Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:31 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times

Advertisements

Isn't this akin to commemorating battle's against Isis by putting Isis leaders looking regal/badass on the back of a truck? I mean I get the outrage, all you have to do is move it to modern times and you could see how this is a direct insult to those who served. Imagine losing your arm in battle going on your facebook page and seeing the evil prick who blasted your arm off being commemorated by your own side... To me that's just evil, and I would see why people would get angry.

Maybe time "heals" wounds and in 40 years we will be talking about the excellent guerrilla tactics of ISIS War Generals, and this thing repeats itself. But for those that lost a buddy, an arm or a piece of their mental state this is legitimately triggering isn't, and I don't mean triggering in the SJW way but in the mental disorder way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 09:31 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,242,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i guess he's ok with letting 4chan trolls dictate what can and cannot be spoken or signified.
The 4chan trolls didn't dictate what the hand signal meant. The white nationalist did when they took the joke and decided to make it real. The stupidity of the 4chan folks was thinking they had control over the meaning of the hand signal to begin with. The white nationalist used 4chan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
maybe the 4chan miscreants can convince the world that the name Ken has white power connotations, that should be hysterical.
Sure. Not sure how that would effect me since my name isn't actually Ken just like your name isn't actually uggabugga.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:39 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think people choose to see what they want to see. (We all do it, so it is just human nature, I guess)

according to the article,

The Airborne Corps said in a Facebook post on Tuesday morning that the “intent was to tell the full story of the Battle of the Bulge, which will continue here, by explaining the incredible odds that were stacked up against the American Soldier by the time the reserve was called in on 18 Dec.”

The photo may be offensive or inappropriate, but I highly doubt the person posted the photo had a bad intention. A careless mistake, may be, especially in such a political or social climate, (one can say they should've known better than that) but promoting or honoring white supremacist or celebrating Nazi war criminals? Come on.
Whether the person meant it or not, it still seem pretty heinous to me if you just look at it from modern perspective. The photo of Bin Laden on the first page says everything. Imagine in 40 years being a vet losing people seeing him on the official facebook page commemorating a battle in the Iraq War. I agree their is a point in time where it becomes okay to talk about wars like grocery shopping and WW2 is on the edge of that but at least wait till the soldiers are dead and gone before we start bringing up how smart and great the enemy was in routing them this way. I.E it's okay to talk about the great Civil War Generals it isn't okay to talk about how Great the Taliban are at outmaneuvering America.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:46 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Whether the person meant it or not, it still seem pretty heinous to me if you just look at it from modern perspective. The photo of Bin Laden on the first page says everything. Imagine in 40 years being a vet losing people seeing him on the official facebook page commemorating a battle in the Iraq War. I agree their is a point in time where it becomes okay to talk about wars like grocery shopping and WW2 is on the edge of that but at least wait till the soldiers are dead and gone before we start bringing up how smart and great the enemy was in routing them this way. I.E it's okay to talk about the great Civil War Generals it isn't okay to talk about how Great the Taliban are at outmaneuvering America.

well, I do understand the point you were making. I've said what I said and really have nothing else to add at this point.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:57 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I respect your opinion, but with google, I think most people would know exactly who Peiper was and what he has done. I can only speak for myself, I highly doubt the person who posted the photo has an evil intent, I doubt he/she wanted to honor a white supremacist Nazi war criminal. By the way, not everything is about Trump.

hmm, I can't speak for anybody else, my fiance and my brother are both combat vets. My two uncles are vets (not combat vets), my fiance's father is a combat vet, his two brothers are combat vets, his grandfather was a ww2 combat vet (passed away several years ago) I doubt any of them would be offended by somebody's careless action. Intention is everything. Many of the combat veterans in my opinion have a very twisted humor. I don't think anybody can really speak for ALL of them. Certainly many would find the photo to be offensive, many would not. ALL their opinions should be acknowledged and respected. After all, we are who we are through experiences.

according to this article,

"However, not everyone was outraged by the posting. Boris Stern, an Army veteran of the Battle of the Bulge, told Military Times he was not really concerned about the posting after learning about the incident."

This said, whether or not this photo should be posted is debatable.

To me, this means nothing more than a picture to a name that is historic in context. The story is well-known, who the players were are largely in our heads. The photo brings a sense of factual realism. It seems some have become too sensitive to even look at a historic photo.

All these said, I understand why this photo can be viewed as inappropriate and potentially offensive by many. There are better ways to remember the history or to honor the ww2 vets, I agree. What I disagree with is saying there is a "white power" vibe based on one photo.
I respect your opinion as well, and I'm not saying you cannot use photos of Nazi's in a historical context of WWII.

However, honoring the exploits of our vets who defeated these war criminals by posting a colorized picture of one of them on their Facebook page? C'mon now. With white nationalism now becoming an issue too?

Let's not put our heads in the sand.

Old 12-19-2019, 10:00 AM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I respect your opinion as well, and I'm not saying you cannot use photos of Nazi's in a historical context of WWII.

However, honoring the exploits of our vets who defeated these war criminals by posting a colorized picture of one of them on their Facebook page? C'mon now. With white nationalism now becoming an issue too?

Let's not put our heads in the sand.
True

Old 12-19-2019, 01:44 PM

27,194 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You think those surviving vets would like to see Blowtorch Peiper on their unit Facebook page?

Yea, what a great honor. I'm guessing whoever put that page together don't know squat about their actions in December 1944.
They captured a Nazi leader, so welll done for stopping an evil man.

The US and British Airborne worked closely together during the Battle of the Bulge and I have nothing but praise for the US Airborne.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:04 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They captured a Nazi leader, so welll done for stopping an evil man.

The US and British Airborne worked closely together during the Battle of the Bulge and I have nothing but praise for the US Airborne.
Operation Market Garden was a disaster, better that Monty let Ike do the heavy lifting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies