Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 03:28 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, many years ago a local farmer on the East End of Long Island wrote in the local paper that he could not get anyone to work his fields picking the crops. He said he put ads in all the local papers and nobody applied.

His own teenage children refused as well saying that got a job at (AC) McD's or in Summer Camps for little kids. Solution? Pick Your Own Strawberries, Apples, Pumpkins, etc., to the General Public. Nobody wanted to do it for paid wages, but did it for themselves and day out in the country.
Many years ago, during the RE boom in the 80s, a friend was a thriving contractor in an upscale area.

He could not get anyone to pour cement. Nobody wanted to do that job. He finally hired some Mexicans (in the northeast) to pour cement. Long story short--he got caught, was fined and named in the local papers. He didn't do it again. He also found another career.

The US needs guest workers. As soon as Trump is gone and sanity prevails, there will be a guest worker program instituted as there should be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 03:31 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's a pro immigration tweet. They showed pictures of the recent illegal round up.
And then the link goes back to an article dated March talking about a severe shortage and why we need immigrants.

But the most recent Labor report says differently.

We don't have a shortage of unskilled labor. If anything we have a glut of unskilled labor and that's why low wages remain low.

Where we do have a shortage is skilled blue collar labor.
willing to work for $13/hr I must add, apparently blue collar productivity is also not up to the high corporate standards. We are truly blessed that corporate brass and lesser minion' productivity is shooting through the roof as we speak. Our saviors.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:36 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's a pro immigration tweet. They showed pictures of the recent illegal round up.
And then the link goes back to an article dated March talking about a severe shortage and why we need immigrants.

But the most recent Labor report says differently.

We don't have a shortage of unskilled labor. If anything we have a glut of unskilled labor and that's why low wages remain low.

Where we do have a shortage is skilled blue collar labor.
I'm not even sure we have a shortage of skilled blue collar labor.

My extended family members are electricians and plumbers. The electrician had his son go apply to join the IBEW electrical union and apparently there is waiting list to get in that is months and months long. They also raised the score you have to get to be able to even qualify to join.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:43 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status...39845834661888

1) This is a lie.
2) If there was a real shortage of low-skilled workers you'd see a huge spike in their pay, you haven't.
3) If there was a spike in pay, you would see some Americans moving back into the labor force... but few have

They mean, there is a lack of people to exploit.
How much more you think someone is going to pay you to put a brake pad in a box? I have a hard time thinking that we can go back to being able to raise a family and be middle class working in a factory floor, not troubleshooting machines.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:44 PM

43,110 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

My extended family members are electricians and plumbers. The electrician had his son go apply to join the IBEW electrical union and apparently there is waiting list to get in that is months and months long. They also raised the score you have to get to be able to even qualify to join.
Well that is good to hear but I would think it's also regional.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:02 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
How much more you think someone is going to pay you to put a brake pad in a box? I have a hard time thinking that we can go back to being able to raise a family and be middle class working in a factory floor, not troubleshooting machines.
Considering that they've paid Yahoo CEO 200 millions a year to put Yahoo 6 feet under and lose billions, it is not unreasonable to expect that sort of work to pay living wage.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:34 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,373,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post

Same thing here. I am always hearing about the shortage of electricians in this state. What I think they mean is a shortage of electricians with 3-5 years of experience, along with other assorted things.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:36 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Obama's Fed, had how many QE's?
That is why the cost of living soared.
Still cost the same amount of gold as 1913, though.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:52 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Maybe where you live but get out and look around. Take Minneapolis for instance. There is a huge labor shortage here and there has been for a while. Try finding a restaurant here without a “Now hiring” sign on it. I’ll be waiting.
That's not evidence of a labor shortage.

It's evidence of a pay shortage.

Pay the market rate, and you will get your workers.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:55 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Ok, the automation stuff applies to 15-20 or more years into the future. We’re talking about right now. As I and others linked to in prior posts, there are hard numbers that support that the nation is indeed objectively facing a labor shortage right now.
There are no such numbers, and there is no labor shortage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies