Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 09:55 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

My youngest son has two middle names, named for both of his grandfathers. I guess one of the posters thinks that is wrong.

I have a friend from Guatemala who is very fluent in English. But he speaks to my grand children in Spanish because he is teaching it to them, and also uses it with most of his friends. He also has two last names. Using their mother's maiden name is for respect to their mother.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It wouldn't necessarily bother me if some Americans spoke Spanish or gibberish in public per se. But if people are coming here illegally or even properly immigrated, are refusing to learn and speak English and making a racket, I want them to leave or be removed.
Speaking Spanish and coming here illegally are two different things. This is why I didn't bring up illegals. It has nothing to do with this thread. Want to talk about illegals? Start your onw thread. This thread is neither the time or the place for it. The woman involved isn't an illegal.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:42 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Speaking Spanish and coming here illegally are two different things. This is why I didn't bring up illegals. It has nothing to do with this thread. Want to talk about illegals? Start your onw thread. This thread is neither the time or the place for it. The woman involved isn't an illegal.
Not usually. And please shut up about going off topic on a side discusion. You went off topic too and I replied.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:44 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Not usually. And please shut up about going off topic on a side discusion. You went off topic too and I replied.
Illegal alien refers to a status. Spanish refers to a language. Again, illegal aliens has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:46 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Wrong again.

Latino immigrants assimilate and acquire the English language just as fast as anyone else. Just because they speak Spanish in public and among themselves doesn't mean they can't or won't speak English

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ended-right-in

What people name their kid is their own business, and if they want to give their child a traditional name, more power to them. Indian Americans tend to name their kids traditional names. Heck, your state's former governor Bobby Jindal's given name was Piyush. So is your name Billy Joe Jim Bob Chang?
Corrected to say English...in bold

Old 08-12-2019, 10:48 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times
Quote:
If I was in uniform, I would have said this: "I'm the one serving this country, not you, so what language I speak is none of your business".
This. I bet this was not a Hawaii local woman, and as a military dependent, she probably HATES Hawaii, because you will here any number of languages spoken on a regular basis: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, etc.

I would have just told her "your opinion doesn't matter."

I would guess that the airman was not an illegal immigrant, so I have no idea where that discussion is coming from.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
This. I bet this was not a Hawaii local woman, and as a military dependent, she probably HATES Hawaii, because you will here any number of languages spoken on a regular basis: Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino, etc.

I would have just told her "your opinion doesn't matter."

I would guess that the airman was not an illegal immigrant, so I have no idea where that discussion is coming from.
It was a side discussion answering the question of why would anyone be bothered with someone speaking Spanish publically in general.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:16 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
It is important important for Spanish-speaking immigrants to know a moderate amount of English (reading and speaking) after they been here for a while. If they have not gotten that much amount of English down after being here at least two years, their priorities are messed-up. Likewise, it certainly doesn't hurt for people whose native tongue is American English to become moderate speakers and writers of Spanish.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,402,729 times
Quote:
Illegal alien refers to a status. Spanish refers to a language. Again, illegal aliens has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
"Spanish" can also refer to Spain when addressing one's nationality or ethnicity.

It is important important for Spanish-speaking immigrants to know a moderate amount of English (reading and speaking) after they been here for a while. If they have not gotten that much amount of English down after being here at least two years, then I think they were wisely prioritizing. Likewise, it certainly doesn't hurt for people whose native tongue is American English to become moderate speakers and writers of Spanish. Person A (the immigrant) cannot rely on Person B (interpreter) for Person C (person whose native tongue is American English) for every situation.

Old 08-12-2019, 06:24 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
That's the problem with Hispanics thinking breaking into the country, colonizing it and being a pest shouldn't be a problem to anyone.
Some of these Hispanics' families have been here as long as the Mayflower.

And speaking about the Mayflower and the Jamestown settlers, they broke into the country, colonized it and were certainly more than a pest to the locals - infecting them with diseases and taking their lands. Ya think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies