Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 10:27 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I shot one (a "real" one) for a living for a little over a year. I don't think it is the best choice for home defense. It seems best suited for what it was intended - shooting a whole lot of lead into the bush at an unseen enemy. Or mowing down shoppers at Walmart I guess. I don't own one. I keep a shotgun by the bed. First shell snake shot, next shell buckshot.
Guns don't illustrate mens rea.

Step away from the crack pipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
I prefer the Mannlicher myself.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Source?
In my experience, though this was years ago, most women were more comfortable having a universal gun (using the same on the street as in the home) so as I noted before the AR probably isn't the most popular.

If I had to guess, as I already noted, I would say various Glocks are the top choices for women due to this theory (43 or 19?).

Comfort is key even though, as I also noted, and you can't go wrong with a shotgun (preferably the 12 gauge for more stopping power though the 20 is easier to handle for many women) when it comes to home defense.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I prefer the Mannlicher myself.
M95?

I admittedly don't know as much about guns as I used to due to my career path changing course. You have to be vigilant in your studies. I'm not at Team Blue level which is "Bang bang is bad bad" but I'm definitely not fully in the loop like I used to be years ago.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
.......Comfort is key even though, as I also noted, and you can't go wrong with a shotgun (preferably the 12 gauge for more stopping power though the 20 is easier to handle for many women) when it comes to home defense.

One problem with a shotgun is that it is not easy to practice with. My range doesn't allow them unless you are using slugs. I have a few in inventory but I haven't fire one since the service while the rifles I have. They are a lot easier to practice with.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:47 AM

6,913 posts, read 3,382,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it doesn't depend. The AR-15 is not women's chosen gun for self defense for the obvious reason that it is impossible to conceal. They prefer something that fits in the purse, and are easy to use in a panic situation, like hammerless revolvers.
You are projecting, maybe that is your choice.

Also hammerless revolvers are not a good choice for many women, because very limited ammo and stiff trigger. A Semiauto carries more rounds and has an easier trigger to pull and much easier to reload.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
M95?

I admittedly don't know as much about guns as I used to due to my career path changing course. You have to be vigilant in your studies. I'm not at Team Blue level which is "Bang bang is bad bad" but I'm definitely not fully in the loop like I used to be years ago.
Yes.

Also, I want to change my answer. I didn't see 'favorite choice of GUN', I thought we were talking about rifles, alone.

My actual fav is the Walther P99. But for rifles - well, admittedly, the Uzi is a whole lot of fun to shoot, but I really like the Mannlicher. When I stayed in TX with my bro for a year, I met some enthusiasts. One older gentleman had a Mannlicher. We were at his property, and he let us try out all kinds of his weapons. I fell in love with the Mannlicher that day.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One problem with a shotgun is that it is not easy to practice with. My range doesn't allow them unless you are using slugs. I have a few in inventory but I haven't fire one since the service while the rifles I have. They are a lot easier to practice with.
That sucks.

Indoor ranges obviously don't want them. You'll just have to hunt more.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:58 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
You are projecting, maybe that is your choice.

Also hammerless revolvers are not a good choice for many women, because very limited ammo and stiff trigger. A Semiauto carries more rounds and has an easier trigger to pull and much easier to reload.
I don't think anyone carries an AR-15 around for self defense, but they are used for home defense as there is no reason to conceal in your home. Many women at my gun club carry a small semi auto for concealed carry. Some do carry a five shot revolver like a S&W 642, but you're right. Stiff, long trigger pull.

Old 09-04-2019, 11:02 AM

No Recess, I found a video for you about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUyP1sIwqxA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies