Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 05:53 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

If you're gonna publicize the Battle of the Bulge, surely an American Army unit could choose a better picture to commemorate the sacrifices of our soldiers than him.

The fact that this Nazi was part of one unsavory aspect of the battle is irrelevant, and seems like some are missing the point. Maybe some SJW's are upset but for the wrong reasons.

I think the picture is stupid because again a better picture would be of our soldiers, like the article I linked to in the Military section discussing the battle. The picture in that article is of a line of American soldiers waiting to get served some hot chow in the snow and cold.

Last edited by Suburban_Guy; 12-18-2019 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: Edited to add: Just saw KenFresno's picture above and HE gets it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:55 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
If you're gonna publicize the Battle of the Bulge, surely an American Army unit could choose a better picture to commemorate the sacrifices of our soldiers than him.

The fact that this Nazi was part of one unsavory aspect of the battle is irrelevant, and seems like some are missing the point. Maybe some SJW's are upset but for the wrong reasons.

I think the picture is stupid because again a better picture would be of our soldiers, like the article I linked to in the Military section discussing the battle. The picture in that article is of a line of American soldiers waiting to get served some hot chow in the snow and cold.
I respect your opinion, but I think everybody is just thinking a little bit too much. Certainly nobody needs to be offended by it.
Yikes.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:00 PM

9,897 posts, read 3,433,006 times
The Left is so disingenuous. On any other day they would decry the United States as an illegitimate, incorrigibly racist nation and heap hate on the white males of the WWII generation.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:21 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:

Peiper was the architect of what became the Battle of the Bulge and also in command of the units that were pushing through the Allied lines. He was a soldier, and no historical reference to that battle would be anywhere near complete without mentioning him prominently.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:28 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Peiper was the architect of what became the Battle of the Bulge and also in command of the units that were pushing through the Allied lines. He was a soldier, and no historical reference to that battle would be anywhere near complete without mentioning him prominently.
Doesn't change the fact that this was an American Army unit that is commemorating the battle, and architect or not, when you are honoring your soldiers, you don't use a picture like that to do so.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:35 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Maybe next Dec 7th we can honor Mitsuo Fuchida who led the aerial attacks at Pearl Harbor?

Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 PM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that this was an American Army unit that is commemorating the battle, and architect or not, when you are honoring your soldiers, you don't use a picture like that to do so.

Wrong. You honor your soldiers by telling the truth about the enemy they defeated, and showing evidence of that enemy, including pictures.

Next, you'll want to ban pictures of Ho Chi Minh, Cornwallis, Crazy Horse, etc.

You are beyond ridiculous.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe next Dec 7th we can honor Mitsuo Fuchida who led the aerial attacks at Pearl Harbor?
well, showing his photo is not a bad idea. I am sure not a lot of people know what he looked like.

I don't know why so many people think showing a photo = honoring. =) ... but then again, I don't over analyze things and I don't get offended often.

Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Maybe not. But it would be useful to know who he was.

Old 12-18-2019, 07:04 PM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Maybe not. But it would be useful to know who he was.
You can use the internet. Lots of good stuff on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies