Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2019, 10:53 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,498,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Do you disagree that the system in place now is highly regulated by the state at every level?
All of healthcare is regulated by the state starting with the AMA. I should be able to get a doctor regradless of country of origin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2019, 11:05 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
My argument is we dont have a free market in health care, we have state regulated crony system that is tightly regulated. Do you disagree?
Free market does not work for healthcare by definition.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:10 PM

8,156 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Yes we do, and yes we are. Our allies don't have to lift a finger if they get into trouble.

I'm not saying I agree with it, at all. If we removed our presence from other countries our military budget would go way down. But it's complicated; we can't just pack up and leave.

Even the military budget at nearly 700B, that's still nothing compared to the cost of M4A.
The total expense is much more than 700B.

No we are not. The reason it is "complicated" is because we made it so. Do read Eisenhower's speech, it might help.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:27 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,672,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The total expense is much more than 700B.

No we are not. The reason it is "complicated" is because we made it so. Do read Eisenhower's speech, it might help.
Source?

You could triple the military budget and it still wouldn’t be nearly enough for M4A.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:02 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Define "fair share."
It's rather quite simple. At what point is a person's taxes a true burden? Do you think a billionaire is going without when they still have billions after taxes, compared to a poorer person choosing between rent and food?

Last edited by Natnasci; 09-01-2019 at 02:14 AM..

Old 09-01-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Sorry Vancouver, I live in a high end house, in a desirable neighborhood in the nicest part of my city.

I never in a million years would live in Canada.

Stop with the Canadian elitism, it's a joke.
Canadian elitism? I was simply responding to your post which was suggesting your American elitism.

Old 09-01-2019, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Curious Nat, a couple questions:

1. What are/were your specific issues with the ACA?

2. How would you improve on it to make it a better system?

Specific policy improvements please, along with specific quotes from the HC legislation itself when picking it apart.

Thanks mate.
Hey Spuzzy! Good to hear from you.

I would scrap it. I would do WHAT TRUMP PROMISED

I would make distinct US " health districts" to a manageable level. I would have a federally mandated level of health service and care" and give these health districts some autonomy to tailor make their regions.

I would revaluate the cost of your military, are you REALLY getting good value for your dollar, or are you just subsidizing special interests that disguise themselves as " freedom fighters ".

It would have to be a health care revolution, but hey, you guys LOVE revolutions. So go for it.

I realize the struggle and reality are going to be very difficult, but from what I hear from Americans, is that you've given up. The country too big, the politicians don't listen and/or bought, the insurance companies have too much control....so........revolt. Get on the darn streets and demand better. Look at the French, Look at Hong Kong...then the US..whine, whine, whine, whine.

Old 09-01-2019, 05:57 AM

1,705 posts, read 538,736 times
Medicare 4 all cuts out the INSURANCE companies.

The government, pays for the procedure. The government, with science and economics, figures out what procedures actually costs in time and resources. Then they pay a Doctor or hospital when they get a bill from them, listing up what procedures are done.
You job is to chose your doctor or hospital. If your doctor or hospital moves to another city or state, you chose another.. or if you are really happy with them, travel there for your visits.

I really dont understand how Right-wingers are so enamored by their insurance companies.

30+ other 1st world countries each have a version of Medicare for all.. with 600+ million inhabitants.
And they get equal or better care then Americans.
For half the cost.

We dont have to care if our next employer offers healthcare insurance... I can swap jobs how much I want without even giving a thought if my children might not get the help they need.
I can start a business, and not be afraid of something happening to my family while I try to get that business up and running.
I can just get on with living.. instead of worrying if my employer has changed insurance company that year, that suddenly excludes illnesses my family members might have.

You must really really love your insurance companies, that just work as a middle man and takes a cut while trying to deny as many claims they possibly can.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:11 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post

The government, pays for the procedure. The government, with science and economics, figures out what procedures actually costs in time and resources. Then they pay a Doctor or hospital when they get a bill from them, listing up what procedures are done.
You job is to chose your doctor or hospital. If your doctor or hospital moves to another city or state, you chose another.. or if you are really happy with them, travel there for your visits.
I really dont understand how Right-wingers are so enamored by their insurance companies.

30+ other 1st world countries each have a version of Medicare for all.. with 600+ million inhabitants.
For half the cost.

We dont have to care if our next employer offers healthcare insurance... I can swap jobs how much I want without even giving a thought if my children might not get the help they need.
I can start a business, and not be afraid of something happening to my family while I try to get that business up and running.
I can just get on with living.. instead of worrying if my employer has changed insurance company that year, that suddenly excludes illnesses my family members might have.

You must really really love your insurance companies, that just work as a middle man and takes a cut while trying to deny as many claims they possibly can.

Unless the medicare for all plan drastically changes our current Medicare system where only 80 percent of the bill is paid, you will still continue to need an insurance company to cover the remaining 20 percent via a Medicare supplement or use of a Medicare advantage plan.
The premise about workplace portability, being able to start your own company were sold as selling points for ACA/Obamacare. Why did that fail to deliver those promises?

Old 09-01-2019, 06:15 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman83 View Post

For half the cost.

Yes but no one is still weighing in the factor that healthcare facilities will lose a lot of money due to reimbursement from Medicare for All. So facilities will close or raise patient care cost. Then add in deconstruction of insurance companies and the economic impact of those individuals losing work. Add in raised taxes and it's effect with economic spending.

Definitely we need change to healthcare.

Public option that eventually will replace private insurance or decrease popularity seems a better choice.

Utilize national sales tax and out of pocket expenses to fund public option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies