Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 11:59 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
No one mentioned hate. Like I said before, you could easily look at history, the country and the world and be motivated by possibilities born from seeing what people who looked like you have accomplished. Black people are told Africa is a place where everyone is starving and or at war, primitive, corrupt, dependent and having contributed nothing to the world. We are then part of American history as the enslaved and we get inundated with negative images of black people, with the exception of sports and entertainment. We did have, however, the first black president which was great optics for the black psyche, but certainly not enough to offset all the negative programming around blackness.

I am a person who believes in the power of belief. If you believe something strong enough....it can produce a placebo effect. In other words, what people believe deep down inside, about themselves, impacts what they can achieve. It can become a self fulfilling prophesy. If black people are not achieving certain heights, its only because they have been conditioned by what the see not to believe they can be that.

Its like the 4 minute mile. No one could run the mile in less than 4 minutes because everyone was conditioned to believe that it could not be done....until one person did it. Once one person did it, the flood gates opened and others, in short time, started running sub 4 min miles. Blacks in this world are conditioned to believe they are inferior.....just be existing in this world. This is why you can get immigrants from Africa, who have much healthier self images and culture surrounding blackness, who perform better than African Americans.
I agree, which is why reparations will not help. What would help is for more and more black people to go to college and be born to college educated parents. And that’s what is happening. I wish record companies would refuse to publish music about people killing people. How many white songs are about murdering other white people? They wouldn’t accept it. Why do we accept it from rappers? Why do we talk about lowering expectations for black students? The best teacher I ever had grew up in segregated schools. She was incredibly smart and didn’t lower expectations for any of her students, white, black or brown. The victim mentality is bad, and we are going more towards that than away from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 12:03 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Enslaved Africans were far worse off than if they'd be left in peace in their African homelands. A hundred and fifty years after the last slave was freed though their ancestors are far better off living in America than if they were living in poverty in modern Africa.

So after a two-term African-American presidency and fifty-plus years of de facto Affirmative Action reparations maybe it's just time to put paid to the past and move on.
That is because whites colonized Africa....and took control of its valuable economic resources.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
LOL....I never claimed you are racist. I don't know if you are or are not. What I SAID was that you are already doing what you say you are against. The precedent was already set. Hence, since you are already doing it....am I wrong in saying that you don't want to do it for black people?
I’m not doing it willingly. What my taxes go towards is out of my control. I don’t mind it going to help people who need help. I never said we should get rid of welfare. I am not upset that black kids who work hard in school get certain advantages in college admissions. I just don’t think the talk of reparations will ever do anything but breed resentment, and won’t ever happen anyway. We are too far from that time and too much has happened in the interim to make it unworkable.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,185,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Enslaved Africans were far worse off than if they'd be left in peace in their African homelands. A hundred and fifty years after the last slave was freed though their ancestors are far better off living in America than if they were living in poverty in modern Africa.

So after a two-term African-American presidency and fifty-plus years of de facto Affirmative Action reparations maybe it's just time to put paid to the past and move on.

Many Indians remain in India. Nothing is wrong with that. They do not have to come to the U.S. just to be an Indian. It is not necessary for Africans, or "African-Americans" to live in the U.S. either. I just have a feeling that the U.S. could turn all white tomorrow and the people remaining would be upset for not having the other race around just for show.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I agree, which is why reparations will not help. What would help is for more and more black people to go to college and be born to college educated parents. And that’s what is happening. I wish record companies would refuse to publish music about people killing people. How many white songs are about murdering other white people? They wouldn’t accept it. Why do we accept it from rappers? Why do we talk about lowering expectations for black students? The best teacher I ever had grew up in segregated schools. She was incredibly smart and didn’t lower expectations for any of her students, white, black or brown. The victim mentality is bad, and we are going more towards that than away from it.
What makes you qualified to know and tell black people what will or will not help them? Are you a psychologist, economist, trained in anything like that?

You are just speaking from the EMOTIONS of what you want and don't want to see happen. You don't know what it is like to be black in a white dominated US....so how do you feel you are qualified to tell us what is a solution?

Old 10-27-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Money isn't everything. I just love it when non-black people claim not to have an advantage and then so many at the same bring up the differences in intellect, health, and physical appearance. Those three things pretty much dictate how life turns out for most individuals, and it just so happens that most blacks are considered at the bottom of all three no matter how much money they have.
That’s racist in my opinion. There are beautiful black people, and ugly black people, just as there are beautiful white people and ugly white people. Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.

The health issues are from poverty and not eating healthy foods, and that affects people of all races. And intellect is affected by outside forces like poverty. I know black people that are plenty smart even if they aren’t intellectuals. Look at people like Jay-Z who went from drug dealer to rapper to billionaire businessman because he’s got good business instincts.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Many Indians remain in India. Nothing is wrong with that. They do not have to come to the U.S. just to be an Indian. It is not necessary for Africans, or "African-Americans" to live in the U.S. either. I just have a feeling that the U.S. could turn all white tomorrow and the people remaining would be upset for not having the other race around just for show.
Well....keep in mind what existed in Europe when all there were was whites. It was a rigid class system with a pyramid shape. The elites at the top of the pyramid and a massive base of the poor. The new world of non-whites meant the base could be filled with more non-whites to support more whites in the middle and at the top of the pyramid. Without non-whites.....whites would have to fill the bottom of the pyramid structure.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
What makes you qualified to know and tell black people what will or will not help them? Are you a psychologist, economist, trained in anything like that?

You are just speaking from the EMOTIONS of what you want and don't want to see happen. You don't know what it is like to be black in a white dominated US....so how do you feel you are qualified to tell us what is a solution?
I’m not telling you the solution. I’m telling you what won’t be the solution. Reparations are politically impossible. Even if you get your demographic changes that will end national republican chances, you will have Hispanics in charge and they don’t care about your reparations, even though many of their ancestors come from countries that did far worse with slavery.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I’m not telling you the solution. I’m telling you what won’t be the solution. Reparations are politically impossible. Even if you get your demographic changes that will end national republican chances, you will have Hispanics in charge and they don’t care about your reparations, even though many of their ancestors come from countries that did far worse with slavery.
I think we can agree that reparations will NEVER happen. I would never expect the demographic that oppressed black people.....to then turn around and try to repair the damage they did to black people. I am only speaking of reparations as a hypothetical theory. I am not talking about a detailed plan of how to implement it, how to identify the population, how much it would cost, whether it will ever be approved or any of that. I am just speaking on the POSSIBILITIES and probabilities of such an effort.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:23 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,837,430 times
Kings 21:29 - "Have you murdered and also inherited ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies