Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 12:41 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Um no.

All legal marriages in the US are civil unions.

If people choose to also have a religious marriage, they can. But a church marriage is not legally valid unless there is also a civil union.

I think people get confused on this point because most pastors are empowered to grant a legal marriage certificate.
Possibly, but I don't think that poster is confused re that, but rather is hung up on marriage being between one man and one woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 12:44 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
There is a box for roommate.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ent/p3/a414347

The question is on page 3 question 3.
Wow, that is really interesting, and thanks for posting! I had no idea that this kind of detailed question was being asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Title 13, U.S. Code:
imagine a snoopy neighbor coming over and demanding to know how many people live in your home, what are their ages, sex, race, career, etc.? You'd quickly and correctly tell them to take a hike.

Give that same snoop a govt ID badge and you could be robbed and thrown in a cage for 5 years for doing the same

Free society my ***
I think that the government truly is Big Brother now. Although I don't object to a census, I think it should be limited to just the basic names of people in a household along with their age and sex, and their relationship to whoever is listed as the head of household -- which I think should be limited to: spouse, child, parent, other relative, or "other" (period). However, I would not object to listing the general total household income without going into detail, and whether all members speak English (and if not, what the primary language is of each member), as these questions might identify what services might benefit many members of a community. But other than that? Nope.

(I also don't see why any kind of race or ancestry question is relevant these days, with fewer and fewer people being 100 percent "anything" as it applies to ancestry.)

Last edited by katharsis; 11-20-2019 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-20-2019, 12:56 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
then civil unions could and should be federally recognized.

I feel certain that folks got married for centuries before any license was created.
As a country, we are not a theocracy.

I'm a straight single man, but I've heard straight married people who support SSM say (tongue in cheek re their own marriages) 'they (people in SS relationships) have every right to be as miserable as we are'.

Why do you care at all what kind of marriage someone else wants to have? No one is requiring you to have any kind of marriage other than the one you want to have.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,354,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Title 13, U.S. Code:
imagine a snoopy neighbor coming over and demanding to know how many people live in your home, what are their ages, sex, race, career, etc.? You'd quickly and correctly tell them to take a hike.
Give that same snoop a govt ID badge and you could be robbed and thrown in a cage for 5 years for doing the same

Free society my ***
Look at the tone and overall posturing of that edict. It's sickening and disturbing.

Yet here we are, several pages later, and both teams are still fixated on my genitals and where they go each day.

Statism is cancer. A brain drain. You lose all sense of individuality and empathy for your fellow man.

Sickos.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:05 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
You can spin it all you want to defend homosexuality but if you believe in God

marriage is covenant between a man and a woman that become one flesh. The marriage of homosexuals and lesbians, men with men and women with women, is an abomination against God and a perversion against nature.

https://www.rollcall.com/news/policy...-households-us
I am astonished there are still people that have this thought process. Not everyone believes in God, let alone your God.

My God? Just wants people to be good human beings. My God? Created people that are gay.

Are you saying that God made an error creating someone who is gay? People don't choose to be gay, they are born that way.

I hope one day you see the light.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:11 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,972,151 times
Quote:
I feel certain that folks got married for centuries before any license was created.
Ever since humans began writing down laws, the state has been heavily involved in marriage. Old Hammurabi has tablet after tablet dealing with marriage, divorce, property rights, rights of widows, yadda yadda yadda. It has always been a matter for the government as well as what religion was prevalent. (Obviously, sometimes government and church would overlap considerably.)

Old 11-20-2019, 01:17 PM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce1 View Post
Why?

Why not normalize it?
Why do we want generations of people growing up with this ridiculous belief that gay people are "wrong" or "weird" or "unnatural"?
Again, it is a VERY small percentage of the population, and shouldn't be promoted, and glorified like Education, the Media, and Entertainment are doing. Nobody is saying to call them "wrong", or "weird".

Old 11-20-2019, 01:31 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
The most reliable surveys on sexuality put the number of gay people at 3-5% of the population, or roughly 10 million to 16 million people in a country of 330 million.

This is about the same throughout the world where accurate statistics can be found, except where admitting as such can get you thrown off a building or stoned.

1MM households then would be only a portion of the total counted, then.
It only counts gay or lesbian couples that are living together, not all of those that live on their own.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,312,506 times
My daughter legally married her wife when NYS recognized Gay Marriage. Today even the Federal Government recognizes their marriage. Census questions asks, "Are you married or single?" My daughter and her wife can site on a Census record that they are legally married.

Yes, you can have platonic roommates,but also gay and straight couples just living together without the sanctions of Holy Matrimony,and of course, Atheist straight couples as well, and they haven't for generations.

DIL had IVF and they now have a son, my third grandchild. They have a family; not included in the census? Straight, married couples don't use IVF to have famiiles? My Grandson's BC says Parent #1 and Parent #1. HOWEVER, when I had to get a new BC for Social Security, mine from 1948 also says the same. Think I CARE? No, I applaud that. Welcome to Diversity, and the 21st Century.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:32 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
then civil unions could and should be federally recognized.

We tried that, but many state decided to deny same sex couple civil unions too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies