Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No. Yes. Starting salary for a teacher should be $60,000 AND they should be able to be fired.

Just like in any profession, there are good and bad teachers. Make the teaching degree more vigorous; pay them more; and have higher expectations. Non-performing teachers should be fired - just like in any other industry.
60k in every market? What other professions should make X outside of and regardless of market demand? Details, how did you calculate that number, or are you just parroting a know nothing politician?

Yes there are good and bad teachers, all working side by side in the socialized system of the state. How do we tell the good from the bad? When do the actual customers (parents) get a voice? Dont tell me its when they vote for the admin or the politicians of a given district. That works the same locally as it does on the national stage.
The govt's education system is run without for regard for the people funding them and often times its run at the behest of those who have no children in the system. How can it do that? Because people are forced to pay for it regardless of performance and to opt out makes it twice as expensive and results in sending a child to a school that still has to meet govt standards, which shouldn't be confused with excellence in education.
Someone told me up thread it was idiotic to suggest the privatization of education, does a system run like the local DMV sound intelligent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
LOL! You believe that? Who do you think pays for the campaigns for school superintendents? Who bribes school boards to buy their books, or outfit school teams in their clothes? We now finally have advertisement going on public transportation buses, to help keep them going. On the highways, there are visitor centers that are completely maintained by corporate charity. And, even then, schools often have charity balls to increase the budget for the school system, where the rich and corporations go to donate to make them feel good, and to uses as tax write offs, so it's already happening behind the scenes. Heck, the fencing around the schools in my town have no problem advertising where the fence came from and who put it up, why not let this be more of a player. Let advertisers on school buses, or let teachers be sponsored by corporations like we have with Olympic athletes?

Raising taxes on the people isn't going to work. Either it will be voted down, or people will just get up and leave to places where the taxes are cheaper. Private advertisement is the way to go. Just have guidelines, and maybe let that be voted on by the parents who are sending their kids to the schools so they can be the ones to decided if they want their kids to see the advertisement or not.
I was being facetious.

Public schools are an abomination. Funded by armed robbery, no accountability, no incentives, and horrendous results.

Abolish immediately.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
I am for teachers getting raises but it should be reflective of the cost of living, their experience, and the field that they are teaching. As far as how much, that is very debatable considering that taxpayers already pay a lot for many things!

Old 09-15-2019, 10:10 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I am for teachers getting raises but it should be reflective of the cost of living, their experience, and the field that they are teaching. As far as how much, that is very debatable considering that taxpayers already pay a lot for many things!
Salaries should be determined on the local level.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:13 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
60k in every market? What other professions should make X outside of and regardless of market demand? Details, how did you calculate that number, or are you just parroting a know nothing politician?

Yes there are good and bad teachers, all working side by side in the socialized system of the state. How do we tell the good from the bad? When do the actual customers (parents) get a voice? Dont tell me its when they vote for the admin or the politicians of a given district. That works the same locally as it does on the national stage.
The govt's education system is run without for regard for the people funding them and often times its run at the behest of those who have no children in the system. How can it do that? Because people are forced to pay for it regardless of performance and to opt out makes it twice as expensive and results in sending a child to a school that still has to meet govt standards, which shouldn't be confused with excellence in education.
Someone told me up thread it was idiotic to suggest the privatization of education, does a system run like the local DMV sound intelligent?
$60,000 is a common starting salary for many professions.

I got no problem with my local DMV - they are fantastic.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
you could pay teacher $200k a year and they would still want more money

Old 09-15-2019, 10:15 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
you could pay teacher $200k a year and they would still want more money
That's mostly true of everyone, but I get your point.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,907,499 times
Here in our area in order to get a teaching job, one must be politically connected. Other areas of the state, they are begging for teachers due to the working conditions similar to a war zone. Pay is virtually the same for both areas.
There are common issues in this profession:
A, Elementary Education is one of the easiest in higher education. Our daughter changed majors three times getting an easier course load each time until she finally settled on Elementary Education.
B, In every school district I have seen it is overburdened with Administration taking up valuable tax dollars that could be going for teachers salaries and their supplies.
C, In many cases the school board is elected by the voters so you have pretty much clueless folks who tend to give out administrative jobs as a reward for support or stuff their family members in.
D, Because these school board members are elected, they tend to not support the teachers but those voters that complain.
E, Because of the bloated administration, they tend to micromanage the teachers making their jobs intolerable.
F, Need I say, lack of discipline in many of our schools.
What is the answer, not really sure. A general raise to all the teachers no matter what the location or circumstances is not the answer.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:25 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
Most people are under the impression that when your kids are at home the teachers are not working. When I taught I didn't get three months off in the summer. My Christmas break began as soon I graded finals and finish assessment reports and next semester lesson plans. I spent every weekend grading papers and attending the obligatory school events.

I like to think I was a good teacher, kids liked me, the college president liked me, I loved the teaching, but I still quit after one year. If they would have doubled my pay I would have still quit. If I would have stayed I would be making three times what I made and would be Dean of something. I also would be overweight, sick and have no family or personal life outside of my job.

IMO Money is not the problem its just an archaic system that has not fundamentally changed since its inception.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:31 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
unions need to stop conscripting teacher pay.

stop the pay to play unions sue to fund democrat campaigns

give teachers the credit the unions deprive them of. they equate teacher skills to time on the job and not merit, thus cheating performing teachers and rewarding poorly performing teachers.

dump tenure as it is not compatible with merit evaluation

cull out disruptive students

end rubber rooms

deplete the ranks of school administrators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies