Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 06:22 AM

989 posts, read 456,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It was done by a political opponent ...

So, as long as you ask another country to do research, and pay them....it's all good, as long as you are doing research, on your opponent?
Actually, the background investigation was started by a republican who didn't like Trump (yes, another political opponent). He contracted with a U.S. company (Fusion GPS) to do the investigation because that's what they do. When Trump got the nomination he dropped it. Dem Election Committee picked it up. The private company made inquiries to multiple sources and one of them happened to be an ex-MI6 officer (UK citizen) who had a good relationship with U.S. national security. Hillary Clinton did not contact the UK spy service or a prominent UK politician to get information on Trump. She also had no power to coerce a foreign leader to find dirt. There is a difference here I'm surprised you cannot see.

As a political rival, Trump'd reelection committe has every right to contact a private company, using campaign funds to find information on his opponents. If those private organizations use various sources (possibly from Ukraine) to do that, that seems within the bounds of opposition research. He should not use the power of his office, leader-to-leader, especially when that other country depends on us for military support/defense, to get is political opposition research.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:28 AM

5,067 posts, read 1,666,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Congress, do your job.

Republicans, that means you too.

Yes, hopefully the republicans do their job and block this stupid impeachment process just because the Democrats do not like the President and have been talking impeachment under no grounds since day 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The research was originally funded by the RNC, who dropped the project when Trump was nominated.

I think it started with McCain not the RNC. Either way it is immaterial as it was the DNC that ultimately used it to do the same thing that the Democrats want to impeach the President over ohhhh..the hypocrisy. we all have a transcript of the call and know this is another left wing lie simply because they do not like the President and are still trying to get vindication for HRC.

Last edited by tipsyguam; 10-13-2019 at 06:37 AM..

Old 10-13-2019, 06:29 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Surprise, surprise: Sondland now is reported to maintain he only texted to Bill Taylor what Trump told him to say in a brief phone call about a quid pro quo.

"Sondland plans to tell lawmakers he has no knowledge of whether the president was telling him the truth at that moment. “It’s only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth,” said the person familiar with Sondland’s planned testimony, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive diplomatic matters."

He will discuss two possibilities: One, that Trump was lying when he said he didn't "want a quid pro quo ... didn't want anything [my emphasis] from Ukraine."

Two, Trump had changed his mind since some were already questioning the defense aid hold-up. “Whether he’s deciding it’s getting too hot to handle and he backs off whatever his position really was a month earlier, I don’t know,” the person said of Sondland’s understanding.

Sondland will say Giuliani instructed him to obtain a public statement to investigate corruption that included Burisma. Trump, in return, would grant a WH visit to Zelensky. Sondland is expected to say he did not realize the Burisma request was tied to Hunter Biden.

The intermediary reportedly has Sondland's permission to release this testimony preview. Sondland declined comment through his attorneys. The White House will not comment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...859_story.html

Time will tell, I suppose. Sondland's introductory statement if made public could be quite a read.

"It’s only true that the president said it, not that it was the truth,” said the person familiar with Sondland’s planned testimony.

Accurately sums up the last few years, I'd say.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:33 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Actually, the background investigation was started by a republican who didn't like Trump (yes, another political opponent). He contracted with a U.S. company (Fusion GPS) to do the investigation because that's what they do. When Trump got the nomination he dropped it. Dem Election Committee picked it up. The private company made inquiries to multiple sources and one of them happened to be an ex-MI6 officer (UK citizen) who had a good relationship with U.S. national security. Hillary Clinton did not contact the UK spy service or a prominent UK politician to get information on Trump. She also had no power to coerce a foreign leader to find dirt. There is a difference here I'm surprised you cannot see.

As a political rival, Trump'd reelection committe has every right to contact a private company, using campaign funds to find information on his opponents. If those private organizations use various sources (possibly from Ukraine) to do that, that seems within the bounds of opposition research. He should not use the power of his office, leader-to-leader, especially when that other country depends on us for military support/defense, to get is political opposition research.
Bingo.

Despite all the R/R gaslighting about the dossier, an American company was paid to do background research.

It was financed with campaign funds that were reported as the law requires.

Fusion GPS contracted with a British ex-spy to get information. He got in touch with contacts around the world, including Russia.

All of his is legal.

Holding back U.S. military aid authorized by Congress until Ukrainian officials manufacture false information on a political opponent is not legal.

In fact, may even be impeachable. We'll see.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:59 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
How stupid are these people?!

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/stat...85516625350656

Old 10-13-2019, 07:27 AM

37,202 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsyguam View Post
Yes, hopefully the republicans do their job and block this stupid impeachment process just because the Democrats do not like the President and have been talking impeachment under no grounds since day 1.

I think it started with McCain not the RNC. Either way it is immaterial as it was the DNC that ultimately used it to do the same thing that the Democrats want to impeach the President over ohhhh..the hypocrisy. we all have a transcript of the call and know this is another left wing lie simply because they do not like the President and are still trying to get vindication for HRC.
Maybe I missed something. Are you saying the RNC would not have used the report from Fusion GPS against Trump if it had been finished earlier?

Old 10-13-2019, 07:33 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Who knows, I mean you actually believe this.....if these people actually know this is a fact, why not just become a whistleblower? Or why even testify, everything seems to be leaking just fine....

Old 10-13-2019, 07:42 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Trump had lunch with Rudy yesterday.

https://twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1183228737569153024

Old 10-13-2019, 08:06 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Sondland (and probably Volker) thread some pretty thin needles. This is my reading:

"It was a quid pro quo, but not a corrupt one,” the person familiar with Sondland’s testimony said. That referred only to the WH visit, not the military aid hold.

About the aid, the intermediary's direct quote is that Trump backed off "whatever his position was early" implying Sondland did not know. Not what his position was but whatever that position.

WaPo uses the phrase "the president's interest in the scheme" implying there was a 'plan' of sorts. That's a WaPo reporter speaking now NOT the intermediary. For that reason, I didn't include it in summary.

Back to the needles ... Sondland is expected to deny (as I believe did Volker) knowing Trump's interest in Burisma was tied to the Bidens. The Bidens do not appear in the Volker-released texts. Only Burisma. But then Giuliani was all over shows touting charges about Burisma and the Bidens? WaPo says that. But then the reporter adds what's so obvious now may not have been at the time to the envoys.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...859_story.html

According to available public record, it was Trump in that Zelensky phone call who first brought in the Bidens (to my knowledge) with Zelensky clearly prepped to know the connection.

No doubt Rudy is needed here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post

Old 10-13-2019, 08:10 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Who knows, I mean you actually believe this.....if these people actually know this is a fact, why not just become a whistleblower? Or why even testify, everything seems to be leaking just fine....
Why Sondland apparently had an intermediary speak to WaPo is a real question. This isn't some general rumor but a detailed synopsis of what his testimony will be.

Can't help but wonder if by leaking it ... it becomes all the more suspicious for the Administration to block Sondland from testifying on Thursday.

Last edited by EveryLady; 10-13-2019 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies