Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 09:24 AM

14,024 posts, read 5,668,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I was hoping for more with Biden. I thought at first he stood a chance, but he's done for, he just doesn't know it yet. The guy is a gaff machine buffoon, not to mention that he's starting to say stupid far left stuff now, I thought he would ride that moderate lane but he's trying to compete for who can say the dumbest far left stuff now.
He and Warren are the only top 5 that had any centrist, plausible planks, but have gone off the rails lurching as hard left as they have.
Quote:
Klobuchar doesn't have a chance, but she seemed pretty ok. I think Gabbard is good on her foreign policy, but she's a bit too far left still, and she's got no chance either.
Agree totally on Klobuchar, and Gabbard's "strength" foreign policy got shredded by Harris because Gabbard cannot escape the Assad problem. Harris is the wrecking ball on her own party and is feeding artillery to the RNC to destroy whoever is left when all the smoke clears. At this point, the only campaign she hasn't put a gazillion bullet holes into is Bernie's. Every debate, she sprays the stage with bullets and bombs, and so far, Bernie's armor seems most impervious.

Feels like it's coming down to Get Off My Lawn and Fauxcahontas, either of whom present way too easy a counterpunching target for BadOrangeMan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 09:33 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,395,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
You put your finger on the reason Michael Moore predicted Trump would win in 2016 and would win today.
The Democrats started with a field of 24 and now down to about 10 or so. Normal People don’t like any of them much. Not only that ... but the Media has a favorite, the Far Left has a favorite, TeamObama has a favorite ... and none of those “favorites” match up.

Not a single one of them has anything positive to say about the USA.
They all try to outdo each other with Crazy schemes of FREE FREE FREE.
Certainly not true of all of them. Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar are very good centrist candidates. You 'Pubs are certainly cocky to complain about the Dems, when Trump is such an ignoramus.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:44 AM

14,024 posts, read 5,668,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Certainly not true of all of them. Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar are very good centrist candidates. You 'Pubs are certainly cocky to complain about the Dems, when Trump is such an ignoramus.
Neither Buttigieg nor Klobuchar will make it into the final 3. They won't even come close.

Mayor Pete has a hometown "fix your own backyard" problem that is a glaring weakness, along with a central issue that plays poorly among the religious African American vote that the DNC counts on. And his polling average has him in the mid-single digits in distant 4th place.

Klobuchar is so far back in the pack, she could stand on the stage and channel James Madison for an hour and nobody would pay her any attention. She generates no energy, and at the end of the day, this is first and foremost a popularity contest. She's polling at HALF of Beto's anemic numbers (1.6% in current RCP average). Seriously? She can't do better than half of what the wee Bobby Francis is getting?

Both will be gone after the 3rd-4th primary. Bet it.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:50 AM

52,386 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
He and Warren are the only top 5 that had any centrist, plausible planks, but have gone off the rails lurching as hard left as they have.

Agree totally on Klobuchar, and Gabbard's "strength" foreign policy got shredded by Harris because Gabbard cannot escape the Assad problem. Harris is the wrecking ball on her own party and is feeding artillery to the RNC to destroy whoever is left when all the smoke clears. At this point, the only campaign she hasn't put a gazillion bullet holes into is Bernie's. Every debate, she sprays the stage with bullets and bombs, and so far, Bernie's armor seems most impervious.

Feels like it's coming down to Get Off My Lawn and Fauxcahontas, either of whom present way too easy a counterpunching target for BadOrangeMan.
I think Trump would brutalize Warren. LOL, I mean he'll just mock her to death on the faux Indian bit. He'll talk about how she gamed the system to her advantage. That won't ever go away in trumps mind, and in a lot of the American voters as well. She has a unlikability to her similar to HRC and she comes of like schoolmarm.

People are sick to death of the elites taking advantage of their wealth and gaming the system. Heck just look at the college entry scandal as an example of people being pissed off about that sort of thing.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I think Trump would brutalize Warren. LOL, I mean he'll just mock her to death on the faux Indian bit. He'll talk about how she gamed the system to her advantage. That won't ever go away in trumps mind, and in a lot of the American voters as well. She has a unlikability to her similar to HRC and she comes of like schoolmarm.

People are sick to death of the elites taking advantage of their wealth and gaming the system. Heck just look at the college entry scandal as an example of people being pissed off about that sort of thing.
This thing about the "elites" cracks me up. You people!!! If anyone is a part of the Elite, it is Donald Trump and the Republicans in the Senate. Give me a break!!!!

Don't you realize Trump is taking constant advantage of the American public with having the USA pick up the tab at his resorts and hotels with our tax dollars. Millions of $$'s going to pay for flight crews, who stay at his resorts in Ireland and elsewhere. The Secret Service has to stay at his resorts also when he is there. Mar-a-Lago costs us poor NOT Elites a fortune.

Wake up and smell the roses. You are being fooled by this creep.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:24 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,791,816 times
As long as fake Indian-Warren promotes Medicare For ALL, very few smart voters are going to vote for her

In a sign of how broadly the issue is being scrutinized, “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert confronted Warren directly about taxes and Medicare for All last week, effectively calling her out for dodging on the issue.

“How are you going to pay for it?” Colbert asked. “Are you going to be raising the middle-class taxes?"

Warren responded by saying that “costs are going to go up for the wealthiest Americans, for big corporations ... and hard-working middle class families are going to see their costs going down.”

“But will their taxes go up?” Colbert asked again.

“But here’s the thing,” Warren responded.

Colbert interrupted her...

“But here’s the thing,” he said. "I've listened to these answers a few times before and I just want to make a parallel suggestion to you that you might defend the taxes perhaps that you’re not mentioning in your sentence."

Warren has sidestepped the tax issue in interviews but has said that corporations and the wealthy will pay for the costs of Medicare for All. She’s also emphasized that the nation will see lower health care costs as a result of the plan.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...d-higher-taxes

Old 09-23-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It's not as simple as that. A lot of these people just value their way of life and country more than they even value their personal economy......
You believe that?? LOLOLOL. These farmers want money to support themselves and their families and to keep the family farm.. Trump is taking away their way of life. If they vote him in again, they deserve what they get.

I don’t think any Trump supporter cares about our country. All they care about is being thought of as being special. They believe Trump’s hogwash, even though he is stealing the country blind. Now he’s trying to get us into war. He’s a bully and a fool. The people who support him just want a bully to take care of their sagging egos!

Trump has played his base for fools. Here he is, a supposed billionaire, acting like he “feels their pain.” What a joke. The smart people in this country know all Trump cares about is himself and sucking money out of the US Treasury for his bank account.

Old 09-23-2019, 10:40 AM

52,386 posts, read 52,853,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
This thing about the "elites" cracks me up. You people!!! If anyone is a part of the Elite, it is Donald Trump and the Republicans in the Senate. Give me a break!!!!

Don't you realize Trump is taking constant advantage of the American public with having the USA pick up the tab at his resorts and hotels with our tax dollars. Millions of $$'s going to pay for flight crews, who stay at his resorts in Ireland and elsewhere. The Secret Service has to stay at his resorts also when he is there. Mar-a-Lago costs us poor NOT Elites a fortune.

Wake up and smell the roses. You are being fooled by this creep.
Where in my posts did I say I was a trump lover? He's a billionaire elite, I get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
As long as fake Indian-Warren promotes Medicare For ALL, very few smart voters are going to vote for her

In a sign of how broadly the issue is being scrutinized, “Late Show” host Stephen Colbert confronted Warren directly about taxes and Medicare for All last week, effectively calling her out for dodging on the issue.

“How are you going to pay for it?” Colbert asked. “Are you going to be raising the middle-class taxes?"

Warren responded by saying that “costs are going to go up for the wealthiest Americans, for big corporations ... and hard-working middle class families are going to see their costs going down.”

“But will their taxes go up?” Colbert asked again.

“But here’s the thing,” Warren responded.

Colbert interrupted her...

“But here’s the thing,” he said. "I've listened to these answers a few times before and I just want to make a parallel suggestion to you that you might defend the taxes perhaps that you’re not mentioning in your sentence."

Warren has sidestepped the tax issue in interviews but has said that corporations and the wealthy will pay for the costs of Medicare for All. She’s also emphasized that the nation will see lower health care costs as a result of the plan.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...d-higher-taxes
Yeah, I heard that soundbite of Colbert, sort of surprised a lefty was challenging another lefty. LOL.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Neither Buttigieg nor Klobuchar will make it into the final 3. They won't even come close.

Mayor Pete has a hometown "fix your own backyard" problem that is a glaring weakness, along with a central issue that plays poorly among the religious African American vote that the DNC counts on. And his polling average has him in the mid-single digits in distant 4th place.

Klobuchar is so far back in the pack, she could stand on the stage and channel James Madison for an hour and nobody would pay her any attention. She generates no energy, and at the end of the day, this is first and foremost a popularity contest. She's polling at HALF of Beto's anemic numbers (1.6% in current RCP average). Seriously? She can't do better than half of what the wee Bobby Francis is getting?

Both will be gone after the 3rd-4th primary. Bet it.
Mayor Pete is 9% in the latest Iowa poll. His campaign has gobs of money and an awesome fund raising team. I heard yesterday that he can last a long time because of this.

Pete is 4th in line behind Warren, Biden and Sanders. I don’t think any of those 3 will win the Iowa primary, with the possible of Biden. Sanders will be gone before long. There are huge numbers of young people who may very well want a different generation of leadership. Pete and his team are smart enough to fix the black voter issue, with more time, which we have...

Personally, I want a sane leader, someone who truly cares about our country. That person is not Trump.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:38 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,488,323 times
Quote:
The thing that doesn't make sense to me is that the Dems are pushing a far left agenda that I don't think most voters are for.
Not really a 'far left' agenda, and if you want to know what Democrats are 'pushing', read the party Platform.

The party is large and diverse, and not all ideas promoted by people who identify with the party or lean toward it will make it to the big time (although they will usually make it on the news). The last several party platforms are online and you can search for them pretty easily, they speak for themselves.

Also, after the next Democratic convention there will be the latest Party Platform, a contemporary release, and you will be able to study that as well.
Quote:
I can't imagine too many Americans that are struggling to make ends meet would be ok with giving people here illegally free medical coverage.
I don't know what it's like in your state, but in Illinois people get treated in emergency rooms when they collapse even without being able to pay for it. They will try to save the victim, even if they can not verify the person's insurance or cash in the bank, when a life is at stake. Many of America's underclass neglect to treat complaints because they can not afford the costs of a routine medical exam or simple medications (that is a fact), then when it's almost too late they wind up in an expensive ambulance ride and an ER experience (some times they are so far gone they die anyway). That becomes a cost shared by everyone eventually. Far cheaper (and more humane) to provide some type of basic preventive care.

Quote:
I can't imagine that people are ok with decriminalizing illegal entry into the country.
I don't know who is promoting that. Crossing the border without permission is a misdemeanor only since 1929 and that presently seems appropriate. Before 1929 it was not a crime. We can still see the legacy of that fluid border: Many Canadians, especially in the western provinces, are descended from Americans who crossed that border generations ago. There are also many US citizens today in the upper Midwest and New England who know they are of French Canadian descent.

Portuguese in places like California and New England. Italians in New York and New Jersey, Poles in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Illinois. Norwegians in Illinois and Minnesota.

Our border was fluid for 150 years, but now it's a misdemeanor to cross without pre-arranging through the State Department. Most Democrats wouldn't change that today. The publicity about the idea of 'open borders' is intended to scare people.

Quote:
Shouldn't the parties be catering to the needs and wants of the average person, jobs, healthcare, infrastructure, education. Those basic barebones "kitchen table" conversations.
Again, read the Democratic Party platforms. The party is an open book.

You could also read the legislation of the 116th United States Congress.

Last edited by Hesychios; 09-23-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies