Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 08:36 AM

19,385 posts, read 6,542,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I didn’t inherit a thing. I don’t even know what my family was doing three generations back, much less if they had money or slaves. I grew up with a single mother in the ‘70s. We lived in apartments and my mom worked as a secretary. When my dad did pay support, it was $75 per month per child, and there was no child support unit with the Attorney General’s office to collect it nor a mechanism to withhold support from wages back then. So you want me to pay you reparations for something I didn’t do and you didn’t suffer from because in your mind I have inherited wealth? GTFO.
This is SO true. I always hear advocates for black reparations talk about inherited white wealth as if white people are all wealthy due to their rich families.

My grandparents were dirt poor, and my parents are college graduates - who have lived an upper-middle class life. NO inherited wealth. In fact, the Millionaire Next Door reports that 93% of millionaires today inherited nothing from their parents. This whole bit about inherited wealth is just a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

15,063 posts, read 6,212,030 times
Quote:
You do know those things are already available right? Not only that, but a smart black person who studies and does well in school has a much greater chance of getting into a prestigious university than a smart white person who studies and does well in school unless said kid is a genius or had alumni parents or apparently rich parents willing to pay to change test scores and whatnot.
Approximately 40 percent of white students at Ivy League schools are legacy children and there are more than a few rich students whose parents pulled strings. Whites have caused their own problems. It isn’t black people’s fault that for years whites were basically the only group who could attend the prestigious schools. If you want to blame someone, blame the whites of past generations that has poor morals and little foresight as to the negative effects their actions would have on their own.

21,522 posts, read 10,647,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Jim Crow ended in the 1960s.

No one is taking my freedom by given descendants of American slaves reparations for what was done to them over generations. Why are you playing some sort of victim? The reason reparations didn’t happen then I’d the same reason it isn’t happening today - inhumanity and justification of savagery.
I’m not playing victim. I’m saying the argument Indentured Servant made was a bad argument that didn’t make sense. And I’m also saying reparations is not ever going to pass so get it out of your head. (Especially you since you aren’t even from this country right?)

Old 10-27-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
This is SO true. I always hear advocates for black reparations talk about inherited white wealth as if white people are all wealthy due to their rich families.

My grandparents were dirt poor, and my parents are college graduates - who have lived an upper-middle class life. NO inherited wealth. In fact, the Millionaire Next Door reports that 93% of millionaires today inherited nothing from their parents. This whole bit about inherited wealth is just a myth.
Yet you’re fine with the U.S. pouring billions into Israel. You’re fine in taking money from people who were oppressed IN THIS COUNTRY to give to your fellow Jews in Israel. Spare me the hypocrisy.

I’m in favor of putting the money given to Israel into giving free college education to descendants of American slaves and to improving the grade schools in predominantly African-American communities.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-27-2019 at 08:57 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 08:42 AM

16,955 posts, read 16,810,296 times
Just a thought: I wonder if they mail out these mass reparation checks, if large groups of people will break into mail box rooms/standing mail boxes and steal all the checks? Anytime you alert that you are sending out 1,000's of checks, you might have a problem with those with nefarious intentions.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:44 AM

8,973 posts, read 2,581,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are right. I just gravitated toward the first thing you stated. I stand corrected.

That having been said....why would not an intelligent person see reparations as an effort to REPAIR blacks from the accrued damage of centuries of racial discrimination that would, as an end result, create near socioeconomic parity with whites?

Socioeconomic racial parity, would, in the long term, pay for the upfront cost of the program.

# Higher black per capita income.....means blacks contributing more to the national tax base than they would otherwise contribute if thing remain as they are. Note:

# with blacks having higher incomes, that means less blacks on public assistance getting transfer payments, via the government, from the taxes paid by others. Hence, with reduced black poverty, which is currently twice the rate of white poverty, billions it taxes could theoretically be cut on one end and billions more it taxes could theoretically be collected on the other end via increased employment and income of black people.

# With higher black incomes and reduced poverty rates, the result would be increased spending from the increased purchasing power of blacks. Increased spending by blacks, relative to black spending today, adjusted for the inflation between now and a hypothetical date in the future of parity, would boost the nations GDP and create more revenue in many businesses (including and likely mostly white owned businesses).

# With higher black incomes and lower rates of poverty, it stands to reason that there will be less crime and incarceration in the black community.

# With blacks having been REPAIRED.....what would blacks have to complain about to whites? Why would blacks have to see themselves as "Victims" if America repaired the damage?

Its a win-win for America....boosting the standard of living of black people. Its a win-lose for ideas of racial supremacy. One race cannot be supreme and on top over another race, if the bottom race is invested in to bring them up to a self maintainable rate of equality. Thus, AMERICA, as a whole, has something to gain from Reparations done the right way. White supremacy, as a whole, would lose out. White supremacy would be the only entity not gaining overall, in the long run, and you are right, it would not be intelligent for a white supremacist to support knowing what is at stake in regards to their interest.
The reason intelligent people who don't stand to directly benefit from it would oppose it would be becaus

1. People aren't owed anything based on the color of their skin.

2. Giving things to people based on the color of their skin is fundamentally bigoted.

3. You'd be giving things to the defendants of slave owners paid for by the descendants of not only non slave owners, but also the descendants of those who fought to end slavery.

4. There is an economic level playing field, those who deserve it can succeed, that's all that anyone is owed.

I personally find it to be refreshing that so many black people oppose it honestly. We both know the gatekeeping and social pressure put on black people to ensure ideological homogeneity. For so many to stand on principle against rational self interest on top of those pressures is pretty amazing to me.

Old 10-27-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I’m not playing victim. I’m saying the argument Indentured Servant made was a bad argument that didn’t make sense. And I’m also saying reparations is not ever going to pass so get it out of your head. (Especially you since you aren’t even from this country right?)
Don’t try to tell me where I am from. I was born right here in the U.S. and to me, you’re playing the victim. My parents are immigrants. It’s not my fault these things happened but it is best to right the wrongs. Rather than a check, build up community schools. Give descendants free college education. There are numerous ways to accomplish this.

Last edited by ReineDeCoeur; 10-27-2019 at 08:56 AM..

Old 10-27-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Approximately 40 percent of white students at Ivy League schools are legacy children and there are more than a few rich students whose parents pulled strings. Whites have caused their own problems. It isn’t black people’s fault that for years whites were basically the only group who could attend the prestigious schools. If you want to blame someone, blame the whites of past generations that has poor morals and little foresight as to the negative effects their actions would have on their own.
I’m not blaming black people for this situation. I’m stating that there are already the programs you think should be part of reparations so I’m not paying an extra tax for something I didn’t do and for damn sure didn’t benefit from when my kids don’t have advantages that your kids have. I’m not wealthy. I didn’t go to college. My kids were the minorities at their school, so they had the same schooling as minority kids. My kids are going to be indebted from college loans and didn’t have any advantages either so I do not think they should be burdened by extra taxes for things they didn’t do and didn’t benefit from.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Don’t try to tell me where I am from. I was born right here in the U.S. and to me, you’re playing the victim. My parents are immigrants. It’s not my fault these things happened but it is best to right the wrongs. Rather than a check, build up community schools. Give descendants free college education. There are numerous ways to accomplish this.
I apologize because I thought you said you were from the Caribbean. But I have already stated that those forms of reparations are already available to you so don’t expect anything more. Just listen to democrats who say they support reparations “studies” in Congress, which means they’ll study the issue and determine its unworkable, but they’ll say they tried. Reparations will not happen.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:10 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,744,951 times
Quote:
Enjoying freedoms created by ancestors doesn’t entail taking freedoms from one group of people to give to another group of people. This argument is not at all the same thing as forcing one segment of the population to pay money to a different segment of the population for something neither segment lived through 200 years ago. Get reparations out of your mind because it’s not happening.
Life is like an endless relay race. The gun went off, to start this race in America, hundreds of year ago. I hope you are intelligent enough to understand what a relay race is. If not, its a race of "teams" around an oval track. One member each team starts at an equal position when the gun goes off. They then run a set distance and pass the baton to the next member of the team. The first team that gets its member past the finish line wins.

In life, there is no equal starting point, in this American relay. In life, there is no known "finish line" in this American relay. In life, each generation starts running from where the previous generation that handed them the baton existed in the race. It's important to note that there is no FRESH START. There is no avoiding starting from whence your previous generation existed. If they are behind, the next generation inherits that deficit. Changes in rules or laws during the race does not reset all the teams back to equal starts from the point of the rule or change in laws. Rules are changed, but your position in the race does not get adjusted.

If things were unfair in the past to a team and the team is running behind as a result, they can theoretically NEVER catch up if they are EQUAL to those teams in front of them. The only way to catch or pass those in front is if you are actually SUPERIOR to them and or THEY ARE SLACKING. What a reparations effort would or should attempt is to remove the inherited deficit that the team accrued during a period where the team was treated unfairly.

Right now, white people are enjoying a lead born from the unfairness of others in the past. Black people are suffering a deficit born from the unfairness to blacks in the past. Boosting blacks up does not change the absolute position of whites, only the RELATIVE position of whites. In other words, whites would not be hurt in an absolute metric....only in the relative metric of BEING OVER/AHEAD of BLACKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies