Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Whoever taught you to spell should definitely be "payed" less.
My mistake, it was late and I wasn't particularly concerned about correct spelling just getting my message out there.

Anyway, do you have a counterargument to my original post? I'm under the impression that your nitpicking isn't meant to be in good faith, but maybe I am just dumb, in which case that would actually strengthen my argument against public shools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 12:54 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Well, maybe they should have not voted for the politicians who promised them the huge pensions. The major cities' school districts are broke because of those.
Public K-12 teachers don't get huge pensions. Their annual salaries are too low to push them into the huge pension category. Police officers often get huge pensions, through manipulation of overtime, etc. on top of generous salaries. Some administrators in some school districts probably do get substantial pensions, but teachers? No, I haven't found any big numbers for teachers.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:06 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,306,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoCity View Post
Public schools are an assault against children, and teachers are some of the worst scum of society.
I didnt learn any useful life skills from school aside from some basic reading, writing, and math skills which I had already acquired by the end of 6th grade. The rest of those years were just busy work with no real life application.
Schools are simply government indoctrination centers, resembling prisons more than anything. Just look at what they feed kids, its almost indistinguishable from prison food. Tells you alot about how much these moralizing busybodies care about children when they feed them dangerously unhealty, processed slop.

Homework is clearly designed to disrupt family life by not only stealing precious bonding time, but also causing conflict between parents and their resentful children who just want to relax after 8hrs of mind numbing governement propaganda.

The system has 0 incentive to educate children. Teachers dont care about kids, and are essentially glorified daycare workers.
Just think about how we put children through 13 years of government education and they come out just as economically destitute, with no valuable skills, and no real understanding of important topics such as philosophy, history, and economics, as when they started.

Public schools are a joke, and no, teachers shouldn't be payed more, they should be payed less. At least that might incentivise them to care.
This is a pretty good rant against public schools with a lot of truth to it . +1

Old 09-23-2019, 05:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
I watched the Sunday morning program on CBS, and they had a segment that was about teachers that want higher pay, smaller classrooms, etc, but everytime there is a vote on it, most voters vote no because it will mean a raise in their taxes. Well, in this day and age where companies are making billions in revenue due to paid advertisement, why can't we let the public school systems do this? Would there be any harm if clothing brand, a store brand, electronics or car company pay to advertise in schools, or let them sponsor teachers so they can get their much needed raises without it being a burden on tax payers?
Get rid of the Dept of Education and give some of that saved money to teachers.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:03 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Public K-12 teachers don't get huge pensions. Their annual salaries are too low to push them into the huge pension category. Police officers often get huge pensions, through manipulation of overtime, etc. on top of generous salaries. Some administrators in some school districts probably do get substantial pensions, but teachers? No, I haven't found any big numbers for teachers.

Chicago Public School teachers get an average pension of over $4200 per month.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:11 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Highly dependent on what state you live in.

Most of the teachers in the Ohio district I grew up in are earning 65-75K. Hardly poverty. OTOH i understand OK and NC pay much less for example.

Old 09-23-2019, 05:52 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
Chicago Public School teachers get an average pension of over $4200 per month.
I wouldn't call $50,400 a huge pension. Twice that, maybe, but that is not for teachers.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:40 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Indeed.
Good for me and not for thee.
Teachers dont work in a free market.

Old 09-23-2019, 06:46 AM

17,410 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I wouldn't call $50,400 a huge pension. Twice that, maybe, but that is not for teachers.
Are you kidding me right now?

If you don't think $50K is a substantial pension ... I want to live in your world.

And just because I wanted to triple check my facts ... I actually low balled their pension.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/repor...icago-workers/

Quote:
The average pension for Chicago teachers is $47,700, which includes short-term workers and individuals who retired years ago at much lower compensation levels.

But the average pension for a career teacher in Chicago who recently retired is $71,700 – a full $24,000 more than the average for all teachers. It’s also more than double the maximum $31,700 Social Security benefit that private sector workers who reach full retirement age can receive.

To put that further into perspective, a recently retired career teacher makes more in retirement than the average Chicago household income ($71,020).
How much is your pension? I know what mine will be to the penny: $0

Last edited by Chuckity; 09-23-2019 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 06:54 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,918 times
Daycare gets paid better so why not teachers? Oh yeah administrators eat all the money and half the country thinks higher education is liberal doctine and wants people to be stupid so the younger population keeps voting Republican
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies