Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 05:33 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,170,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Why not be as thankful when they are doing the job? Oh, I know. The Indian guy at the call center or coding does not meeting your requirements and not living the culture the way you want him to. But then no one else wants to consider themselves a low-wage worker because ohmigosh, we all have to be rich! And certainly no one will accept being forced to sit beside him at the office or have him living next door.
I didn't say that! I said why should I be more thankful to immigrants than Americans doing the same job? Americans are care takers to, you know. If the Indian is speaking English in public and not doing some oddball cultural practice in public then he is living the American culture. What part of that aren't you understanding? You sure like to twist words, don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
Look, if people are having fewer kids, the birth rate is dropping. Do you think the current generation will be able to uphold the SS system with a much higher population demographic that is unable to work. People are living longer. People are having fewer kids. Low birth rate nations are seeing this across the board. It’s a double edged sword.

You need social programs especially for people who don’t have kids to take care of them, you also need a populace to pay into these programs. At least until it is reconfigured once wide spread automation takes hold. At that point I’m not sure I have much faith in the people at the top who will largely control the means of AI and automation to do the right thing, but we will see.

You do know what a smaller economy means? A recession, a lot of people in unrelated industries will experience a slow down and will probably be laid off. I don't know about you, but when a recession hits a lot of people sure do like to have a safety net, me included. The economy would experience a market shock from policies that you have been proposing, I just want to point that out.
So your advocating for a never ending ponzi scheme which would require more and more immigrants to sustain it? Why not get our population growth under control which would mean importing fewer immigrants? As I said, a smaller population to fit a smaller economy is much more healthy for humans and the environment. That doesn't mean we can't have social programs for the truly needy. Yes, wide spread automation will eventually occur which means we'd need even fewer people in this country.

Were we in a recession when our economy was smaller in the past with fewer people here? It could be a slow adjustment but a necessary one.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
What I said is not irrelevant to the conversation. You have to apply some critical thinking when presented with numbers and data because they don’t tell the whole story. You sent me a link with a lot of stories. I don’t know what article it is under, I don’t want to search around that site for something you said was on the site. I already debunked the reductive spinning of articles that they used on that site. I posted a link showing that the splc has it listed as a strong anti immigrant biased organization.
The SPLC has been known to only deem certain organizations they don't agree with as being anti-immigrant, racist, etc. while they ignore minority organizations that have demonstrated the same same sentiments and ideals. Those organizations they label that way aren't anti-immigrant just because they oppose illegal immigration and that doesn't make them racists either. No one is anti-immigrant just for calling a reduction in legal immigration either.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Please show where we are taking in 2 working age immigrants for every new job. Immigrants create jobs as well. There is a high amount of entrepreneurship in the immigrant community. 2/3 of new worker age growth is natives? 1/3 of new worker age growth is foreign? I want to make sure this is the point you were trying to make.

Ok so if new worker age growth is 2/3 in the native group and is 1/3 in the foreign group, this demonstrates lower birth rates and a much older native population in comparison to the foreign population. The foreign born percentage of the US is 14.4 percent. So this would point to the fact that natives on average are older than the immigrants on average. This does not prove your point.

This actually helps me prove my point.
Well many of these pro-"immigrant" groups often blur the lines between legal and illegal. The latter are not entrepreneurs for the most part. When you include "immigrants" both legal and illegal I'm sure the stats are correct that mtl1 is quoting.

Old 11-18-2019, 06:36 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,881,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The SPLC has been known to only deem certain organizations they don't agree with as being anti-immigrant, racist, etc. while they ignore minority organizations that have demonstrated the same same sentiments and ideals. Those organizations they label that way aren't anti-immigrant just because they oppose illegal immigration and that doesn't make them racists either. No one is anti-immigrant just for calling a reduction in legal immigration either.
Exactly no one is really anti-immigrant, instead anti-immigration. If the immigrants didn't emigrate from their country to here, then no one would have anything against them. Once here if anyone doesn't like them maybe that's the immigrants fault they're not likable. People are just fed up from too much immigration for too long and with no concern for cultural compatibility.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:05 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Your daily dose of...diversity!

Quote:
‘He Immediately Just Spit In My Face’: Man Accused Of Racist DoorDash Driver Assault Denies It Ever Happened
https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2019/...ever-happened/

And "CAIR" rushes to this guy's defense without hesitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies