Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 10:24 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times

Advertisements

I don't get this whole the world is going to end phenomenon. Gays are getting married, they are going to pervert our kid's minds. They are going to force their lifestyles on everybody else. If you aren't gay, you aren't gay. If a kid sees a same sex couple they won't repeat that lifestyle simply because they see it if they aren't gay. It must suck to be afraid of this many things. Not everyone is weak willed. As Bill Maher said, "the people with a lot of anti-gay **** coming out of their mouths, probably have a lot of gay **** going in it".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 10:32 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
Marriage is a religious ceremony.

Civil unions are legal and thus perfectly acceptable. It is true that in a committed relationship, the ability to enjoy the same rights and benefits, regardless of the gender of your partner, as those who are married in a religious service must be upheld.
Not true. Civil unions are not federally recognized. A civil marriage is what carries the same rights and benefits, but that was denied to same sex couples until a few years ago. The religious ceremony is just an add on, if you only have a religious ceremony with no civil marriage license you are not legally married.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:36 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,761,687 times
Quote:

Civil unions are legal and thus perfectly acceptable. It is true that in a committed relationship, the ability to enjoy the same rights and benefits, regardless of the gender of your partner, as those who are married in a religious service must be upheld.
Um no.

All legal marriages in the US are civil unions.

If people choose to also have a religious marriage, they can. But a church marriage is not legally valid unless there is also a civil union.

I think people get confused on this point because most pastors are empowered to grant a legal marriage certificate.

Old 11-20-2019, 10:48 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Notice how both Red and Blue haven't focused on that part of the story?

Authoritarians stick together.
Title 13, U.S. Code:
Quote:
The Census Bureau is bound by Title 13 of the United States Code. These laws not only provide authority for the work we do, but also provide strong protection for the information we collect from individuals and businesses.

Title 13 provides the following protections to individuals and businesses:

Private information is never published. It is against the law to disclose or publish any private information that identifies an individual or business such, including names, addresses (including GPS coordinates), Social Security Numbers, and telephone numbers.
The Census Bureau collects information to produce statistics. Personal information cannot be used against respondents by any government agency or court.
Census Bureau employees are sworn to protect confidentiality. People sworn to uphold Title 13 are legally required to maintain the confidentiality of your data. Every person with access to your data is sworn for life to protect your information and understands that the penalties for violating this law are applicable for a lifetime.
Violating the law is a serious federal crime. Anyone who violates this law will face severe penalties, including a federal prison sentence of up to five years, a fine of up to $250,000, or both.
imagine a snoopy neighbor coming over and demanding to know how many people live in your home, what are their ages, sex, race, career, etc.? You'd quickly and correctly tell them to take a hike.
Give that same snoop a govt ID badge and you could be robbed and thrown in a cage for 5 years for doing the same

Free society my ***

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 11-20-2019 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-20-2019, 11:09 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
How can the Census Bureau determine which same sex people living together are homosexual couples and which are simply roommates living together to save on rent or some other practical reason?

I personally have known at least a half-dozen people who were absolutely heterosexual who temporarily lived with a person of the same sex for many months. Even if a residence has just one bedroom, many poor people end up with someone regularly using the sofa as a bed.

(However, granted, it does seem likely that two people are gay if they have been living together for at least a couple of years, and both people are over 25 or so.)
I know several same sex households that have been living together for decades. A few are in their 70’s. A few are siblings. I don’t make assumptions and their orientation is none of my business.

This country has long bestowed unique privileges and benefits on married heterosexual couples, especially survivors, whether married or not at the time of death of one party. I view SSM as a civil right.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:10 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You can spin it all you want to defend homosexuality but if you believe in God

marriage is covenant between a man and a woman that become one flesh. The marriage of homosexuals and lesbians, men with men and women with women, is an abomination against God and a perversion against nature.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy...-households-us
Many people in the U.S. do not believe in God. Many do, and have no problem with homosexuality. In any event, same sex marriage is legal, and there's not a lot you or anyone else can do about that. I guess perversion would be in the eye of the beholder. Thank goodness we're not a theocracy. Yet.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:13 AM

25,461 posts, read 9,817,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I disagree, as a Christian (follower of Jesus Christ, who never said a bad word about homosexuals) and one who tries to follow the 10 Commandments (nothing in there against homosexuals either).

But this belongs in the Religion Forum. In the US we don't make laws based on religious beliefs.
Thank you for that! It's good to see a Christian with tolerance and understanding of how our laws work. Thankfully, I know many Christians like you.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:

My state issued and signed by our minister marriage license established a legal partnership. The vows we made before the minister, the congregation and G-D were the religious part. That had nothing to do with legal.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:22 AM

2,180 posts, read 641,103 times
The most reliable surveys on sexuality put the number of gay people at 3-5% of the population, or roughly 10 million to 16 million people in a country of 330 million.

This is about the same throughout the world where accurate statistics can be found, except where admitting as such can get you thrown off a building or stoned.

1MM households then would be only a portion of the total counted, then.

Old 11-20-2019, 11:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,226,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
You mean, your version of God? Your perversion and interpretation of what God is and what God thinks? Glad to see you're also a sinner with your excessive pride.
Yes, the "if you believe in God" BS.

I believe in God, and I believe He will be deciding my fate, and the fate of all His children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies