Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2019, 07:15 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,847,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivers View Post
this is a stupid question, what do responsible car drives do about drunk driving, what do responsible gun owners do about bank armed robbery. Answer not a damn thing. Its not my job to fix some idiot who is a drunk driver or someone who wants to commit a crime.
Vote, stand up for innocent people, want change, don't be complacent, turn in assault guns. Report something that does not look right. There must be hundreds of things we can do.

One thing we should not do is keep hiding our heads in the sand and saying what could I have done. This is an epidemic.

Saying it's not my job, is just another cop out. We need to wake up and take responsibility. If we don't, who will? Look at all the lives lost and lives affected by the senseless killings and wounding of innocents.

We are in a war zone and we may be losing battles and the war. JMO

Old 08-07-2019, 07:23 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Indeed. It was a "gun free zone." The shooter really honored that didn't he. Still there was a guy there who was carrying. He was a soldier from the nearby base as I understand it and he covered the retreat of a mob of kids getting out. Didn't fire a shot. But stood his ground and covered the kids. Awesome job man!

Still the place was self proclaimed as "gun free." Gee I wonder why the shooter chose it? All these type of attacks are against soft targets. Schools, malls, nightclubs, concerts etc mostly having been declared "gun free." Even on the Army base that Hassan shot up nobody but him had a weapon. They had to wait for the MPs. He certainly knew that going in.

And these mass killers also count on the confused and frightened crowd to be their cover. That gives them a serious tactical advantage as they are not concerned about innocents as anyone (except cops) who might return fire will be.
We have already proven here in this thread from "ground truth" that Walmart itself is physically and by ownership separate from the shopping center and is not a "gun free" zone...that is, it does not bear the required Texas 30.06/30.07 signage to prohibit carrying handguns, either concealed or open.

Being a gun owner in Texas, the shooter certainly understood what it meant when he saw no sign at the door, and understood Walmart's Texas policies as well.

What was more obvious is that the Walmart was full of Latinos, and mostly women and children as the case with any Walmart, with little effective cover, and he knew he massively outgunned anyone with a handgun.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:25 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yes, these shooting are rare, and account for a very, very small amount of homicides by people using a gun. Suicides account for the most, by far, followed by inner city Black on Black murder that is often drug, and gang related.

Why doesn't the MEDIA talk about "Gang Violence" anymore? Why was it replaced by "Gun Violence" to describe inner city gang violence? The Media wants the weak minded to blame the tool, not the criminal. Big mistake.
Gang violence is as old in America as the hot dog.

Nobody has any real ideas about what to do about gang violence. There is no hobby horse to ride.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:34 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Vote, stand up for innocent people, want change, don't be complacent, turn in assault guns. Report something that does not look right. There must be hundreds of things we can do.

One thing we should not do is keep hiding our heads in the sand and saying what could I have done. This is an epidemic.

Saying it's not my job, is just another cop out. We need to wake up and take responsibility. If we don't, who will? Look at all the lives lost and lives affected by the senseless killings and wounding of innocents.

Indeed? Well, I would ask what exactly me turning in my "assault gun" would accomplish. My rifle is used for legitimate legal purposes. Not mass murder. Should the cops turn theirs in as well? They have real honest to God assault rifles in beat patrol cars they use to patrol my neighborhood. But because of evil people who commit mass murder my significantly different from the cops weapons should be turned in? Not happening.

Hundreds of thing we could do? We firearms owners DO stand up for innocent people. If required we will do so under fire. Nobody I know carries an AR 15 on their back for defensive purposes. Active shooters carry at the ready for murder purposes. We armed citizens will face this with nothing but a handgun. Which is better than nothing but it leaves us very outgunned. Still capable but outgunned. So this is what we do. Try and be as prepared as we can within our ability.

I have personally reported serious incidents, not just something odd, to the police and their failure to act resulted in an attempted murder. I don't count on the cops for a damn thing. Nobody I know is hiding their head in the sand. Not at all. But far left nuts sure are. Saying we should hide behind the cops like frightened rabbits and turn in our weapons of defense.

We are not just sitting out here not doing a thing. Far from it.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:41 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:

You calling something an "assault gun" doesn't make it so any more than calling a short skirt a "rape skirt".

Old 08-07-2019, 07:43 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:

Wow. MANY TIMES more people are killed by DUIs and distracted drivers (frequently texting) than by shooting deaths. I see no one insisting that vehicles and cell phones be heavily restricted or banned.

The National Safety Council has reported that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 330,000 injuries and fatalities occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving. 1 out of every 4 car accidents in the United States is caused by texting and driving.

Take a look at the data, broken out by age:
Quote:
"For illustrative purposes, Figure 1 shows the distribution of drivers by age for all drivers involved in fatal crashes, distracted drivers involved in fatal crashes, and distracted drivers on cell phones during fatal crashes"
Figure 1: https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...riving2015.pdf

Should we ban everyone under age 40 from owning/using cell phones because those in that age group are 68% of those using them while driving resulting in the consequent 1.6 million distracted driving automobile accidents each year?

I'm willing to bet no one would be willing to go along with that, and cell phone ownership/use isn't even a Constitutional Right.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:43 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.
Outlaw gun ownership in Chicago?

Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 278
Shot & Wounded: 1365
Total Shot: 1643
Total Homicides: 305

But Chicago's shootings aren't Trump's fault but El Paso's is?

Old 08-07-2019, 07:47 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There were 3k people in the area and that included the mall which shared a parking lot with Walmart. If you were going to both locations, the mall was a designated "gun free zone". A lot of people would prepare for that shopping trip by leaving their weapon at home.
Unless the CC was visible and there is metal detection at the place, how do we know or not the person is carrying? It isn't like AZ where owners can refuse business of anyone with a visible gun. This mall would need security that knew what to lol for for a gun free zone. Schools are a better example in the gun free zone misdirection.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:49 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Unless the CC was visible and there is metal detection at the place, how do we know or not the person is carrying? It isn't like AZ where owners can refuse business of anyone with a visible gun. This mall would need security that knew what to lol for for a gun free zone. Schools are a better example in the gun free zone misdirection.
The Garlic Festival in California was a gun free zone, as was the concert in Las Vegas. Make no mistake, killers are deliberately targeting the unarmed in gun free zones.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:52 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,247,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
I'm at a loss here.

Clean up the NRA. Restart the gun safety programs; start teaching gun safety in the poor areas as well. and get away from the NRA being Whites only.

Get rid of the IRON PIPELINE.

Call out against those pumping racial division.

Educate your self as to actually going on. This means reading from VERIFIED sources. A left leaning but highly factual news website; https://theintercept.com/2019/08/05/...rump-fox-news/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies