Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2019, 09:13 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Except that is a sport small bodied women dominate anyway? Poor example.
You have not been watching the current champion, Biles. She has huge muscles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2019, 01:01 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
I agree with the anti-discrimination view that it should cover orientation and gender. I also agree that all 50 states should have laws that say you cannot discriminate people on such. Now, the problem the problem is practically applying such legal rulings.

Old 10-11-2019, 04:08 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Tell that to some kid that worked their entire life and misses states or loses a scholarship because some male took it.
Well it has not happened yet, and its been almost 8 years since college sports has had its Trans Athlete Policies.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:17 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You have not been watching the current champion, Biles. She has huge muscles.
It is immaterial. It is not just the size of her muscles but how they are distributed about her body and how judges view the exercises. At the moment the judges give higher scores to what a body can do with a female skeleton and distribution of muscle mass than what a male body can achieve.

Now if judges changed their criteria then top female gymnasts would have to worry like the athletes who compete in direct competition, the across the finish line first sports. Those in the "my opinion your twist looks better than her twist" sports are safer from the transgender winning the titles than those in the jump higher run faster sports.

Old 10-11-2019, 05:43 AM

11,185 posts, read 6,511,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well it has not happened yet, and its been almost 8 years since college sports has had its Trans Athlete Policies.
This case is about sexual orientation and 'gender identity,' not simply transgender. If the court rules that the word 'sex' includes sexual identity in employment discrimination, chances are the same rulings would apply to all other federal anti-discrimination laws, such as Title IX. Although it might never happen, consider if five boys who don't quite make the varsity basketball team 'gender identify' as female and join the girls basketball team. Or track, soccer, hockey, tennis, lacrosse, swimming, etc., or female only sports like softball, field hockey, etc..

Old 10-11-2019, 06:01 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
I already addressed the issue.

"In front of the court" *usually* means before the judge/judges. What this girl did was "in front of the courthouse", as in physically in front of the building. It's not a huge deal, just struck me a lazy journalism (maybe intentionally, maybe not) and led to my initial confusion about what case the SCOTUS was actually hearing.

FYI, only lawyers speak in front of the justices of the Supreme Court.

Perhaps Breitbart assumed you knew this. Frankly, Hollywood had me picturing the good citizen up there as well arguing his/her case but it doesn't work that way.

This is a really cool video about how the SCOTUS hears oral arguments.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47561...oral-arguments

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 10-11-2019 at 06:18 AM..

Old 10-11-2019, 06:58 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
FYI, only lawyers speak in front of the justices of the Supreme Court.

Perhaps Breitbart assumed you knew this. Frankly, Hollywood had me picturing the good citizen up there as well arguing his/her case but it doesn't work that way.

This is a really cool video about how the SCOTUS hears oral arguments.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c47561...oral-arguments

Thanks for the link. I never had much occasion to ponder the mechanics of how the SCOTUS heard cases.

The thread title "Girl Pleads Case Before the Supreme Court" certainly evokes images of testimony.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:06 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Thanks for the link. I never had much occasion to ponder the mechanics of how the SCOTUS heard cases.

The thread title "Girl Pleads Case Before the Supreme Court" certainly evokes images of testimony.
I am not aware of the process either. I will watch the link when I get a chance.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:56 AM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
I already addressed the issue.

"In front of the court" *usually* means before the judge/judges. What this girl did was "in front of the courthouse", as in physically in front of the building. It's not a huge deal, just struck me a lazy journalism (maybe intentionally, maybe not) and led to my initial confusion about what case the SCOTUS was actually hearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If you look at the photo it appears they may have meant 'outside the Supreme Court'. She was in front of the building but didn't appear before them, I don't think.

Just caught up with the thread. Yes - lazy journalism. No surprise there.
Both of you are correct, in a way.

Yes, "in front of the Supreme Court" does indeed sound like standing right in front of them.

However, when you put it with the photo, it shows her in front of the building.

The problem is, not everyone can see that photo or video. On my end, it says "This video file cannot be played" and gives an error code. I have removed Flash and JAVA from my computer, so that is probably why, but don't assume that everyone is going to see exactly the same thing that you are.

In 2020, when they FINALLY get rid of Flash, things will change, but until then, not everyone sees the videos or the images.

Which leads us back to "in front of the Supreme Court" without a photo, absolutely makes it sound like she was arguing her case with the Supreme Court.

Old 10-11-2019, 11:08 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Sports are just games.

Transgenders are a tiny portion of the population. Those that are transgender and play a sport are even more rare.

Much ado about nothing.
To you. Not so for others.

Simone Biles just added a move to her gymnastics routine that has been done by men, but she's the first woman to do it. Men find it easier to do, due to their strength.

This could impact Nationals, the Olympics, etc. For those who have dedicated their lives to something, putting in hours and hours of work every day for years, that's unfair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies