Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:19 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times

Advertisements

I am putting this thread under Politics and Controversies, because healthcare was a major part of the Democratic Debate on Tuesday night, and the healthcare insurance controversy continues to generate a great amount of debate here on City Data, also.

So, forgetting what has already been proposed by various politicians, (1) what kind of medical insurance would you like to see for the U.S. as a whole for those who cannot afford private insurance, and (2) what kind of insurance would you like to see for yourself (and your family if that applies) personally as private insurance, IF that is different from what you would like to see for the country? And also, what is the most you would be willing to pay for that insurance in the form of taxes and/or premiums? (Either a dollar figure or percentage of income.)

(And, please, I do not want this thread to turn this into any kind of debate or be filled with attacks of what people write because there is already enough of that going on on other threads! I am just asking for people to give their own personal ideas about on this issue and to say what would be ideal for them personally.)

P.S. And, no, I am not a data-mining troll or robot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 07:21 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
Ideally, none. It be the easiest and quickest way to bring all costs down.

Besides that, real catastrophic plans, low premium, low deductible. Plans that were available before ACA. When the middle class wasn't being housed. Go back to the way it was.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:22 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
One where the government isn't involved in any way whatsoever, at any level, for any reason.

One where my insurer and I, according to actuarial science, have determined a proper risk mitigation strategy that benefits BOTH of us according to our respective rational self-interests. You know, like every other form of insurance under the Sun?

One where I choose from a list of things I would like covered, with full knowledge of the costs, deductibles, etc up front and transparent. You know, like every other form of insurance under the Sun?

And because it's important enough to list twice - one where the government isn't involved in any way whatsoever, at any level, for any reason.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:26 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Canada style single payer

Old 10-17-2019, 07:33 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,421,433 times
Health insurance is NOT like "every other insurance under the sun" because going without health care is not an option civil society will grant you. So if you need health care and don't have insurance, someone ELSE is going to pay for it. Period.

To protect ALL of us and bring healthcare costs down in a way that a competitive, for-profit marketplace NEVER will, healthcare should be single-payer. Let's not call it "government" if that word offends. Let's call it "mutual" or "peer-supported" or "universal" and set up a non-governmental structure to handle it. Yes, everyone has to pay into the program but if the word "tax" offends let's call that something else too. Heck, let's call it "premiums" if that makes you happy.

Remove the profit motive and we might actually get some health CARE going.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
One where the government isn't involved in any way whatsoever, at any level, for any reason.

One where my insurer and I, according to actuarial science, have determined a proper risk mitigation strategy that benefits BOTH of us according to our respective rational self-interests. You know, like every other form of insurance under the Sun?

One where I choose from a list of things I would like covered, with full knowledge of the costs, deductibles, etc up front and transparent. You know, like every other form of insurance under the Sun?

And because it's important enough to list twice - one where the government isn't involved in any way whatsoever, at any level, for any reason.
Exactly.

I would add that those who can’t afford it is not my financial problem or responsibility.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:

Health insurance doesn't work like other insurance. You only get one body, and the people with pre-existing conditions already as a rule earn less money than people who don't so to charge them even more is simply punitive, and only 1% of this country can afford to cover all medical expenses with cash out of pocket.

Health coverage SHOULD be single payer

Old 10-17-2019, 07:44 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Health insurance doesn't work like other insurance. You only get one body, and the people with pre-existing conditions already as a rule earn less money than people who don't so to charge them even more is simply punitive, and only 1% of this country can afford to cover all medical expenses with cash out of pocket.

Health coverage SHOULD be single payer
No. I pay for me and not for thee.

Old 10-17-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No. I pay for me and not for thee.
I'm not sure how old you are, but single payer will happen in my lifetime. Bank on it

Old 10-17-2019, 08:10 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Health insurance is NOT like "every other insurance under the sun" because going without health care is not an option civil society will grant you. So if you need health care and don't have insurance, someone ELSE is going to pay for it. Period.

To protect ALL of us and bring healthcare costs down in a way that a competitive, for-profit marketplace NEVER will, healthcare should be single-payer. Let's not call it "government" if that word offends. Let's call it "mutual" or "peer-supported" or "universal" and set up a non-governmental structure to handle it. Yes, everyone has to pay into the program but if the word "tax" offends let's call that something else too. Heck, let's call it "premiums" if that makes you happy.

Remove the profit motive and we might actually get some health CARE going.
The question was what kind of medical insurance I would like to see, not what kind of medical insurance I think properly addresses how those without insurance can access health care services.

WHAT I WANT is exactly as I described.
  • Government totally removed from the equation.
  • My insurer and I working out a policy that is mutually beneficial, free from coercion or duress, according to voluntary association.
That's WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE, which is the direct answer t the direct question of "what kind of medical insurance plan(s) would YOU LIKE TO SEE?"

Protecting all of us is not my freaking concern when I purchase any product. I don't GAFF what your plan is, how easily you can access health care, what your freaking health status is, none of it. It is not my concern in any way whatsoever. On that same token, I don't expect you to care even one iota about any of the above for me. Not your concern, never going to be.

So what I would like to see is individual plans being truly individual, same as every other good/service under the Sun. Purchase it if you like, do not purchase if you don't. Weigh the cost and benefits, caveat emptor, blah blah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies