Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 11:45 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times

Advertisements

If I was those Houses, I'd get me some mean dogs to protect against those Arsonist AntiFa types.

Really big dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 11:47 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I admit that I'm very intolerant towards anything glorifying the old plantation way of life. I make no apologies for it. As someone who is a descendant of slaves, I have no respect for it.
You must hate living in Atlanta.

Old 12-11-2019, 11:47 AM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'd argue that it's less stupid than that, but your point is perfect.

A diverse society - in the white western world, at least - always has to accommodate and spend inordinate amounts of time placating the feelings of minorities who feel resentful about being minorities. Sometimes grievances are legitimate. Often, they are not. Often it borders on exploitation of minority status in the face of compassion for minorities found primarily in white societies. Placating the more stupid elements of grievance politics usually works so long as everyone (the adults in the room) plays along while knowing better.

The problem becomes when people start adopting ridiculous viewpoints themselves.

Kind of like adults playing along with Santa Claus to keep the kids happy vs. starting to believe in Santa Claus themselves.

Years ago 20/20 or something similar (probably before or around 2000) ran a special about "black urban legends" that had a room of supposedly educated people talking about how things like the Boston tea party depictions on a Snapple bottle was actually a slave ship. Or talking about Church's chicken using ingredients to sterilize black men. Or talking about the Kosher "K" on food representing the KKK.

Back then it was presented as examples of misinformation and silly delusion. Today it would probably be indulged, and Snapple would have to go on twitter to apologize for the offense it caused.

Last edited by AHenriques1147; 12-11-2019 at 12:03 PM..

Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
My history is a little bit rusty, but I was under the impression that the plantations freed all their slaves?
Not necessarily willingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is the thing. Turning an old plantation into a B&B, that is one thing. Trying to glorify the old plantation culture, I couldn't do that. I could preserve the old plantation, and use it to teach people what really happened, show plantation culture for what it is. Plantation-theme weddings, I could never do.
I understand the objections to having a wedding or any kind of party at a former plantation. But in the process of using the former plantation as a teaching tool - which many do quite well, with much of the focus on the people enslaved there - the owners of the property have to pay the bills. In order to preserve history, you have to maintain the buildings and the grounds. Renting the property out for weddings, movie locations, etc., helps provide the money to maintain the property that provides the history lesson. Stepping into the cabin that once housed enslaved people during a tour led by their descendants provides a much better lesson than reading about it in a book or seeing it on film or TV.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:12 PM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
A diverse society - in the white western world, at least - always has to accommodate and spend inordinate amounts of time placating the feelings of minorities who feel resentful about being minorities. Placating stupidity usually works so long as everyone (the adults in the room) plays along while knowing better.

The problem becomes when people start adopting ridiculous viewpoints themselves.

Kind of like adults playing along with Santa Claus to keep the kids happy vs. starting to believe in Santa Claus themselves.

Years ago 20/20 or something similar (probably before or around 2000) ran a special about "black urban legends" that had a room of supposedly educated people talking about how things like the Boston tea party depictions on a Snapple bottle was actually a slave ship. Or talking about Church's chicken using ingredients to sterilize black men. Or talking about the Kosher "K" on food representing the KKK.

Back then it was presented as examples of misinformation and silly delusion. Today it would probably be indulged, and Snapple would have to go on twitter to apologize for the offense it caused.
You know....it seems that not a month goes by where I do not hear of some black man being released from prison, after decades, once new evidence proves he did not commit the crime he was accused of. Not once, as a result of the police, courts and "system" getting it wrong do I hear people on the right ready to discredit, throw out or scrap the system.

When it comes to blacks there is a different standard. We have to get it right ALWAYS. If we falsely accuse of racism or are overly sensitive about something benign, it gets used to caste aspersion on all claims of racism and all issues blacks are sensitive about. In short, when blacks get it wrong, intentionally or unintentionally, the right will employ the argument fallacy of composition to suggest that in general, what blacks are claiming is false.

Yes....there will be false claims of racism and over sensitive reactions to certain things. However, you can't throw the black baby out with the dirty bath water. That is the nature of our society.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not necessarily willingly.

I understand the objections to having a wedding or any kind of party at a former plantation. But in the process of using the former plantation as a teaching tool - which many do quite well, with much of the focus on the people enslaved there - the owners of the property have to pay the bills. In order to preserve history, you have to maintain the buildings and the grounds. Renting the property out for weddings, movie locations, etc., helps provide the money to maintain the property that provides the history lesson. Stepping into the cabin that once housed enslaved people during a tour led by their descendants provides a much better lesson than reading about it in a book or seeing it on film or TV.
You don't need a plantation for history lessons about plantations. I could not care less if they can't pay the bills on the plantation....to be honest. They are just tourist attractions.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:19 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
This is total and utter BS caused by idiot and ahole liberal snowflakes

These beautiful mansions (and statues) are reminders that we survived the inequities of the past and moved on to build a better country

Old 12-11-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This is total and utter BS caused by idiot and ahole liberal snowflakes

These beautiful mansions (and statues) are reminders that we survived the inequities of the past and moved on to build a better country
We survived the inequities of the past and moved to the inequities of today....with blacks still far behind.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:23 PM

2,180 posts, read 640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You know....it seems that not a month goes by where I do not hear of some black man being released from prison, after decades, once new evidence proves he did not commit the crime he was accused of. Not once, as a result of the police, courts and "system" getting it wrong do I hear people on the right ready to discredit, throw out or scrap the system.
Don't compare your constant whinging and grievance mongering to an imperfect justice system.

No systems on earth are perfect. All systems are subject to abuse.

What YOU need to do is stop pretending that your blackness is the central theme or reason why "the right" does or does not care about something.

Plenty of white men get caught up in "the system," and the right still doesn't call for a fundamental overhaul. If there were no black men in America, the right would STILL maintain its general positions on the vast majority - if not all - social issues.

The psychology of right v. left on most issues exists irrespective of your existence as a black man. We know this because they are the same issues that exist in every society on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant
When it comes to blacks there is a different standard. We have to get it right ALWAYS. If we falsely accuse of racism or are overly sensitive about something benign, it gets used to caste aspersion on all claims of racism and all issues blacks are sensitive about. In short, when blacks get it wrong, intentionally or unintentionally, the right will employ the argument fallacy of composition to suggest that in general, what blacks are claiming is false.

Yes....there will be false claims of racism and over sensitive reactions to certain things. However, you can't throw the black baby out with the dirty bath water. That is the nature of our society.

You've started to overplay your hands. Trump, Brexit, the rise of the right wing in Europe and even other non-European nations suggests the tolerance level for your foolishness is about to hit a barrier with the pendulum about to swing the other way.

And if you think "America becoming browner" is going to improve your situation.... I suggest you try being a black man anywhere else in the non-white world and see what your prospects might be.

That's the deliciousness of all of this. Non-white societies are magnitudes worse for black people to exist in (except of course other black societies).... and yet you think it's going to be "black and brown against the town." Travel a bit more. Live a bit more. Learn a bit more.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:29 PM

17,587 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
In other words do what was done in the novel 1984, shove it down the Memory Hole and pretend that it didn't exist.

These were "plantations." Live with it. A "plantation" does not mean "mansion" by the way.

What a total load of PC fascist BS. No wonder people have come to hate political correctness when it has deteriorated to this.

The Russians did it also. Just look at the may day photos on the Kremlin wall and see who was erased from the photos (imagine what they could do with Photoshop)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies