Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 06:12 AM

5,735 posts, read 3,254,101 times

Advertisements

I tip at restaurants and that is it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
The cheapskates who don't want to tip make me embarrassed as an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2019, 10:42 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
I've heard in states where servers make a higher minimum wage, like Washington and Oregon, some people tip less, like 10% vs 20%.

And despite what some servers claim, I don't think that a to-go order warrants a 20% tip the way a sit down meal does. Boxing up a meal is far less work than coming back to the table over and over to check on you, refilling your drinks, taking your order, etc.

I'll tip over 20% if the meal is cheap, I never tip less than $4. TWo people can go to Waffle House and spent $10, 20% would only be 2 dollars.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:08 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I avoid tipping by avoiding restaurants.

Seriously, who wants to eat out these days, with the crappy food + crappy service, and then be expected to tip 20-25% on top of that?

Time to take the bull by the horns and "opt out" by cooking at home. I pray for the day when everyone else gets smart and boycotts restaurants en masse.
Hey, I like IHOP and Denny's and their service from my experience has been decent to really good.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:14 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
As Americans, we are expected to learn some of the customs and courtesies of the countries we visit. Is it too much to ask that they do the same? We tip here in America, for the most part that is a good thing if it keeps the cost of my meal down and allows me to reward the service accordingly. I do agree that tipping has gotten out of hand--the tip jar at the counter of every coffee shop, deli, ice cream parlor, etc., is ridiculous.

Old 09-16-2019, 01:25 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Hey, I like IHOP and Denny's and their service from my experience has been decent to really good.
I'd tip at cheap places like that but usually when I eat out it's at a real restaurant. The cheapest you can get away with is about $40-$50 for two so the tip adds a lot to the bill. You'd think a real restaurant would pay its workers decent wages. I don't see why I have to leave a $15 tip just because the prices are higher.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:25 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
A restaurant is free to add a mandatory fee if they wish. Some restaurants automatically include a gratuity for parties of 5 or more. If so, they usually include this information on the menu. Since it is such a common practice, I'm always surprised when I'm with a large party and we AREN'T automatically charged a gratuity.

(Regarding automatic gratuities added to larger parties--if you think the service was not up to standard, you should absolutely talk to the restaurant about getting it reduced. They are going to be much more amenable to you explaining about the late food, or the wrong order, or failure to refill drinks than if you simply refusing to pay. Asking for it to be reduced will often work, because most restaurants want happy repeat customers more than they want a few dollars in tip.)

However, I've never been to a restaurant that automatically includes a gratuity for parties of fewer than 5.
my suggestion is to leave this site and got o Trip advisor or google it. People write their individual experiences with that

Last edited by dsjj251; 09-16-2019 at 10:48 PM..

Old 09-17-2019, 10:11 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,096,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
my suggestion is to leave this site and got o Trip advisor or google it. People write their individual experiences with that
I have Googled it, and every case that I've read about so far (half a dozen) was about large parties.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:41 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,524,639 times
Good episode of Freakonomics radio out today on this topic. Ep 396 "Why does tipping still exist".

In a nutshell, the vast majority of people will not tip if it were not for social pressure or compulsion, and, tipping is not correlated to quality of service.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:25 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,383,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Tipping is great for both the consumer and hard working servers.

Tipping doesn't work out to well for crappy servers who feel entitled to tips.
Yep. Anyone who has done any international traveling knows that tipping guarantees mostly good service. People working as servers in countries where tipping is uncommon typically provide much worse service. The anti-tipping movement is simply about laziness.

Old 11-07-2019, 03:59 AM

1,877 posts, read 678,211 times
What is this 'much worse service' you talk about? I love in a country where tipping is not the usual custom, and here waiters take your order, they bring the food to the table when it is ready and then they take payment for the meal at the end, that's all I want them to do and that's what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies