Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 11:56 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,096,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I guess this a thread to somehow convince people that an AR-15 is a necessity to women, it is evidently the favorite weapon of mass shooters and that is a fact.

And you think that if you could magically make every AR-15 on the planet disappear....

That people who want to commit mass shootings wouldn't find a different weapon to use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 12:01 PM

1,768 posts, read 568,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
What about the value of lives saved by someone legally having a gun? Most aren't reported as the perps run at the sight of one. Best outcome.

I accept the human cost, which is statistically very, very small to keep a free society.
What about it?

Who cares? I don't care what anyone's reasons are for being pro gun.

People will die because of guns. Period. I'm glad you at least are willing to say - there is a cost to gun ownership and you're okay with that.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You asked for my honesty and I gave it.

We don't trust the other side.
How does "we don't trust the other side" = "I'm okay with people dying if it means I get to keep my guns?"

Old 09-04-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The bold is a bald faced lie based on the rest of your post. Especially the ad hominem "toddlers shot in the face" BS. People will die every day whether you respect anyone or not.
But toddlers will be shot.

Like I said, I'm pro choice. I also believe that a fetus is a life. I think a third trimester fetus is a baby. I accept that being pro choice means that babies will die. I'd rather have millions of babies die than abortion be illegal.

I just think these arguments go around and around because none of us are willing to say "this principle is more important that individual human life".

Old 09-04-2019, 12:07 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
What about it?

Who cares? I don't care what anyone's reasons are for being pro gun.

People will die because of guns. Period. I'm glad you at least are willing to say - there is a cost to gun ownership and you're okay with that.
Yet but why is it only guns? Guns save lives, yet you keep ignoring that. Criminals will always have guns, yet you keep ignoring that. There is no logic for disarming the law abiding.

There is a cost to driving cars and trucks, swimming pools, bath tubs, risky jobs, flying, etc. and I am ok with that too.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:08 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Quote:
How does "we don't trust the other side" = "I'm okay with people dying if it means I get to keep my guns?"
I want to keep a free society, not a police state, so I am ok with SOME risk to do that. Small risk at that.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:09 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
And you think that if you could magically make every AR-15 on the planet disappear....

That people who want to commit mass shootings wouldn't find a different weapon to use?
I sincerely doubt they would disappear but we need to start somewhere and stop this absolute madness. Over time it would improve but no I don't see them disappearing.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:18 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, that depends.

I am dropping rounds, consistently, into the paper man's chest at 100 yards standing with my -15. If someone wants to do me harm, I want him far away from me to begin with.
Eh, the range of a rifle and the concept of self/home defense are a bit at odds.

A good shotgun is what you want at home. Just barricaded at a chokepoint.

And there are very few regulations related to shotguns.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:31 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,050 times
Quote:
But toddlers will be shot.

Like I said, I'm pro choice. I also believe that a fetus is a life. I think a third trimester fetus is a baby. I accept that being pro choice means that babies will die. I'd rather have millions of babies die than abortion be illegal.

I just think these arguments go around and around because none of us are willing to say "this principle is more important that individual human life".
Who's not willing to say it? Of course it is worth the price and the risk. The arguments go round and round because people who don't like guns want to take them from people who have the right to possess them.

Old 09-04-2019, 12:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:

You wanted my honesty and I gave it.

Past that, don't put words in my mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies