Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2019, 07:28 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I got the news today, and it was a good thing I was sitting down when I opened the envelope.

The premium for the "budget" plan I have (otherwise known as the bronze plan) will be $977 a month. That's nearly $1,000 a month for the cheapest plan available, which carries a deductible of nearly $7,000. That means that I, with a straight middle-class income, will be on the hook for almost $20,000 in medical costs (if my year is bad). Boy, do I long for the pre-Obamacare days just a few years ago when I paid a few hundred a month at most for a real plan that covered medical expenses!

Basically, as has been discussed before, Obama "arranged" for middle earners to pay exorbitant premiums for what is essentially a catastrophic plan in order to have insurance companies provide the costs for every sneeze and cough for low(er) earners.

So, has anyone else received their envelope?
The costs that the hospitals charge also have to cover for the free illegal care of all those who come across the border. That cost has to be transferred to the Insurance companies or Obamacare. You are also covering the payment of all those free services as the hospitals and doctors have to be paid. If two illegals get care, you are paying more to cover them. The hospitals would close and the insurance companies would go broke if they didn't charge that huge amount to the paying customers.. that is you.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The gag orders predated Obamacare in those states that allowed insurers, pharmacies and pharmacies benefit managers to insert such clauses into into their commercial contracts.

In order for the now former gag order to be in effect, required the state to be complicit. Half the states had banned such gag orders by the time Congress took it up on a national level.
And Trump saw to it that ALL contracts disallowed the gag order, while Obama allowed it to remain. Why can't you give Trump credit for anything???

(OK, now I really have to go....)

Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The costs that the hospitals charge also have to cover for the free illegal care of all those who come across the border. That cost has to be transferred to the Insurance companies or Obamacare. You are also covering the payment of all those free services as the hospitals and doctors have to be paid. If two illegals get care, you are paying more to cover them. The hospitals would close and the insurance companies would go broke if they didn't charge that huge amount to the paying customers.. that is you.
Then our taxes cover others who are insured with Medicaid. We all hear about a gun fights. fwe hear on the news... 10 people were shot this past weekend, 1 dead, 4 of them in critical condition, and 5 recovering in the hospital. Who is paying for the after math of the gun fight? We the tax payer of course.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Democrats and 1-2 democrats (I can't remember) voted against the repeal part so replace couldn't happen.
The ( at the times unscored) replace option on the table was a disaster and would have substantially increased premiums for those age 50-64. Trump dodged a bullet when it failed to pass and likely would have had no realistic shot at 2020.

Congress critters drafting healthcare legislation on the back of napkins, over lunch is not a sound practice.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:37 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,239,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
2006:
"Insurer hits millions of seniors with drug cost hike
"Premium will rise by 130% for Mass. plan"
http://archive.boston.com/yourlife/h...rug_cost_hike/

2007:
"07 to see sharp rise in Humana premiums"
http://archive.boston.com/yourlife/h...rug_cost_hike/

2008:
"Health plan rates may rise by 14%"
State weighs raising health plan rates 14 - The Boston Globe

2009:
"Health insurers plan 10% rise in rates"
Health insurers plan 10% rise in rates - The Boston Globe

2010:
"5 painful health-care lessons from Massachusetts"
http://archive.fortune.com/2010/06/1...tune/index.htm

2011:
"Health Insurance Rate Increase Held Below 10 Percent"
http://legacy.wbur.org/2011/02/15/ma...-care-premiums

2012:
"Health Care In Massachusetts Turns To Cost Control"
https://www.npr.org/2012/02/14/14684...o-cost-control

2013:
"Rate Shock Massachusetts Edition: 60% Of Small Biz To See Premiums Rise, Up To 97%"
https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapot.../#24bbd02a7369

2014:
"Connector health plans for 2015 will rise by 1.6%"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...SAP/story.html

2015:
"300,000 in Mass. to see health policy rates rise 6 percent"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...YIJ/story.html

2016:
"Massachusetts health insurance costs set to rise by 6.3 percent in 2016"
https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...ts_set_to.html

2017:
"State Health Connector rates to rise 8.7 percent, less sharply than feared"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...daM/story.html

2018:
"State Health Connector warns premiums could soar next year"
https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...hGK/story.html

2019:
"Cost of health insurance premiums on the rise in Massachusetts"
https://www.masslive.com/politics/20...achusetts.html
Exactly, I was trying to figure out what era everyone on here was talking about. Premiums have continued to rise for near 2 decades since the big HMO push in the 90's.

Prices will continue to rise as subsidy levels are locked in but premium prices are allowed to rise. Congress is suppose to re-address this issue but nothing with getting through the senate so forget that. Personally I think insurance companies will continue to raise premiums so long as people pay them.

I cannot think of a single incentive for insurance companies to lower premiums. If I was the CEO of Humana I would keep pushing premiums until either congress stepped in or customers stop paying.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:39 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Exactly, I was trying to figure out what era everyone on here was talking about. Premiums have continued to rise for near 2 decades since the big HMO push in the 90's.

Prices will continue to rise as subsidy levels are locked in but premium prices continue to rise. Personally I think insurance companies will continue to raise premiums so long as people pay them.

I cannot think of a single incentive for insurance companies to lower premiums. If I was the CEO of Humana I would keep pushing premiums until either congress stepped in or customers stop paying.
That's the problem with for profit healthcare, there's inelastic demand, so they can charge whatever they want, and people will pay or die

Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,745,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The ( at the times unscored) replace option on the table was a disaster and would have substantially increased premiums for those age 50-64. Trump dodged a bullet when it failed to pass and likely would have had no realistic shot at 2020.

Congress critters drafting healthcare legislation on the back of napkins, over lunch is not a sound practice.
Is there any documentation? I would like to read it.

I know of people who made too much money which really was not much money at all but had to pay full ticket price. They were forced to go without insurance, then come tax time they had to pay the tax/fine. I was happy Trump did away with the mandate.

What gets me is why people don't understand that when gov't helps the poor, they screw and hurts people trying to earn their way through like to help the poor. Gov'ts help always end up making more poor. As I said...

The best thing everyone can do for society is to be able to support yourself without taking from others to do it. If liberals really wanted a better society why don't they support that idea?

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Is there any documentation? I would like to read it.

I know of people who made too much money which really was not much money at all but had to pay full ticket price. They were forced to go without insurance, then come tax time they had to pay the tax/fine. I was happy Trump did away with the mandate.

What gets me is gov't is so concerned with the poor that they screw and hurts everyone else to help them. As I said...

The best thing everyone can do for society is to be able to support yourself without taking from others to do it. If liberals really wanted a better society why don't they support that idea?
Your bolded point requires $$$$$, and as you know the vast majority of this country only earns $ or $$. Don't be ridiculous

Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,170,292 times
Quote:
Then our taxes cover others who are insured with Medicaid. We all hear about a gun fights. fwe hear on the news... 10 people were shot this past weekend, 1 dead, 4 of them in critical condition, and 5 recovering in the hospital. Who is paying for the after math of the gun fight? We the tax payer of course.
Many people do not realize that free is not free. It is placed on every paying person. If 300 illegals go to your school district , the local taxes you pay on your home has to cover that extra cost . They need more teachers, they have to teach them how to speak English, and it also takes away from the other students .

Many ways people have to pay more. Having millions more coming here over the border pushes up rents. How ? The owner of that rental home has to pay more in local taxes to cover the school costs and makes it up with an increase in rent . Food prices go up because of supply and demand. Those on food stamps pay any price no matter how high the cost because it is free to them. Those that pay out of pocket have to either pass the purchase up or pay the extra cost for that food item.

Many do not think of the cause and effect. Having free health care for millions , someone has to pick up the bill. That is why the extra cost. If everyone was a paying customer, the costs would be spread across everyone and the costs would come down. Democrats push the cost of everything up for Americans. We have the burden to pay for all the free stuff given out. We pay and pay and pay!

Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Your bolded point requires $$$$$, and as you know the vast majority of this country only earns $ or $$. Don't be ridiculous
They do not warrant significant medical intervention since they do not contribute enough economically to warrant good health insurance. Get with the program!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies