Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 11:23 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
It's as if he thinks Greenland is a real estate deal....
I don't think President Trump cares about this country. He's in this to benefit him. Trying to buy Greenland could be proof of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 11:27 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many people like Trump because he makes his opponents angry. Many people measure the kind of job Trump is doing based on how angry people who didn't vote for him get. Many people know President Trump is behaving like a petulant brat. Many know this and continue to support him in spite of (or in many cases BECAUSE OF) it. President Trump's behavior makes many people angry, and rightfully so. However, people getting upset pleases some of his supporters. This isn't just about Trump. We're in a culture war. It has become "whatever makes the other side squirm, do it".
Good point.

There's quite a number of people who are just angry and frustrated in general. They feel like victims, they got stuck in jobs that went away because of innovation, technology and the access to global resources. They resonate with the "MAGA" slogan because they believed or at least hoped Individual1 was going to roll back time to somewhere in the 1940s and 50s ... back to the post war and mass production era, where the little woman stayed home and the men went to work, where global markets were limited and contained.

This is a cultural war waged within the U.S., which Individual1 ignites often and his supporters embrace. They want the time when it was okay to treat other races as less than, they prefer women have fewer rights, and an authoritarian person in charge suits them, emotionally. Most have no idea how much they've been played but it's all right there.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:32 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times
Politicians do stupid things that hurt some people and normally put money in their pockets and more power/control in their hands. That is pretty much all that politicians do and I expect little else from them. Sometimes they are obvious about it, sometimes subtle, but they all do the same thing.

At least this is amusing. Since they take so much of my money, they should at least try to be entertaining. trump is very very good at being entertaining.

What would be really funny to me is if he somehow pulled it off and acquired Greenland. I know nothing about Greenland or why we would want it, but the entertainment value is off the charts. Far better than a stupid war that has no chance of accomplishing anything or another yawner scandal or yes another pointless investigation.

I understand they are going to waste my money playing games and being stupid (or giving it to their friends). That is just how it is. but at least they can be entertaining about it. We pay a lot for entertainment. They should contribute. Trump has created the most political entertainment out of DC in decades. He makes both sides act and look crazy and stupid. It is like some scripted reality TV show, only better.

Who could have come up with buying Greenland? Even the better TV comedy writers are unlikely to come up with this. Maybe it is a good thing, maybe purely stupid, but it is certainly entertaining.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:34 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The petulant child in the WH is an embarrassment to all sane American adults.

Anyone not drinking the orange koolaid should be eager to vote this spectacular failure out of office and restore a sense of dignity to our standing in the world.
This is the thing. Many people who are not embarrassed by President Trump are themselves sane. This is what I see. I see many angry people and feel like their world is threatened. Supporting a con man, a vulgar, petulant person, this is one form of lashing out. We all know Trump is wrong. Many of his supporters know that he is wrong. However, some of his supporters see this as an opportunity to "stick it to the left". This is why many of his supporters laugh at people such as us. This is why some of his supporters aren't embarrassed.

I consider Trump to be an embarrassment, and you do to. But the more unhappy we are, the happier some of his staunch supporters are.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:37 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,101,791 times
Quote:
This is the thing. Many people who are not embarrassed by President Trump are themselves sane. This is what I see. I see many angry people and feel like their world is threatened. Supporting a con man, a vulgar, petulant person, this is one form of lashing out. We all know Trump is wrong. Many of his supporters know that he is wrong. However, some of his supporters see this as an opportunity to "stick it to the left". This is why many of his supporters laugh at people such as us. This is why some of his supporters aren't embarrassed.

I consider Trump to be an embarrassment, and you do to. But the more unhappy we are, the happier some of his staunch supporters are.
Yes, America and the entire planet for that matter could go to hell in a handbasket and all is well for the Trumpies as long as Trump is "trolling the libs".

Old 08-21-2019, 11:39 AM

18,114 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

At least this is amusing. Since they take so much of my money, they should at least try to be entertaining. trump is very very good at being entertaining. {snip for space} Maybe it is a good thing, maybe purely stupid, but it is certainly entertaining.
I guess people really wanted a reality show TV star and they got it. Big ego, unable to work well with others, tantrums, lies, can't manage or lead, but hey, who needs competence and sanity in the most important job in the U.S. As long as people are entertained.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:42 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
I don't think President Trump cares about this country. He's in this to benefit him. Trying to buy Greenland could be proof of it.
Trump wanted to buy Greenland for himself, didn't he? My sense is that this wasn't about the states buying a country, it was about Trump and his real estate deals.

The Queen of Denmark invited the USA President for a diplomatic visit, and somehow Trump thought it was a private invitation to discuss his personal business opportunities. Very strange.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:45 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Yes, America and the entire planet for that matter could go to hell in a handbasket and all is well for the Trumpies as long as Trump is "trolling the libs".
Yes, these people don't care about the country at all.

The same people that wore the "I'd be with Russia before I'd be with her" shirts.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:53 AM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
At first I thought this is such a stupid idea but then after some looking into it, it makes a lot of sense to try to work out a deal for Greenland. I doesn't need to be a European colony...So it seems at least worth exploring something like we did with Alaska. I'm sure the locals could find a reason or 2 why they would like it. Alaskans get all kinds of subsidies.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:08 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
At first I thought this is such a stupid idea but then after some looking into it, it makes a lot of sense to try to work out a deal for Greenland. I doesn't need to be a European colony...So it seems at least worth exploring something like we did with Alaska. I'm sure the locals could find a reason or 2 why they would like it. Alaskans get all kinds of subsidies.
What if Russia decided that it wanted to buy the states? There would be all sorts of subsidies and it wouldn't need to be an Americas colony anymore. Maybe that is also worth exploring.

If that is considered "absurd," then the states is "disrespecting" Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies