Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 01:54 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,607,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
No dog will kill someone, until they do.

Ok, they are great pets (until they arent).

Why risk it when you can get a breed that has very little risk? Is it to prove something?

I would never risk getting a Pit Bull. Plus I typically also hunt with my dogs, so prefer pointer/retrievers, so they don't interest me anyway. I am sure many are fine, but as you say why take the risk when they could be a ticking time bomb.

I have noticed that younger women seem to be getting them more often, I assume for protection purposes if they live alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 01:55 PM

17,817 posts, read 13,724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Actually, three people were killed by pit bull this week in America. The woman in Texas (another woman severely injured in that attack): https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Vi...566411891.html

A woman in Rhode Island: https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/12/...y-dog-seizure/

And a man in Oklahoma: https://www.kxii.com/content/news/Br...566366771.html

Meanwhile many people were mauled this week. Season's Greetings guys!

Why is this not allowed in Current Events? It is current event.
The Oklahoma guy was killed by a pack of blue healers. Not a pit bull.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:06 PM

33,566 posts, read 37,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Actually if you read the statistics many other breeds killed more people every year like shepherds. You can train any breed to attack. I have no dog in this fight as I have Maltese. I had a big dog that I was walking being attacked by a off leash pit for no reason. The owner had him off leash in a park full of kids. Obviously a bad owner that trained him to be mean.
You're a teacher? Yet you cannot read the statistics?

The following infographic shows that the Pit Bull is still responsible for the most fatal attacks in the U.S. by far, killing 284 people over that 13-year period - 66 percent of total fatalities. That's despite the breed accounting for just 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#67ae668062f8

Old 12-22-2019, 02:07 PM

5,863 posts, read 3,303,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I've seen this happen too many times. That breed should be banned and extinguished. They're a menace to society.
That's the best part about the USA. You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. I love pitbulls. No matter how much you and others hate them I am allowed to have them. Makes me even happier when I see how people like you hate them.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:10 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,362,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
The Oklahoma guy was killed by a pack of blue healers. Not a pit bull.
They are pit bull cattle dog crosses: https://blog.dogsbite.org/2019/12/ma...-oklahoma.html

Old 12-22-2019, 02:20 PM

19,727 posts, read 10,144,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
That's the best part about the USA. You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. I love pitbulls. No matter how much you and others hate them I am allowed to have them. Makes me even happier when I see how people like you hate them.
I hope yours never attack anyone. If they do, I hope you go to prison. It would only be fair.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:20 PM

7,168 posts, read 4,567,553 times
Pit bulls were considered the nanny dog in the 1940.s. Remember the TV show little Rascals? When people worked outside the pit would guard the baby on a blanket and if the kid crawled away they were pull them back on by their clothes. I admit that the last time I looked at statistics was a year ago. I really wish all breeds were stopped from overbreeding as we are killing healthy dogs all over the country while puppymills continue to breed.

Old 12-22-2019, 02:49 PM

2,915 posts, read 1,362,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Pit bulls were considered the nanny dog in the 1940.s. Remember the TV show little Rascals? When people worked outside the pit would guard the baby on a blanket and if the kid crawled away they were pull them back on by their clothes. I admit that the last time I looked at statistics was a year ago. I really wish all breeds were stopped from overbreeding as we are killing healthy dogs all over the country while puppymills continue to breed.
In the 1940 they were well known to be fighting dogs. They were first called nanny dogs in 1987 by a dog breeder who made that "fact" up.

https://thetruthaboutpitbulls.blogsp...-revealed.html

Where are those statistics from a year ago and did they really prove what you claimed?

Old 12-22-2019, 03:03 PM

1,711 posts, read 810,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I hope yours never attack anyone. If they do, I hope you go to prison. It would only be fair.
Agree. It's all hugs and snuggles until the wrong impulse clicks in. Nothing bad will probably happen but the risk reward is not good. Get a golden and never spend a second even thinking about it.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:06 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,600,838 times
Severe penalties for dog owners, regardless the breed. A Pomeranian killed a baby several years back. There should be mandatory dog training tests. You will be allowed to have a dog license if you and your dog pass a simple basic commands test. Also yard must have fence a dog can't jump over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies