Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 03:35 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Ocean, I have never owned a pitbull. We are Maltese people and had the husky/shepherd mix because my son could no longer keep him. Last time I looked up the statistics a year ago it’s as I stated. I was almost killed once by a shepherd that jumped his 6 ft fence. My husband saved me and the dog knocked him down and was going for his throat. We threatened to sue the owners if they didn’t put him down because the subdivision was full of small children. I have no clue if this dog had been abused. There are no bad breeds.

You must have looked up statistics on something else or have a faulty memory. We've given you verifiable links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2019, 03:51 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Pit bulls were considered the nanny dog in the 1940.s. Remember the TV show little Rascals? When people worked outside the pit would guard the baby on a blanket and if the kid crawled away they were pull them back on by their clothes. I admit that the last time I looked at statistics was a year ago. I really wish all breeds were stopped from overbreeding as we are killing healthy dogs all over the country while puppymills continue to breed.

More anecdotal stories, still no stats to back up your claim. No, german shephers did not cause the most deaths a year ago. Or the year before that. Maybe not ever.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:54 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,776,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
That's the best part about the USA. You are entitled to your opinion. I am entitled to mine. I love pitbulls. No matter how much you and others hate them I am allowed to have them. Makes me even happier when I see how people like you hate them.

I understand where you're coming from, I hate to be told what I can and can't do on something I consider a personal choice (as in the breed of dog I own) and feel people should mind their own business but I'm intelligent enough to know there are circumstances which should never be ignored simply becuase I feel like ignoring them or think I'm smarter or nah, never happen with my precious doggie because he's not a vicious dog, he's friendly and loving.

The rest of your life is a long time to live with the consequences if your loving dog abruptly goes completely out of character on a moment's notice and attacks and kills or severely injures a small child or an adult. There's no do overs for an action like this and it's too late to say I'm sorry, I should have listened.

I don't hate the dogs but I do hate what they were bred for and it is bred into their very nature and like I said earlier, the poor dogs can't help it. But all of that aside, the risk is there and although I know there can be risks with any animal, the history of the pit bull is common enough knowledge that everyone should be educated about them by now. And no, your dog (or dogs) have not been and are not now, special. You've just been fortunate. You could own pits all your life and never have anything bad happen, but then again, there's that inbred chance and that's why people need to ask themselves is it worth it, can I live with knowing I could have prevented a tragedy if one does indeed happen. This recent attack in Texas tells you the people suffering from it don't care how loving and friendly your pit bull is and if the same had happen to you, you wouldn't be so quick to champion the breed yourself, that is if you survived the attack to be able to do anything.

I sure know I wouldn't want someone's blood on my hands just because I thought I knew better than anyone else about a situation simply because I had never experienced personal problems with it and so therefore it didn't exist unless it was a special occasion where the dog had been mistreated or taunted into attacking.

We live with the consequences of our actions. I pray for the potential victim it never happens in your case.

Old 12-22-2019, 03:58 PM

29,523 posts, read 22,680,154 times
Not that I care either way, but I find the double standards by some quite fascinating.

The very same people that think it is justified to hold negative biases against certain 'groups' of people based on the criminal statistics, are the very same people that think it is unjustified for others to say anything remotely negative about pit bulls despite the statistics, and will defend to the very ends of the earth the nobility of the breed and their right to own it.

Yup, hypocrisy and double standards as always.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:02 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Issue is the classification of what a "pitbull" is, as one it is not an official breed, and two, way too many "pitbull mix" stories.

I am more for just more enforced and serious dangerous dog legislation, no matter the breed. Ban pitbulls today, the idiot trash will just create another dangerous breed tomorrow, because that is how they work. If you go by looks, well, that is pretty subjective, we even had a case here in Miami where the initial story was "pitbull" but turned out to be boxers but hey, the people thought they looked like pitbulls because they really have zero clue about dogs. Another issue is that any dog having the Molosser traits, automatically gets tossed the "pitbull" or "pitbull mix" tag.

To add, many, many of these dog attack stories, the owner has a list of complaints against them for their dog beforehand, often going back years.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:04 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,398,078 times
Quote:
Actually if you read the statistics many other breeds killed more people every year like shepherds. You can train any breed to attack. I have no dog in this fight as I have Maltese. I had a big dog that I was walking being attacked by a off leash pit for no reason. The owner had him off leash in a park full of kids. Obviously a bad owner that trained him to be mean.
Source?

Oh, and I'm also calling bull ****!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_..._United_States

Old 12-22-2019, 04:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
This is why pit bulls should at least require $1 million in insurance to own. Or be illegal.
It was more the pack mentality, than a single dog of any breed.

My labs get in their pack mentality! I have to watch what they are interested in all the time, out in the pasture. When I had my pitbull, he was a teddybear with people. If you broke into my house, he'd help you pack it out. Now, other male dogs his size or bigger!!!! That was a problem.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not that I care either way, but I find the double standards by some quite fascinating.

The very same people that think it is justified to hold negative biases against certain 'groups' of people based on the criminal statistics, are the very same people that think it is unjustified for others to say anything remotely negative about pit bulls despite the statistics, and will defend to the very ends of the earth the nobility of the breed and their right to own it.

Yup, hypocrisy and double standards as always.
Likewise, the very same people who think is is horrible and immoral to hold negative bias against certain groups of people based on criminal statistics, are all in favor of doing so when it comes to this issue.

But fact is, there are 3.6 million pit bulls in the US, the chances of being attacked and killed is rare given how many there are. Over ten years, there were 3500 instances of attacks. This is actually an absurdly small number to be of any concerned about. For example, a kid has more of a chance being killed or injured by their parents than by a pitbull or any dog for that matter. A regular adult person has many more times a chance being a victim of violence from another person than from a pitbull and even any dog.

Not saying ignore, but certainly should not be hyped up as it is.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:20 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,138,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Likewise, the very same people who think is is horrible and immoral to hold negative bias against certain groups of people based on criminal statistics, are all in favor of doing so when it comes to this issue.

But fact is, there are 3.6 million pit bulls in the US, the chances of being attacked and killed is rare given how many there are. Over ten years, there were 3500 instances of attacks. This is actually an absurdly small number to be of any concerned about. For example, a kid has more of a chance being killed or injured by their parents than by a pitbull or any dog for that matter. A regular adult person has many more times a chance being a victim of violence from another person than from a pitbull and even any dog.

Not saying ignore, but certainly should not be hyped up as it is.
True, but if you are going to be mauled by a dog, odds are it will be a pitbull.

Old 12-22-2019, 04:24 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
its a controversy. there are actually people who think Pit-bulls make great pets.
I’ve had friendly debates with a former coworker who had one of these beasts and claimed they’re all misunderstood sweethearts. The picture she painted was pit bulls spending their days romping through a field chasing butterflies.

BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies