Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 04:33 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I like the smoother sloops of NH, less hardcore, more affordable.

Also Colorado is very elitist, most of the ski spots in NH are filled with down to earth locals.

God I love small town America; they're better than small towns in Europe, South America, or East Asia.
Sloops? Didn’t know you were into sailing.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:55 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Sloops? Didn’t know you were into sailing.
God I'm not functioning today.

Slopes.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
Haha OP, I bet you are too young to know where the 'bomb bomb Iran' reference came from. I'm pretty sure it was from Steve Dahl, a Chicago radio shock jock who was copied (poorly) by Howard Stern.

Dahl had morning shows on various Chicago stations in the 1980s. He was brilliant and popular but would usually wear out his welcome and get fired. He taught himself guitar and formed a band called 'teen age radiation.' One of their earliest songs was 'bomb bomb Iran' during the hostage crisis in 1979.

Here is a version from 1980 by 'Vince and the Valiants' w/ whom I was not familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8hEtI9AI0U
Interesting, but I imagine McCain really meant it as did his gushing fans.

Anyways after this 1980s song the US destroyed Iran's entire navy unprovoked, blew up an Iranian commercial airliner killing hundreds, and instigated a war that wiped out their western border.

But Americans have the gall to complain about the hostage crisis. If an eye for an eye was the rule America went overboard.

edit:Also they mispronounce Iran (E-ron) as Iran (I-ran) which is really dumb.

But America was less civilized back then and young Americans probably thought this was a cool song. To bad the media fed this anti-Iranian disinformation campaign rather than educating their clueless population.

Last edited by Winterfall8324; 09-21-2019 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-21-2019, 05:09 PM

6,061 posts, read 2,009,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Interesting, but I imagine McCain really meant it as did his gushing fans.

Anyways after this 1980s song the US destroyed Iran's entire navy unprovoked, blew up an Iranian commercial airliner killing hundreds, and instigated a war that wiped out their western border.

But Americans have the gall to complain about the hostage crisis. If an eye for an eye was the rule America went overboard.
As I'm guessing you would agree, the 'Iran problem' was one of the ticking foreign policy time bombs left behind by President Eisenhower. Having seen too much of war, Ike hated war and liked using the CIA to try to solve FP matters. He was close to CIA director Allen Dulles, who was brother of his Sec'y of State John Foster Dulles.

The duly elected Iranian president wanted to nationalize their oil industry, which had been developed by the Brits. The Brits asked Ike to get rid of that president, and he complied. Then came the corrupt Shah, and after that the reactionary Ayatollah.

I remember seeing photos of Iranian girls on the beach in bikinis in 'Life' magazine from the 1970s.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:27 PM

2,264 posts, read 971,551 times
Recreational war is the only growth industry in America any longer.

Old 09-21-2019, 06:19 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,622 times
Default Bomb bomb bomb, Iran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand your point, but Americans generally do not want to imagine themselves as anything other than wonderful - exceptionally wonderful.
I'm wonderful,
aren't you?

https://youtu.be/EqBrw3rQvKo

Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,416,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
I'm not sure I fully understand your point, but Americans generally do not want to imagine themselves as anything other than wonderful - exceptionally wonderful.

Most of us want that. But the way our government acts, wanting to go to war with everybody. We get looped in with those idiots. The world thinks we are all gun carrying war mongers. Couldnt be further from the truth.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:23 PM

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
what to do when "the world" has grow accustomed to us defending them and fighting their wars for them

Old 09-21-2019, 07:39 PM

5,790 posts, read 5,103,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Because we suck, just less than our competitors.

Two thirds of our politicians are pure idiots. Most are in bed with Some sort of big business. Half of the Black Caucus is in bed with the Racist Farrakhan. Our politicians suck, but our system and politicians as a whole are better than 75% of the world, and the 25% that may have better system or better politicians are so small or different it wouldn't work on a country our size.
No, the 10 members of the Chinese standing committee of the central politbureau all have some sort of engineering or other science based PhD degrees. They are a bunch of technocrats running a huge and developing country. They may be boring and bland, but they are far more competent than our politicians from both parties.

Old 09-21-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
No, the 10 members of the Chinese standing committee of the central politbureau all have some sort of engineering or other science based PhD degrees. They are a bunch of technocrats running a huge and developing country. They may be boring and bland, but they are far more competent than our politicians from both parties.
Chinese technocrats are overrated.

Meritocracy and Technocracy are very bad in my opinion.

In America their is a bipartisan elite consensus that directs the country's economic and social development. They call the shots; they come from IV league schools, staff our institutions.

But they too are overrated. People can never have power because they value well being over utilitarian 'efficiency'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies