Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 05:46 AM

44 posts, read 34,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
We already had the term "straight" which means the same thing, so why make up another redundant term such as "cisgendered"? Anyone know?

It's a made up propaganda word, just like "gay" and "homophobe." In reality they have no meaning, but in the insane world of the politically correct, it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2019, 02:20 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times
Sex is not assigned at birth, that implies that the doctor/midwife has a choice over which sex to say that the baby is but they do not have a choice, they just observe the sex which had been determined at conception. The term sex assigned at birth comes from intersex history, when doctors used to assign a sex to babies with ambiguous genitalia but nowadays they test the chromosomes and perform scans to check where the gonads are so that they can observe the actual sex of the baby. (sex is still assigned rarely, in the case of individuals with DSDs that have normal presenting genitalia and then when puberty comes and they don't develop in line with their supposed sex - with pre-natal blood testing becoming more common this will become much rarer)

Cisgender is a rather meaningless word, as no one is entirely masculine or feminine therefore no one identifies fully with the gender stereotypes associated with their sex.

Old 11-25-2019, 03:33 PM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
But that is not what we are discussing and that is not what cisgender means. Gender identity is exactly the point - how a person identifies in their mind not what is physically presenting itself. Most of what is being posted here is missing the point. And a person should have the right to be respected as such if that is their mindset instead of mocking them or acting as if it is not real or they are pretending by pointing out their physical reality.
I understand that. Are we just indulging their fantasy or mental illness then? Is it fair to them to play along with their pathology?

Old 11-26-2019, 05:16 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,043,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
But that is not what we are discussing and that is not what cisgender means. Gender identity is exactly the point - how a person identifies in their mind not what is physically presenting itself.
I understand that. Are we just indulging their fantasy or mental illness then? Is it fair to them to play along with their pathology?
In my mind I'm a 6'7" 160 lb. basketball player. If I try to act that out it doesn't end so well. I might as well self-identify as a gender-changed Yellow Lab and decide that the fire hydrants are great places to urinate. Again doesn't end well.

Natural features and role-identification match for a lot of reasons.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:16 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
We already had the term "straight" which means the same thing, so why make up another redundant term such as "cisgendered"? Anyone know?

"Cisgender" does not mean straight.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:20 AM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
"Cisgender" does not mean straight.
If we experience "cisgender" as "straight," who are you to deny us our lived experience?

Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,008,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
We can't even agree on basic, fundamental, readily observable and verifiable facts any more, never mind have any consensus on issues of nuance... and then the people who pushed us to this point can't understand why this country elected as president someone who promised to come in and break everything.

Oh, to the latter, that's easy...............because the other side was so much worse.

Old 11-26-2019, 11:03 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Maybe but who cares? Why is so important to some to try and deny them this reality and change them? If they are not hurting themselves or others how is it not fair to grant them the respect of allowing them to identify as they feel they are? If you can reasonably convince them that they are and then get them to want to freely change their identity then feel free to do so. But being upset that these people are somehow violating some natural rule or religious rule is a waste of time.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 11-26-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-26-2019, 11:08 AM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
In my mind I'm a 6'7" 160 lb. basketball player. If I try to act that out it doesn't end so well. I might as well self-identify as a gender-changed Yellow Lab and decide that the fire hydrants are great places to urinate. Again doesn't end well.

Natural features and role-identification match for a lot of reasons.
But if you wanted to go around doing that I would not deny that you actually were having such issues.

The difference is that your example does not capture the degree or numbers of people that have this phenomenon. If many people were to identify as something opposite of a physical attribute and society and scientists noticed such phenomenon and gave it a definition and a term why is this a problem with people?

It seems this is just fear and lack of understanding of the range of what the human mind is capable of and instead trying to force people into the old narrow ignorant views often born out of stupid religious leaders and their so-called 'sacred' texts and beliefs.

Old 11-27-2019, 12:47 PM

9,985 posts, read 5,689,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgressiveMindedParent View Post
Shiloh, I commend you for wanting to stand up for people who ID as trans but make no mistake, the concerns are often not at all born out of religious dogma. In fact, religious people have been known to transition their effeminate boys because they would rather have a "trans daughter" than an effeminate or gay son. Just another form of conversion therapy.
Oh sure, happens every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies