Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,220,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Out of who's pocket? Me? Tax payers? Employers?
If you have a job and coverage through the job then it is a shared expense.

Medicare for all would be part of your taxes.

Business would love it as they could pay a share of the bill through a tax like SS. Dramatically lowering the cost of insurance for the employer and the employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 07:00 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Out of who's pocket? Me? Tax payers? Employers?
Guess we will find out, when Warren releases her plan.

Either way, she is going to have to pretend we won't pay anything up front, and everyone will absorb the costs and not one penny of the costs will be passed on to us. At least that has been her campaign message.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
But everyone else will be paying your share, you won't see any increases in costs to you.

Most people have an employer subsidized health care insurance plan, where the employer pays the bulk of the costs. For example:
For HMOs, the average employer contributed $5,520 for single coverage (78 percent), while employees contributed $1,532. For family coverage, the split was $12,221 (64 percent) and $6,850, respectively.

For PPOs, the average employer contributed $5,653 for single coverage (81 percent), while employees contributed $1,312. For family coverage, the split was $13,430 (69 percent) and $6,050, respectively.
What will be your cost once your employer is not paying the lions share? Where will all that money go that your employer was paying?
You would hope it would go to the employee. In today's world it would go to shareholder's in large corporation's and in small business maybe to the employee or back into the business.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post

Business would love it as they could pay a share of the bill through a tax like SS. Dramatically lowering the cost of insurance for the employer and the employee.

This would definitely empower politicians in Washington. Everyone with deep pockets will be on their knees, bowing and scraping before them, begging for a special loophole, carved out of the tax code just for them.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:05 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,632,409 times
OK, since Trump goofed it up and it stuck somehow, here are the official clowning nicknames used in the press so far:
  • Fauxcahontas
  • Liarwatha/Lie-awatha
  • Pocahonkey (after the DNA test)
Some of the ones I have used, and not claiming originality, just less common:
  • Dances With Cronies
  • Partcohontas
Trump can't keep much straight when he talks, so he uses the actual historical name instead of the clowning derivative.

To the topic - even if she unveils some sort of invented magic, anyone who has an Internet game of trying to conjure up clowning nicknames for her is doomed to fail.

Last edited by Volobjectitarian; 10-22-2019 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Medicare for All would cost approximately $10K a year per person.
So $50K for a family of 5?

My family plan now, only costs $20K, and it covers everything. How is paying more than double, efficient?

Old 10-22-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This would definitely empower politicians in Washington. Everyone with deep pockets will be on their knees, bowing and scraping before them, begging for a special loophole, carved out of the tax code just for them.
I agree.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
You would hope it would go to the employee. In today's world it would go to shareholder's in large corporation's and in small business maybe to the employee or back into the business.
I think it would be naive of us to assume that the government would not take that money; that, and a lot more on top of that.

From the way politicians talk, they seem to think every employer has an endless pool of money just lying around.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 AM

18,470 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
OK, since Trump goofed it up and it stuck somehow, here are the official clowning nicknames used in the press so far:
  • Fauxcahontas
  • Liarwatha/Lie-awatha
  • Pocahonkey (after the DNA test)
Some of the ones I have used, and not claiming originality, just less common:
  • Dances With Cronies
  • Partcohontas
Trump can't keep much straight when he talks, so he uses the actual historical name instead of the clowning derivative.
My personal favorite is, Dances With the Truth.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:12 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,982,264 times
Quote:

Sounds like it will cost me more $. And I know how these things work, I'm sure that increased expense will come with a diminished level of service, quality and options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies