Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 08:37 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Outside the home, Ill concur.

Inside?

Can't go wrong with a 12 gauge. Spray til your out of ammo.
Spot on. And if you want to look like a bad ass when visitors come over, you can get a tactical shotgun with plastic crap stuck on it to make it look like a military grade weapon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Source?
No source. This thread is just another gun thread where people proudly toss out what ammunition and guns they possess.

It is not political or controversial, so not sure why it is in P&C.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Spot on. And if you want to look like a bad ass when visitors come over, you can get a tactical shotgun with plastic crap stuck on it to make it look like a military grade weapon.
Right, and if you want to look like a true badass of a red blooded gun toting 'Murican, even when you're stuck in traffic, you can get one of these awesome, badass window decals for your ride:

Old 09-04-2019, 08:54 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Best weapon is the one that you can use with confidence to meet the threat.
And guns arent called the "great equalizer" for nuthin.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:13 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
There is a reason the AR15 is the most popular rifle in America. It's not changing any time soon either.

If you've never shot one you should. Take a class if you are nervous.

The more you know the less you are afraid of

I love this video. Watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc

Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Is there an article that backs the claim?

I too would have thought it would be a handgun that fits nicely into a purse.
It is a good gun to defend from a home invasion. Obviously, not for carry. lol. People concerned with defense might have a carry handgun, a home handgun and a rifle and/or shotgun. AR15 is easy for many people to handle. Shotguns can be tough.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:37 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
There is a reason the AR15 is the most popular rifle in America. It's not changing any time soon either.

If you've never shot one you should. Take a class if you are nervous.

The more you know the less you are afraid of

I love this video. Watch to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W-eSxR5gIc
I shot one (a "real" one) for a living for a little over a year. I don't think it is the best choice for home defense. It seems best suited for what it was intended - shooting a whole lot of lead into the bush at an unseen enemy. Or mowing down shoppers at Walmart I guess. I don't own one. I keep a shotgun by the bed. First shell snake shot, next shell buckshot.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:05 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
I shot one (a "real" one) for a living for a little over a year. I don't think it is the best choice for home defense. It seems best suited for what it was intended - shooting a whole lot of lead into the bush at an unseen enemy. Or mowing down shoppers at Walmart I guess. I don't own one. I keep a shotgun by the bed. First shell snake shot, next shell buckshot.
To each their own.

I, too, have used the -16 in the service, the -14 as well but that's a different subject.

Me, I am using them to engage, in scenario, at 100 yards. Rapid target lock over post sights and engage, reacquire and engage, etc..

Spray? That's not in my training.....ever.

The -15 works very well for one pull, one shot.......one hit.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
I said the 12 gauge is best for home defense because you can spray until you're out. I recommended it to women when I did home security years ago and there's nothing I can think of to change this fact. Sure, maneuverability in tight spaces that home design present are a concern but unknown number of perps, fear reducing accuracy, and stopping power far outweigh that hindering factor.

You see, home defense means the perp is already in my house (reading comprehension is key). That means you only give the cops a courtesy call to come pick up the corpse. Tag 'em and bag 'em. It's what we pay taxes for.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
To each their own.

I, too, have used the -16 in the service, the -14 as well but that's a different subject.

Me, I am using them to engage, in scenario, at 100 yards. Rapid target lock over post sights and engage, reacquire and engage, etc..

Spray? That's not in my training.....ever.

The -15 works very well for one pull, one shot.......one hit.
Yes, everyone's defense needs and wants are different. Use what you want, and are comfortable with. My primary is a 9MM pistol with 17 rounds, and the back up is an M1 Carbine. I'd use my AR, but don't want the muzzle blast and noise inside. Hopefully, I will never have to use any in self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies