Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2019, 09:19 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,955,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Quid Pro Quo is Latin for bribery.
Correct but apparently Democrat focus groups and polls told them Bribery sounded better and it would resonate more with the general public.

These people are pathetic.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:22 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Quid Pro Quo is Latin for bribery.
No it's not.

It literally just means "something for something" so any exchange of one thing for another is a "quid pro quo"

Bribery would be one example of an illegal quid pro quo, but most quid pro quo scenarios are not bribery....and aren't illegal.

If you go to the store and buy a loaf of bread, you've engaged in quid pro quo.

Glad I could clear this up.

Old 11-19-2019, 09:33 PM

2,002 posts, read 762,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then tell me why Republicans won't answer the elephant in the living room: Why did Trump withhold the aid after Congress appropriated the funds??? Republicans are twisting themselves in a knot avoiding answering that question, talking about Biden, Burisma, Lt. Col. Vindman's loyalty to the United States, the whistleblower, and avoiding that very uncomfortable question they can't answer without facing some equally uncomfortable facts. It all boils down to one answer to one question. Trump himself never released the aid; the state Department did after John Bolton authorized it, and after John Bolton authorized it when it had already been delayed 55 days, he was fired. Why was it held up (along with the meeting), if not for Trump's requirement that his "favor" be met?
In my opinion, at this point your “elephant” is immaterial. He doesn’t have to prove his innocence. Your side has to prove his guilt. The fact y’all can’t even establish Ukraine new aid was being held up during the most damning telephone call ever made on July 25th is a case closed.

He can make up any excuse now, he was worried about corruption and with the new regime he wasn’t releasing aid until they showed a good faith effort to start combatting the problem. Here’s two instances, do something. You can’t prove is intent was bribery, so prove I’m reasoning or intent was criminal. You can’t. Your case is dead.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:17 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBouy View Post
In my opinion, at this point your “elephant” is immaterial. He doesn’t have to prove his innocence. Your side has to prove his guilt. The fact y’all can’t even establish Ukraine new aid was being held up during the most damning telephone call ever made on July 25th is a case closed.

He can make up any excuse now, he was worried about corruption and with the new regime he wasn’t releasing aid until they showed a good faith effort to start combatting the problem. Here’s two instances, do something. You can’t prove is intent was bribery, so prove I’m reasoning or intent was criminal. You can’t. Your case is dead.
The aid was delayed the day of the phone call. This has been widely reported.
Quote:
OMB made the hold official through an apportionment document it distributed internally on July 25, the same day as the controversial call between Trump and Zelenskiy
https://www.defensenews.com/congress...ys-hasc-chair/

There are many more witnesses to testify. Nobody wants to try it in the press so you have to be patient and let this thing evolve. Schiff is working his way through all the witnesses.

I thought today was pretty damaging to Trump - the witnesses called by the Pubs basically testified against Trump. That's not good.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 PM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
What I got from the two or so hours I heard today - and I haven't been following this at all up until today - was there was parallel diplomacy (per Morrison) going on spearheaded by Giiuliani and Trump's wish to investigate the Bidens which had nothing whatsoever to do with the 2016 election but about which he is fixated - and this parallel diplomacy had undercut the efforts by the legitimate ambassador and other legitimate officials to a broker a meeting between Trump/Zelensky - and that none of them could understand why Trump was so recalcitrant and foot-dragging on the meeting - and, even worse - none of them knew that security financial aid had been withheld for almost two months- until the official diplomacy team learned of Giuliani's backdoor whispering to Trump fueling Trump's chronic paranoia about the 2016 election and Trump vindictively wanting political leverage against Biden, triggering Trump and Giuliani's clumsy efforts to extort the Ukrainians through Sondland intervention and then the phone call further implying financial aid as leverage - which, when the team finally read the transcript of the call - FINALLY- explained to the official legitimate team why a meeting couldn't be arranged and that aid had been withheld. Only when Trump's extortion efforts via phone raised alarm bells among WH aides and others was the aid released - the release of this aid is why Trump fired Bolton - and then the meeting with Zelensky took place.

If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck - it is a duck. In other words, Trump is a narcissistic, self-serving, back-stabbing crook. But, we all knew that.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-19-2019 at 11:58 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What I got from the one-two hours I heard today - and I haven't been following this at all up until today - was there was parallel diplomacy (per Morrison) going on spearheaded by Giiuliani and Trump's wish to investigate the Bidens which had nothing whatsoever to do with the 2016 election but about which he is fixated - and this parallel diplomacy had undercut the efforts by the legitimate ambassador and other legitimate officials to a broker a meeting between Trump/Zelensky - and that none of them could understand why Trump was so recalcitrant and foot-dragging on the meeting - and, even worse - none of them knew why security financial aid had been withheld for almost two months- until the official diplomacy team learned of Giuliani's backdoor whispering to Trump fuelingTrump's paranoia about the 2016 election and Trump vindictively wanting political leverage against Biden, triggering Trump and Giuliani's clumsy efforts to extort the Ukrainians through Sondland intervention and then the phone call further implying financial aid as leverage - which, when the team finally read the transcript of the call - FINALLY- explained to the official legitimate team why why a meeting couldn't be arranged and why aid had been withheld. Only when Trump's extortion efforts were revealed in the press was the aid released - the release of this aid is why Trump fired Bolton who didn't want any part of a 'drug deal' - and then the meeting with Zelensky took place.

If it looks, walks and quacks like a duck - it is a duck.
I would be ready to see some attacks and being told you are wrong and Trump did nothing wrong. I don't think Trump did but it is the Trump supporter MO.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:46 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,103,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The aid was delayed the day of the phone call. This has been widely reported.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress...ys-hasc-chair/

There are many more witnesses to testify. Nobody wants to try it in the press so you have to be patient and let this thing evolve. Schiff is working his way through all the witnesses.

I thought today was pretty damaging to Trump - the witnesses called by the Pubs basically testified against Trump. That's not good.
How? They all said there was no evidence of bribery or “prid quo pro”

Being “concerned” is not evidence of any kind of nefarious behavior

Old 11-20-2019, 12:03 AM

25,573 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I would be ready to see some attacks and being told you are wrong and Trump did nothing wrong. I don't think Trump did but it is the Trump supporter MO.
Of course, he did. Trump - for months - withheld US money allocated by Congress for foreign aid to Ukraine in order to extort personal political gain. Both Goldman and Castor speak very clearly. They aren't hard to understand, nor were the answers of Volker and Morrison. Unbeknownst to Volker/Morrison, the Volker/Morrison efforts were undercut and contravened by the clandestine Giulani/Sondland back-channeling. Volker/Morrison were puzzled and frustrated because they couldn't make any progress - the reasons for which became obvious when the phone call transcript was released. Couldn't be more clear.

Old 11-20-2019, 12:52 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Correct but apparently Democrat focus groups and polls told them Bribery sounded better and it would resonate more with the general public.

These people are pathetic.
Yes they are pathetic with their Impeachment about Nothing....TDS is a *****. The good news is that they are setting up a Trump and Republican landslide in 2020

Old 11-20-2019, 02:18 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
How? They all said there was no evidence of bribery or “prid quo pro”
Exactly. They've all testified that there was no bribery or QPQ. This is going nowhere. The longer this goes on, the worse the Dems look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies