Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 09:23 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The thing is, the gun nuts say they should bear arms to guard against state/government tyranny.

Then I say: Cool, we can use our guns against the tyrannical treasonous administration headed by Trump.

Gun nuts:

Violence from the left.

Theoretical protection such as having a spare tire of fire extinguisher or life insurance policy vs specific threat against a sitting president.

Imagine the havoc if someone substituted Obama for trump, as in the op. NYTs would lead with 'threat against the president!" FBI would descend upon the poster. msnbc would charge the threat was made by a republican conservative

moderators on CD would see nothing wrong when trump is threatened
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 09:25 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Can't win em' all. RIP brave gunslinger.
So say the healthcare personnel when they lose a patient in their care.

So say the surgeons when they lose a patient on the table.

Banning surgery would stop all deaths occurring during surgical procedures.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:26 AM

15,534 posts, read 10,510,396 times
You never know, just depends on what chance you want to take. Doesn't always mean it will end up well. Personally, I'd rather be armed than not.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:29 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I have no clue (nor will I click on) what website you linked from "chron".
However rest assured for every story about good guys trying to stop thwart bad guys without success, law abiding citizens use firearms to legally stop potential crime far more than you might imagine.

The NRA publishes a monthly account of news stories gathered from around the country giving examples of men & women using CC firearms or those used in home defense.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

It is not biased reporting, as it only quotes local news stories from around the nation giving multiple examples every single month.

`
Do they publish accounts of toddlers shooting dad`s wife or just the stories with happy endings?

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...nty/1010124892

Old 11-22-2019, 09:48 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,737,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is another rule, which is the fact that a concealed weapons license does not make you a police officer. If you see a robbery, you call the cops, and let the store owner recoup his losses from insurance. Don't play John Wayne in a pawn shop, especially if its not even your shop.

This was stressed many times when I took the concealed carry class.

Yes this is wonderful. Everyone do nothing and just let...enable..... the criminal and make the insurance company eat it. (end sarcasm).

Old 11-22-2019, 09:59 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,278,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcarguy View Post
Yes this is wonderful. Everyone do nothing and just let...enable..... the criminal and make the insurance company eat it. (end sarcasm).
Do what you want Captain America.

I concealed carry to protect myself and things or people I care about. I don't carry to protect some company I don't care about from getting robbed. If that company doesnt want to be robbed, they can provide their own security, if people there want to defend themselves that's their right, if the don't it's not my responsibility to defend them.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:17 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travis t View Post
From the story, it sounds like the robbers were about to exit the store. The employees had complied and nobody had been shot. The way it should be. The concealed-carry guy was standing at the front of the store and presumably could have run out the door at any time.

This shows that guns are not the answer. Experts will tell you that having a gun just adds to the violence. How can that possibly be a good thing?

It sounds like this is a high crime area. There should not be gun shops in a high crime area anyway.
So now, you are deciding where a person should have their business? You should run for emperor.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:19 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,135,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
That is a perfect example of the fallacy that all gun carriers are able to effectively protect themselves in a panic situation. I have sharpshooter medals from the service, and am a pretty good shot, but, after years of not touching my guns, I would be very rusty and probably bungle the job, if I had to react.

Trained professionals PRACTICE all the time to keep their skills honed, most average Joes and Janes THINK they are capable, but when they are faced with an emergency situation, they freeze or even shoot bystanders by mistake. Have there been times when a gun carrier did successfully shoot some perp ? Sure, but those are rare times, compared to it going the other way.

Last place I want to be is in a crowd when some good Samaritan tries to play John Wayne, and sprays bullets all over the place.
Go to a gun range with cops. Most can barely hit a life size paper target. One gun guy on here says he has to help them pass to keep their job every year.
Really look at the cops you see. The majority are so fat they can barely run.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:38 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,238,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Violence from the left.

Theoretical protection such as having a spare tire of fire extinguisher or life insurance policy vs specific threat against a sitting president.

Imagine the havoc if someone substituted Obama for trump, as in the op. NYTs would lead with 'threat against the president!" FBI would descend upon the poster. msnbc would charge the threat was made by a republican conservative

moderators on CD would see nothing wrong when trump is threatened

The sarcasm went right over your head, didn't it?

A little off topic but honestly, you guys can't blame Hollywood for not trusting right-wingers with creating humor. Just look at many of the right-wing's complete lack of it.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:44 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,565,307 times
This is a big problem, many people who own guns think they will act like dirty Harry and stand cool and collected while shooting and killing any criminal that comes their way thus making them the hero they always wanted to be. And now this wannabe hero is dead because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies