Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 10:58 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,713,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My father and mother divorced in 1969, when I was one year old. He lived in Chicago and I lived in Houston. I saw him sometimes at Christmas when we went to my parents’ hometown, and spent two summers with him in Chicago. My mom got a whopping $150/mo in support when my dad decided to pay it, which wasn’t until I was a teenager. There was no child support enforcement agency then like they have now. There was no wage withholding for support like they have now. So no, I did not have that advantage.
So how does any of that prevent you from being inspired by all the images and history of white success and accomplishments? To be white was to be "superior" even if you were poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 10:58 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
So you came into this cold world all alone? No one was there to fed and comfort you? No one was there to instill good work habits in you? No one was there to get you to school, with a lunch?

When people were sold as children they truly did have to depend on the kindness of strangers. When a mother's child was taken from her and sold, she just had to suck it up and comfort herself. Do ya think that might have left an impression that affected everything she said and did for a couple generations?

The shrinks tell us that Holocaust survivors kids take several generations to come to terms with the past. I suspect the same happens with slavery and Jim Crow.

Like one of my kid's teacher pointed out. Take two cars on a racetrack. One can go 70, the other can never exceed 50. After 100 laps, tell the 50 MPH car it can now go 70. How many laps will it need to catch up in the number of laps?
As I’ve said, I had my mother and she did a great job with no help. So yes, I had that. But I’m not wealthy, and that’s okay. I’m not taking handouts so it shouldn’t matter what my situation is, but I’m not in favor of paying for something I did not do and did not benefit from.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
So how does any of that prevent you from being inspired by all the images and history of white success and accomplishments? To be white was to be "superior" even if you were poor.
I wasn’t raised to hate black people. I grew up in the same conditions essentially. I never thought I was superior to anyone.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:01 AM

2,264 posts, read 973,126 times
Reparations? Well, it could be worse. Their ancestors could have been the ones left behind and instead of being presidents, wealthy musicians, athletes or talk show hosts in the U.S. today they could be living in grinding poverty right now in Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Congo, or Gabon.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
As I’ve said, I had my mother and she did a great job with no help. So yes, I had that. But I’m not wealthy, and that’s okay. I’m not taking handouts so it shouldn’t matter what my situation is, but I’m not in favor of paying for something I did not do and did not benefit from.
You are too late.....you do that all the time when you pay taxes and pay for wars and weapons. You mean you don't want to do that for black people.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You are too late.....you do that all the time when you pay taxes and pay for wars and weapons. You mean you don't want to do that for black people.
Your claim that I’m racist has no effect on me. I have no guilt for what happened because I’m not guilty. So whatever.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:09 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
I think this is a divisive measure that will only produce rancor. First, it's going to be a very difficult sell to get through Congress. Second, if implemented, it will create resistance to future constructive measures, as people will feel like they've already paid for the remediation; why do I need to pay more? No, this was paid for in blood; the war is over and peace was settled.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
Reparations? Well, it could be worse. Their ancestors could have been the ones left behind and instead of being presidents, wealthy musicians, athletes or talk show hosts in the U.S. today they could be living in grinding poverty right now in Senegal, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Congo, or Gabon.
Are you serious? Presidents? Obama was NOT a descendant of American slaves.

Anyway, people in African nations are all of those things as well. You have no idea what people would ha e become. Furthermore, no one know how Africans nations would have developed without European interference.

Idiotic statements.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I wasn’t raised to hate black people. I grew up in the same conditions essentially. I never thought I was superior to anyone.
No one mentioned hate. Like I said before, you could easily look at history, the country and the world and be motivated by possibilities born from seeing what people who looked like you have accomplished. Black people are told Africa is a place where everyone is starving and or at war, primitive, corrupt, dependent and having contributed nothing to the world. We are then part of American history as the enslaved and we get inundated with negative images of black people, with the exception of sports and entertainment. We did have, however, the first black president which was great optics for the black psyche, but certainly not enough to offset all the negative programming around blackness.

I am a person who believes in the power of belief. If you believe something strong enough....it can produce a placebo effect. In other words, what people believe deep down inside, about themselves, impacts what they can achieve. It can become a self fulfilling prophesy. If black people are not achieving certain heights, its only because they have been conditioned by what the see not to believe they can be that.

Its like the 4 minute mile. No one could run the mile in less than 4 minutes because everyone was conditioned to believe that it could not be done....until one person did it. Once one person did it, the flood gates opened and others, in short time, started running sub 4 min miles. Blacks in this world are conditioned to believe they are inferior.....just be existing in this world. This is why you can get immigrants from Africa, who have much healthier self images and culture surrounding blackness, who perform better than African Americans.

Old 10-27-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Your claim that I’m racist has no effect on me. I have no guilt for what happened because I’m not guilty. So whatever.
LOL....I never claimed you are racist. I don't know if you are or are not. What I SAID was that you are already doing what you say you are against. The precedent was already set. Hence, since you are already doing it....am I wrong in saying that you don't want to do it for black people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies