Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 10:34 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Bet her poor white family owned the land they lived on. And if they could grow any kind of crop, they could get a loan until the crop came in.

Some people who affiliate with the party of personal responsibility truly believe that all humans start life with the same intellectual skills and talents and family resources. How else could all people pull themselves up by their own boot straps?
I had no family resources, so that blows your argument out of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 10:36 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are you by any change describing your ancestors?
Only if saying "ouch" when whites stepped on my ancestors toes equals racism. Ouch = victim mentality and black racism.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:37 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,589,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Please someone explain to me why I, who had nothing to do with slavery, my grandparents came long after slavery, must pay reparations to people who were not alive when slavery was legal?

And Finally IMHO..The United States has given enough. Race based set aside contracts, affirmative action, college admissions preferences, employment quotas, civil service quotas, and on and on and on. Time for everybody to start pulling their own weight

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-norc-p...120101708.html
There were events long after slavery ended. I was born in the '50s, and I remember the overt discrimination against blacks. Segregation was legal and enforced. Blacks would not be hired for good jobs. I could see that, as a child. I wondered why they put up with it, then I decided that they must agree with it, or they'd do something about it. Well, they did, finally. The Civil Rights Era came upon us.

But people who were held back financially can not recover from that, in most instances. The black person who was paid less in 1970, retires on much less Social Security than you, a white male, would get. Lord only knows the repercussions to that black person who was not even able to get that job in the first place. (I'm here to tell you that he would NOT have gotten that job in Louisiana, where I grew up.)

If the reparations could be handled in a way that's fair, to include all AAs who are descendants of slaves or the Jim Crow era, I'd be okay w/it. I just don't think it can be handled fairly. There are many black people who came to America after the Jim Crow era and were relatively unaffected by that & slavery. In fact, I, a white woman would have suffered more discrimination and financial harm than a black person coming to America in, say, 1970 or later.

BTW, quotas ended years ago, and affirmative action is no longer used except in certain fields (& sometimes when a business or school chooses to). The thing about quotas & aff action are...it only affects those who want that particular job or to go to that school. Which is not most black people.

Few things dictate our future as much as what we were born into. Many rise above poor beginnings, but many do not. So the poor, uneducated black people of the '50s raised poor, uneducated black children, and so on. The American Dream was not for them, so much. And as we all know, the American Dream is no longer widespread for anyone. The other First World countries provide opportunities far outpacing America, now.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You live in a world in which, from day one, everything was created in your image.....as a white person. All the great people of history, Gods son, all those that accomplished something of value to humanity......WAS IN YOUR IMAGE. That is a hell of an inspiration and confidence booster. You know why so many blacks becomes successful at sports.....because they can see countless images of blacks being successful at sports. They learn to believe first and then achieve second. The world you are born into, as a white person, whether your poor or rich....you are conditioned to believe that you can do and be anything.....accept maybe a star running back in the NFL....lol.

People confuse issues of class with issues of race. People sometimes thinking that being poor meant that they had the same struggles as black people. No!. There are some people born into rich black families who may struggle in many ways out of their blackness that a poor white person will not.

We go around the world trying to change countries. We try to turn dictatorships into democracies. We send American troops and sacrifice American lives and spend billions on such efforts. Yet, we tell black people that they have to solve their own problems and that only we can solve them....without the help of government money. Its okay to try solve issues , via lives and money, created BY OTHERS going back 1,000 years, in another part of the world that none of us living in America had anything to do with creating......, but black people have to solve their own problems in America , because the people in America today did not have anything to do with it, the problems are too deep and tough and there is no money for it.

Yeah.....America cannot see it......but black people can clearly see it. We are not wanted nor respected in America, once all the shoes have been shined and all the cotton has been picked. You can dance around all your rationalizations to avoid the moral injury of recognizing who and what you all really are, but we are incredulous.

Save it for the choir.
I had an advantage in that my mother refused to go on public assistance and encouraged me to read and further my education. I didn’t finish college though, which was fine in those days. I still had a good command of English (the reading) and managed to get an okay job, but now that everyone is going to college and companies would prefer college graduates it does hurt me. Oh well, such is life. I don’t expect you to pay for it though.

Another thing she encouraged was getting married before I had kids. It is the single best fix to poverty.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:47 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
But aid is not given for simpathy. It’s given for other reasons. I’m pretty sure all our aid is either to keep countries from attacking each other and to keep our military-industrial complex going. Look at Ukraine. We give them aid so they can buy weapons from us.
Agreed. It is far more than that. However, American aid to Israel is wrapped up in many things, including our international position and also religious convictions. The latter being extremely problematic imho.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:48 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,711,843 times
Quote:
I had an advantage in that my mother refused to go on public assistance and encouraged me to read and further my education. I didn’t finish college though, which was fine in those days. I still had a good command of English (the reading) and managed to get an okay job, but now that everyone is going to college and companies would prefer college graduates it does hurt me. Oh well, such is life. I don’t expect you to pay for it though.
Okay....you had an advantage too, over blacks, because you are white. Everything was created in your image....well....in the image of the white male....which you had as a father, brother, uncle, cousin....to help you out as a white women.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's due to antisemitism, although they try to deny it. There is simply no other viable explanation as to the double standard.
The one with the double standard here is you. It’s such a copout to accuse people of anti-semitism but again, you’re obviously think you’re in the oppression Olympics with African-Americans. That’s why you brought it up in the other thread. Don’t think you won’t get called out here.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:51 AM

23,990 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
I had no family resources, so that blows your argument out of the water.
So you came into this cold world all alone? No one was there to fed and comfort you? No one was there to instill good work habits in you? No one was there to get you to school, with a lunch?

When people were sold as children they truly did have to depend on the kindness of strangers. When a mother's child was taken from her and sold, she just had to suck it up and comfort herself. Do ya think that might have left an impression that affected everything she said and did for a couple generations?

The shrinks tell us that Holocaust survivors kids take several generations to come to terms with the past. I suspect the same happens with slavery and Jim Crow.

Like one of my kid's teacher pointed out. Take two cars on a racetrack. One can go 70, the other can never exceed 50. After 100 laps, tell the 50 MPH car it can now go 70. How many laps will it need to catch up in the number of laps?

Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Okay....you had an advantage too, over blacks, because you are white. Everything was created in your image....well....in the image of the white male....which you had as a father, brother, uncle, cousin....to help you out as a white women.
They also benefit from affirmative action but fight against it when it comes to other races. It’s interesting to say the least.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
My father and mother divorced in 1969, when I was one year old. He lived in Chicago and I lived in Houston. I saw him sometimes at Christmas when we went to my parents’ hometown, and spent two summers with him in Chicago. My mom got a whopping $150/mo in support when my dad decided to pay it, which wasn’t until I was a teenager. There was no child support enforcement agency then like they have now. There was no wage withholding for support like they have now. So no, I did not have that advantage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies