Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2019, 10:40 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I agree liberals have disowned him. I used to be a fan, until I realized how ignorant and biased he is when he honed in on his anti-Muslims rhetoric. You cannot be anti one whole ethnic group and not also hold bigoted views on other groups. Ignorance breeds bigots.
Only the far left wing of the liberal parties. The moderate liberals still love him.

He was never “anti one whole ethnic group”. All he was doing was stating statistics from Pew research. If something like 80% of Muslims in Egypt (the supposedly rational Muslim country) believe that death is the appropriate punishment for leaving the religion, is it anti-Muslim to state that this is what the research shows?

Besides, he is anti religion in general, and especially anti religious fanatics. All religions have their fanatics, it’s just that in the world, in 2019, Muslims are more likely to act on their fanatic beliefs than any other religion. Is it wrong to say that the way Muslim countries treat women, gays, and other minorities is antithetical to liberal beliefs? Because that is the kind of stuff that he says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 11:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,568 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Only the far left wing of the liberal parties. The moderate liberals still love him.

He was never “anti one whole ethnic group”. All he was doing was stating statistics from Pew research. If something like 80% of Muslims in Egypt (the supposedly rational Muslim country) believe that death is the appropriate punishment for leaving the religion, is it anti-Muslim to state that this is what the research shows?

Besides, he is anti religion in general, and especially anti religious fanatics. All religions have their fanatics, it’s just that in the world, in 2019, Muslims are more likely to act on their fanatic beliefs than any other religion. Is it wrong to say that the way Muslim countries treat women, gays, and other minorities is antithetical to liberal beliefs? Because that is the kind of stuff that he says.
People like yourself say that we cant "pretend" Mulism believe what they believe, while quoting Bill Maher who also points out the Bible says the same thing.

One of the many things he loves to repeat is that Christians arent stupid enough to say openly that they believe people should die for forsaking their God, but they still believe it in the form of believing everyone else will burn in hell.

Eternal damnation is literally the worst thing you can place on a person if you genuinely believe in God, it is far worse than death in Christian ideology.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:45 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I agree liberals have disowned him. I used to be a fan, until I realized how ignorant and biased he is when he honed in on his anti-Muslims rhetoric. You cannot be anti one whole ethnic group and not also hold bigoted views on other groups. Ignorance breeds bigots.
Muslim is not an ethnic group. Islam is a religion stuck in the Middle Ages that teaches women and gay people should be stoned to death. The ignorant people are those who proclaim that there are no cultural differences and that all cultures are equally preferable.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
People like yourself say that we cant "pretend" Mulism believe what they believe, while quoting Bill Maher who also points out the Bible says the same thing.

One of the many things he loves to repeat is that Christians arent stupid enough to say openly that they believe people should die for forsaking their God, but they still believe it in the form of believing everyone else will burn in hell.

Eternal damnation is literally the worst thing you can place on a person if you genuinely believe in God, it is far worse than death in Christian ideology.
In this regard, I think he and I are on the same page. It doesn’t really matter what you believe. It only matters if you ACT on that belief. If someone tells me I am going to be eternally damned, I have the right to tell them to go F themselves. And if I believe them, the problem is with me, just as much as them.

Christians can believe whatever they want, and if we disagree, we can say so. But it has been a very long time since Christians or Jews stoned people to death. There are no more Christian crusades like there is in the Muslim world today. Groups like ISIS that go around beheading non believers and even killing people for not believing quite enough, are non existent in the other religions. Christians may believe gay people should die, or are going to hell, but they are not sending them there by throwing them for of rooftops. Christians are not forcing women to cover themselves from head to toe, or executing women for the crime of allowing themselves to be raped.

You people that believe that words and violence are the same thing, really make me laugh.

Old 09-29-2019, 11:55 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
I didn't watch it this time. I still need to catch up on him. I'm behind but I don't need to watch it at the moment because he says this kind of stuff a lot.

Unfortunately it falls on deaf ears. Liberals remain easily offended. I just don't get it. It seems nobody loves to laugh anymore or have a good time and it's really depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
SNL generally parodies whoever the president is. They certainly did a number of sketches on Obama. It’s really undeniable though that Trump provides a LOT more material for them.
There is also the Trump supporter dog sketch from 2017. I personally did not like it but I loved all their digs on presidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral_Weeks View Post
I am a moderate liberal and absolutely laugh at Bill's jokes. Not every single one but certainly very many.

My senior citizen mother is a passionate liberal who has voted for every single Democratic candidate for President from JFK to Hillary in 2016. She thinks Bill is funny...though she isn't a regular watcher nor does she agree with everything he says, etc.

I think Bill appeals most to boomers and Gen Xer's (which is what I am). I could be wrong but I am guessing you are a millennial....

I'm a millenial who is registered Democrat but I'm often the exception to the rule.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
In this regard, I think he and I are on the same page. It doesn’t really matter what you believe. It only matters if you ACT on that belief. If someone tells me I am going to be eternally damned, I have the right to tell them to go F themselves. And if I believe them, the problem is with me, just as much as them.
Except, thats not what he says, he absolutely believes christians are just as bad, they just believe God will handle it. Thats the only difference between 1950's religious people(when being gay was a crime punishable by castration) and 2019 religious people. It was a shift in religious teachings from activism to God will handle all.

Quote:
Christians can believe whatever they want, and if we disagree, we can say so. But it has been a very long time since Christians or Jews stoned people to death. There are no more Christian crusades like there is in the Muslim world today. Groups like ISIS that go around beheading non believers and even killing people for not believing quite enough, are non existent in the other religions. Christians may believe gay people should die, or are going to hell, but they are not sending them there by throwing them for of rooftops. Christians are not forcing women to cover themselves from head to toe, or executing women for the crime of allowing themselves to be raped.
I dont know when the last recorded stoning was, but being gay is still a crime in multiple christian countries and many of those gay people never make it back home after going to jail.

This makes it a death sentence in fact, regardless of if it is a death sentence in name.

Quote:
You people that believe that words and violence are the same thing, really make me laugh.
I do not believe they are the same thing, I simply believe ideology is fragile. And if the difference between throwing someone off a roof and doing nothing is simply based on your preacher saying God will handle it, then that line is too thin to ignore.

All it takes is one sermon of "You are in the army of the lord and he needs you soldier" for some Christians to snap into action.

Bill Maher agree here, which is why i find your support of him interesting.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:30 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Except, thats not what he says, he absolutely believes christians are just as bad, they just believe God will handle it. Thats the only difference between 1950's religious people(when being gay was a crime punishable by castration) and 2019 religious people. It was a shift in religious teachings from activism to God will handle all.

I dont know when the last recorded stoning was, but being gay is still a crime in multiple christian countries and many of those gay people never make it back home after going to jail.

This makes it a death sentence in fact, regardless of if it is a death sentence in name.

I do not believe they are the same thing, I simply believe ideology is fragile. And if the difference between throwing someone off a roof and doing nothing is simply based on your preacher saying God will handle it, then that line is too thin to ignore.

All it takes is one sermon of "You are in the army of the lord and he needs you soldier" for some Christians to snap into action.

He believes all religions are silly, but he absolutely has stayed you don’t have Mormons forming hot squads to take out the producers of The Book of Mormon. The religions are no where comparable. And yes, all religions or closed systems of thought, like modern liberalism are silly.

Old 09-29-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
He believes all religions are silly, but he absolutely has stayed you don’t have Mormons forming hot squads to take out the producers of The Book of Mormon. The religions are no where comparable..
I already stated the flaw in your comment. I have no problem stating most christians in America arent killing people like in Islam, thats a fact, no one disputes it. But Maher doesnt play coy about the fact that this line is thin and makes sure to point that out. You seem to ignore that part to simply say Christians arent as bad.

Quote:
And yes, all religions or closed systems of thought, like modern liberalism are silly
Conservatives mirror religion far more than liberalism.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:

That line is not too thin to ignore. I ignore it all the time. That is entirely what makes words different than actions. I can ignore words, and life goes on.

Does Bill Maher have a different show that I don't know about? Because on the Bill Maher show that I watch, he says many, MANY times that Christians are not as bad. He is constantly making the distinction. He is constantly talking about how Christians aren’t as bad because they have left their barbaric practices in the past. If you really want to make me work, I can go find clips to show you where he says as much.

BTW, telling their flock that God will handle it, is not a bad thing. If anything, it probably keeps people from acting on their feelings. After all, if they take comfort in knowing that God will handle it, why bother hurting anyone?

Old 09-29-2019, 02:07 PM

15,976 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Muslim is not an ethnic group. Islam is a religion stuck in the Middle Ages that teaches women and gay people should be stoned to death. The ignorant people are those who proclaim that there are no cultural differences and that all cultures are equally preferable.

Muslims come from all different kinds of ethnic groups - Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Arabs, Iranians, African Americans, and many more, even white. You wouldnt know that if you watch Bill Maher.

How about in this country where in several states you can be fired if you are gay, which puts the same burden and fear in gay people? How many American women die from domestic violence and are sexually assaultede? How about the rampant pedophiles among the catholics, WORLDWIDE? How about Black people in America who get shot by the police with impunity, or have broomstick up their anus, even when they are innocent, and in greater numbers and for far less degree of crime than Whites? What kind of civilized country do YOU live in? What kind of moral authority does any American, leave aside Maher, have to lecture to Muslims of other nations, or of other culture and religion?

Muslims don't get stoned in India, in China and in many other countries and yet they are Muslims. Fundamentally Muslims are people, there is diversity in how they practice their religions.

It proves my point, if I have not made it already, that bigots love Maher, because he entertains them.

Last edited by cb2008; 09-29-2019 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: Deleted unnecessary/irelevant words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies