MOST antis know VERY LITTLE about guns and EXISTING laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies