Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Trump read the Constitution?
Yes, he read it. 34 21.12%
No, he didn’t read it. 127 78.88%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 11:27 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Serious question: Do you think Trump read the Constitution?

If you think he didn’t read it, does that bother you? Would you expect your POTUS to read it?

Why does he think the emoluments clause is phony?

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...-clause-053289
He doesn't even know there IS a constitution.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:29 AM

34,234 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Yes he does. They work very hard to spin the BS machine 24/7 to justify everything Cheeto Mussolini does.

Delusional. Childish.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Trump doesn't understand the basic concept of checks and balances. He still thinks Congress and the Senate, as well as SCOTUS, works FOR him.

They don't. Not that you could tell with the Senate.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:02 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Trump doesn't understand the basic concept of checks and balances. He still thinks Congress and the Senate, as well as SCOTUS, works FOR him.

They don't. Not that you could tell with the Senate.
I have thought about myself lately.

Trump really does seem to believe that the office of the president is superior to the others, and it lies behind his criticism of other presidents as weak. He has also praised political strong men leading other countries, he seems to admire them to an embarrassing extreme.

Actually Trump doesn't have a good grasp of the limitations built in to the office (limitations deliberately designed by the founding fathers). The concept of a republic (structured in the way ours is) depends upon full cooperation between the branches of government, and each branch has to buy in to the idea and uphold the high ideals. This is why we never swear loyalty to a person, we always swear an oath to the nation and swear an oath to uphold the constitution.

Historically, if a republic (any republic) is not destroyed by outsiders, it can fall to powerful forces within, like to leaders of the military or to an individual who becomes 'head of state' and manages to transform the institutions of government with popular support by fiat. Both of those threats could evolve naturally out of the executive branch, and the founding fathers were fully aware of that. They fought to remove the monarchy, and they fenced in the chief executive to keep it from becoming another monarchy. (George Washington could probably have finagled his way to becoming a dictator or king if he had so desired at the time, but he believed in what they all fought so hard for like the others and gracefully yielded the potential powers thrust upon him, setting an example for all who followed.)

Republicans in the past were very conscious of these dangers, and fought vigorously to preserve the delicate balance, jealously guarding the prerogatives of the House and the Senate (witness Lindsey Graham's powerful speech during the impeachment trial of Bill Clinton, very much in the tradition). Republicans today don't seem to care, it's like they are from a different planet altogether.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:13 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,929,182 times
He hasn't read it but he knows this much about it - it stands in his way. That is all he really needs to know; his style is to destroy ANYTHING that stands in his way or dares to defy him.

In New York real estate or in the Mafia, this tactic might work for a while. As the President of a constitutionally mandated democratic Republic? Trump has a hard fall ahead of him. He knows this, but the reality is that he will enthusiastically take everyone and everything down with him before losing face or backing down. He learned this tactic from Roy Cohn the black-hearted Mafia lawyer that was Trump's mentor in the early days.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:08 PM

57,295 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
So you support enforcement of immigration laws?
Yes of course I do.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 PM

57,295 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
Trump stores more information in his head than anyone, but even he should not be expected to memorize the entire constitution.
This never came up before, please. I remember him claiming he divested himself from his business for this specifc reason.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
we all know that Trump's politics are more in line with what the framers of the constitution had in mind compared with today's leftists.

So are you suggesting that reading the constitution is more important than following the actual spirit of it?
Are you suggesting that the framers were a bunch of selfish fools like Trump? Trump has no love for this country. He is all about himself. That's what we all know. He even planned to hold the G7 summit at his own resort. That's shameful....and also illegal.

To follow "the spirit" of The Constitution is not the most important thing. To read, to understand and to interpret correctly The Constitution, a legal document, with all of its amendments, is important.

(Bolded red mine.)

Old 10-22-2019, 04:54 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,458,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
No, I'm quite sure he's never read the Constitution. On top of the fact that he doesn't read, period, it's been mentioned that someone was sent to tutor him about the Constitution, and Trump got bored after a few minutes and stopped.

Of course it bothers me. It should bother all Americans. I'm guessing you know why he says the emoluments clause is "phony." It's being whenever there's something he doesn't like, he terms it phony, fake, mean, nasty, unfair, or rigged. His life has been so smoothed for him by his money that he thinks anything that makes him unhappy must be wrong. And I think it's partly because his vocabulary is so poor, and he's unable to argue a point like an intelligent adult, so he just latches on to one of these random adjectives.
Very well said. I agree with you.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:56 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Do you think Trump read the Constitution?
Obviously from his actions, he has not.
He admits himself that he does not read.
(How anyone could ever learn anything or increase in wisdom in understanding, if they don't or can't read?)
Wharton business school? Rigggght.
(I see somebody's daddy made a big contribution)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies